• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Magma (Beta 4)

Name: CTF-Magma

Version: Beta 4

Compatibility: UT3 Version 2.1 with Titan pack

Description: A near faithful recreation of the UT2004 map CTF-Magma.

Comments: This map is in Late Beta stages. Much work was spent on vertex painting and recreating multiple UV layer and light mapping. The lightning gun that was placed on top of the volcano has been replaced by a shield generator any constructive comments welcome ENJOY!!!

Change Log:- Beta 4
    Implemented music track KR-Infernal-Realm and stinger sounds

Replaced shield gen on top of volcano with super health

Reduced bloom on flames & scaling

Minor bot pathing alterations

Slowed lava flow

Slowed volcano eruption effect

Change Log:- Beta 3
    Implemented UTtranslocatordest actor to encourage bots to use translocator ( bot skill must be greater than average to work)

Placed blocking volume at base of volcano path to reduce collision problem

Reoriented spawn points to face possible attackers or action

Assigned defence points to flag bases

Realigned and tightened bot pathing and mirrored to match both sides of map

Rotated flame particles in a random manor to reduce repetition

Raised killzone so when you fall into the cave lava pool you die instantly

Completed the implementation of fallback materials

Light mapped more volcanic rocks to complete lighting

And many more minor modifications

Ongoing issues
    The collision problem half way up the volcano path is still a problem this is due to an inclination problem and would require a significant reworking of the volcano mesh which I am not willing to do so jump over it.

For reasonable game play set bots to skilled or higher
    Compressed to cabinet format winrar and WinZip will extract

Credits:

Epic
    udn.epicgames.com
    Hourences - Tutorials
    DGUnreal - Tutorials
    The forum community
    1XTreme - testing
    keyser325 - testing

Looks great

Ill give it try later .

i prefer the classic look to the red version but thats just down my personal taste
    Some people will prefer the red version .

Good to have the choice of the 2 versions

Great work by both authors on there respected versions

Comment

Looks good will download and test this ASAP, i noticed about 10 downloads on your filefront mirror, hopefully you'll get some feedback in return.

I absolutely intend to return and provide you with a detailed feedback on this one.

Thx a bunch for bringing this one forward!

Comment

Is this a conversion or a remake from scratch.

Comment

@UTGangster

This map is a conversion, I have not tried to add to the map in any extensive way, only to adjust to unreal engine 3 and make use of lightmaps.

Comment

Now that is Magma! Very Beautiful. I really liked this map and am happy to be able to play such a quality conversion. Thank You. Now all I need is a bottle of jack a 12er of Coors Lite and yoda excessively rocketing launching his butt across the map

Comment

Perfection in the making - excellent work & big kudos.

This map is beautiful! what more can i say about it. I'm happy that you decided to create a faithful remake with this one for the fact that it one of the few retail 2003 maps that was near perfection in its design, from a dedicated CTF (official ladder champions) point of view; the quality was superior and far above the majority of the retail maps IMO, the ambient effects, the visuals, the layout amounted to an over all design of an incredible map. Fun to play and fun to look at.

As far as your work so far this is what i have to offer in the way of feedback; (hopefully this helps)

• The ambient sounds are great!
              • The lighting is as close to perfection as i've seen.
              • You've made excellent use of PP effects.
              • The pathing spacing seems to be good.
              • You've done an excellent job in cascade with the effects.
              • The speed of the lifts in the castles are appropriate, i've seen so many slow moving lifts in UT3 its nice to see this right.
              • Double check; you possibly need to orient some of the spawn positions so they are all facing appropriately it seemed a couple of times i spawned and was facing the wrong direction but i could be wrong.
              • Your defense points need to be assigned to something (each flag in the bases perhaps?) otherwise the AI will ignore them.
              • I've noticed in the editor that there aren't any translocator paths, the bots likely won't go up to the middle or to the redeemer with out them.
              • In the middle when you fall into the lava there is a delay in death, (slow death) the original was instant AFAIK & remember. SS#1 below
              • There's an issue with the pathways that players get stuck on. SS#2 & #3 below, its the worst near the bottom, but it happens in the middle around the bend as well.
              • Friendly heads-up to ad some type of sound to the steam vent. SS#4 below
              [SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Magma/Magma-middle-02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Magma/Magma-path-01.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Magma/Magma-path-02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Magma/Magma-steamvent.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

This would be optional-
              But in the previous version it was possible to continue on this path around the corner and dodge and jump to the very top! (i remember very well being mostly an IG player) Perhaps consider a gravity volume so you can dodge jump all the way to the top on the sides? - just to keep it authentic to the 03/04 version? give it some thought anyway, IMO obviously it will be impossible to duplicate the physics and gravity from UT2 to UT3 however it might be possible to duplicate the gameplay with some keen improvising.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Magma/Magma-alt-route.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Don't forget to include KR-Infernal-Realm for the soundtrack

P.S. Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner thalos, been real busy. I'll be more than happy to test more or help any way i can, feel free to contact me.

