Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Koi (Pics) (Download)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the map runs now, after a fashion.
    I get about 12fps
    I can see its a lovely looking map but i fear that for many its going to be unplayable if one wants all the eye candy on max. I'm not a competitive player. I play UT3 because many of the maps are just gorgeous to look at.
    So far I've found about 10 maps out of the 35 gigs of content I've collected that my kit just wont cope with. Unfortunately it looks like this is going to join the list

Comment

Looks great but performance is appalling. My PC is way beyond recommended spec for this game and runs every other map ive tried at very good fps but this map never goes above 10fps (and is usually around 4-5 fps) making it utterly unplayable

Comment

hey

just played the map; you re a pure artist mate and this map seem to be build to please our eyes

on the good side:

-UR MONTAINS ARE SUPERBS!...and ur lighting too

-the fowers are beautifull (especially the trees in floraison)

- the electical "line" & road looks very realistic...

-what a fun moment to swimm with thoses big fishes!

- the music fit to the place like a glove

- the sky is nice too but perhaps it had look more true if u slow the speed a little....such a fast moove in clouds dont really match with the peacefull aspect of the sky

-ur grass repartition is subbtle and homogen ;good job
        the only point i dislike in ur vegetation is thoses stock flat foliages meshes that u have use on the wall behind the public benches....when u stand close to the wall and watch their profile they looks surnatural.....too flat(2D aspect) and fake(brillance like plastic) ...i never saw anyone using them with a 100% successful result( visually^^)

i have note several details that need to be polish though:

-a lot of trees are floatting and not correctly "in the ground"

-when u swimm under water quite nothing touch the ground (vegetals & bridge ...)

-the waterfall is nice from far but when u look at it closer it have a weird angulus and "2D" aspect

on the playable side:

-fps was constantly between 20 and 70 and that s not a lot ; i bet that ur asskicking lighting eats a lot

-in the little house:
        * u can stand "in" the big window
        *if it s easy to open the door from the outside it s pure hell to go out...i have succed but after 5 dancing minutes
        *the house is undersized compared to the player size

-the gameplay is "light" and need some work imho; it was more a ballad around the lake than a real match

-thoses blocking volumes all around the map are brutal and make no sence...why dont u add some woods or anything else to materialise the limits....or something original like a lethal road with killer/drivers ?

-i was stuck in several places between rocks; roots & troncs

other details:

-no info on playercount author and no preview pict

-there s a file named "my package"...lol...not really a good idea imo

-it s totally incredible to see how many times u have use the same "trees" static mesh without bringing a repetitive feeling to the map...u re mastering vegetals

all that to try to improve this awesome arena....dont be wrong on my comments

this map is unique and probably one of the best i ve seen so far but some "details" dont make justice to the time you ve spend on it....hopefully it s a beta

Comment

I agree with Bl!tz almost 100%. Artistically, it's a very beautiful piece of work, and really shows off your talents and the Unreal engine. I think you have added some great touches to the map, especially the sky (albeit the clouds move too fast), the music, and the koi in the water.

The blocking volumes are incredibly annoying and I also got stuck in a number of places. I also found that the bot pathing behavior in the water was uneven, and this is a problem considering that the pond is central to the entire map. One question I do have - what's with the oven laying out by the house? It's funny, but it also seems really out of place to me.

I can't quite figure out the brightness of everything - all the flowers seem too brilliant and plastic, much like what Bl!tz said. Is there any way to tone that down?

I found the frame rates to be just fine, but I am running on a rather high-end system, far exceeding games specs. I hestitate to even try this map out on my secondary system (which is just a bit over game spec).

Great work demonstrating your skills and creativity. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
            hey

on the playable side:

-fps was constantly between 20 and 70 and that s not a lot ; i bet that ur asskicking lighting eats a lot

-in the little house:
            * u can stand "in" the big window
            *if it s easy to open the door from the outside it s pure hell to go out...i have succed but after 5 dancing minutes
            *the house is undersized compared to the player size

-the gameplay is "light" and need some work imho; it was more a ballad around the lake than a real match

-thoses blocking volumes all around the map are brutal and make no sence...why dont u add some woods or anything else to materialise the limits....or something original like a lethal road with killer/drivers ?

-i was stuck in several places between rocks; roots & troncs
            The lighting is what's eating up all the performance. On my system I get around 30 fps with everything turned up. I'll probably end up releasing the night version of the map for people who don't have higher end systems. The performance on the night version is around 70-90 fps. So performance is 2x+. I didn't end up putting any collision on the house and i forgot I cut a hole out for the window. I'll fix that. Same thing with the door, I'm going to change the direction so it swings out instead of in when your inside the house. I'll probably add some natural barriers later and remove the blocking volumes.

Originally posted by mrkcr84 View Post
            I agree with Bl!tz almost 100%. Artistically, it's a very beautiful piece of work, and really shows off your talents and the Unreal engine. I think you have added some great touches to the map, especially the sky (albeit the clouds move too fast), the music, and the koi in the water.

The blocking volumes are incredibly annoying and I also got stuck in a number of places. I also found that the bot pathing behavior in the water was uneven, and this is a problem considering that the pond is central to the entire map. One question I do have - what's with the oven laying out by the house? It's funny, but it also seems really out of place to me.

I can't quite figure out the brightness of everything - all the flowers seem too brilliant and plastic, much like what Bl!tz said. Is there any way to tone that down?

I found the frame rates to be just fine, but I am running on a rather high-end system, far exceeding games specs. I hestitate to even try this map out on my secondary system (which is just a bit over game spec).

Great work demonstrating your skills and creativity. Thanks for sharing.
            The brightness has to do with the bloom settings in the post process volume for the map. Funny thing is that it's half of what the default values are, but come on, who doesn't like magic glowing flowers =)? The oven is a funny story. Originally I had planned to have the house be more central to the map, it was going to be 3 times bigger then what it is with lots of room inside. So when I started out building my map I wanted it to be furnished like a real house would. I built a bunch of meshes for it. Tables, chairs, couch, refrigerator, oven. When I started doing the terrain I decided to reduce the scope of it. The oven was only house mesh I had gotten into the game at the time. I had set up 50 of them around the map to test my lighting. When it came time to publish the map I still had the 1 left outside beside the house. I didn't think many people would go inside the house and see that one because it's not readily apparent that the door opens. So I ended up leaving that one outside the house in the map. Just in case you wanted to cook some burgers outside.

Comment

Map looks really great, I can't really say that about the gameplay. First of, the performance is horrible and also, the map is very open.

So I opened the map in editor to see why the performance is so bad and here's what might be causing it.

1. Toggleable DirectionalLight, these have proven to be quite a performance destroyer, I would advise to not use these unless they are really needed. In this case, no. Not needed.

2. There are over 300 SpeedTree actors, these aswell cost ALOT of fps, replace most of them with meshes would probably improve the performance.

3. Terrain, the terrain is huge and probably comes with a price. Although, there's not really anything to do about this.

That's all I can think of for now.

Other suggestions:

1. Grass meshes doesn't look too good.

2. Sky, the clouds are as some have already pointed out moving too fast. But also, the outer areas of the skydomes makes the clouds look stretched out and unrealistic.

3. Blocking volumes, it's very annoying when the playable area ends like that, ppl have already pointed this out so I guess you know about it :P

4. I noticed you saved all your custom stuff in another package called MyPackage, I wouldn't do that. Instead move them to the package of the map, in this case "DM-Koi".

Comment

I wanted to play with the map, first version I've dwn make the game crash & second take forever to download. Would be cool to use a faster host like mediafire.

BTW, I suggest you use the standard naming for your map so we know exactly which version it is. You can find that info on my homepage under the games\generic information page.

I have now the last version so I'll hopefully be able to post something maybe tonight (3 AM here...) or later today.

Comment

FPS is a big problem with this map I averge 22 fps with everything set highest.

Also Bot pathing seem off as well.

Comment

I like asian theme maps, this one looks nice but, unfortunatelly, unplayable coz very low fps (15-20) with everything on max.
                    Your water plants, like grass, have no roots.

Comment

very beautiful artistic map that makes you want to explore. being a non mapper i get easily bored with the usual maps i see around here. didnt have an issue with framerate, as i own a i7 920/gtx285 rig. This maps feels very alive and natural. the water, esp the pond area is nice. the fishes swimming are a nice touch.

-the sky seems to have a pinkish tint over which i would prefer light blue.
                      - flowers could have a little less bloom
                      -the door of the house could be made bigger
                      -once inside the door opens towards you making it difficult to get out.
                      -picket fences at the boundaries perhaps?

Comment

after loading I returned on desk and i have a "runtime error"

(of course a have lastest patch and driver and micosoftc++)

Comment

Maybe you downloaded the older version?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert M View Post
                            Maybe you downloaded the older version?
                            yes, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Zerglings View Post
                              FPS is a big problem with this map I averge 22 fps with everything set highest.

Also Bot pathing seem off as well.
                              +1 to the FPS

The map is visually stunning. Awesome work! The game play is rough due to low FPS seems choppy. Also the colors are a bit extreme (mostly the flowers), which is hard on the eyes.

Good Work Thank You

Comment

Thanks, I'll get set to fix a lot of the things people mentioned in previous posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X