Keep up the good work and huge thanks for bringing this forward.

Comment

@1XTreme
                Thanks for the constructive comments and issues you have raised below

Double check; you possibly need to orient some of the spawn positions so they are all facing appropriately it seemed a couple of times I spawned and was facing the wrong direction but I could be wrong.
                I have reoriented some spawn points to face the direction of possible attackers or action DONE

Your defence points need to be assigned to something (each flag in the bases perhaps?) otherwise the AI will ignore them.

Assigned to flag base’s DONE

I've noticed in the editor that there aren't any translocations paths, the bots likely won't go up to the middle or to the redeemer with out them.
                I need to look into this issue and research it, pathing is not my strong point!! INVESTIGATING

In the middle when you fall into the lava there is a delay in death, (slow death) the original was instant AFAIK & remember. SS#1 below
                Kill zone raised by 90 units, you die instantly when you touch bottem now and increased lava damage from 40 to 50 DONE

There's an issue with the pathways that players get stuck on. SS#2 & #3 below, its the worst near the bottom, but it happens in the middle around the bend as well.
                This is an ongoing anoying issue that I have not managed to solve yet the gradient / incline is a bit steep for the ut3 engine. I have tried gravity volumes and with various setting with little effect. I have tried to smooth the mesh in max to ease walking up the gradient but that failed so at the moment I am out of ideas at this time. SOLUITION UNKNOWN

Friendly heads-up to ad some type of sound to the steam vent. SS#4 below
                I have boosted the volume on the vents from 3 to 10 in the sound cue editor you can here the vent now DONE

Don't forget to include KR-Infernal-Realm for the soundtrack
                Added and tested but I decided not to use the music it overwhelms the ambient sound effects

I have addressed the simple issues but the getting stuck on the volcano path and translocation issues will take more time and thought. The dodging and the soundtrack should be ok but I will focus on the other issues first, i will post if i suceed or fail in a week or two

Comment

Man, so much hating on the red version...ah well, to each their own.

Looks great, Thalos. I really like the theme. Particle systems look really cool and way different than mine. The lighting looks really good as well, those lightmaps help a lot on the relatively low-poly meshes from the 2k3 version. Very true to the original, overall.

Some things... Bots will use pathnodes that aren't specifically made translocator targets, but it seems as if it's either an always/never situation. For example, changing the ExtraCost of the NavigationPoint properties will "trick" the bot into thinking it's a shorter path. Problem is, he will often use it every time in uninterrupted situations.

The sticky spot at the volcano base is quite a pain. Try making a blocking volume to encase the entire area where the player gets stuck. Move the vertices until you get the slope right for the player to navigate up smoothly. You can open my stage in the editor to get an idea if you want.

The other tough incline is worse by a long shot. I never did figure out how to fix it. I made a lava projectile hit in the general vicinity to deter most players from clinging to the incline area and getting stuck haha.

I don't think there are any huge problems that need fixing. Like i said, it's very true to the original. Subsequently, some of the textures seem a little lower res than usual (in the context of ut3), like the lavawalk material, the top of the castle, and a few other places. But i'm suspecting this was intention in the first place.

Great job and thanks for releasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by keyser325 View Post
                    Man, so much hating on the red version...ah well, to each their own.
                    keyser
                    I hope you didn't take my comments personal. I was just giving you feedback. I do really like your map. Not to mention it is great to have choices, some may like to play something a little more classic where others may want to play an older map with a new feel to it. I think that if anyone is willing to take their personal time and make maps that is awesome. I did give you 5 stars for your map. I hope that people can help to keep the mappers of this community motivated as it makes for a better gaming experience. Thank You for the time you take to help the UT community out. I think it is awesome that you are on this thread with ideas for fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by thalos View Post
                      @1XTreme
                      Thanks for the constructive comments and issues you have raised below

I have reoriented some spawn points to face the direction of possible attackers or action DONE

Assigned to flag base’s DONE

I need to look into this issue and research it, pathing is not my strong point!! INVESTIGATING

Kill zone raised by 90 units, you die instantly when you touch bottem now and increased lava damage from 40 to 50 DONE

This is an ongoing anoying issue that I have not managed to solve yet the gradient / incline is a bit steep for the ut3 engine. I have tried gravity volumes and with various setting with little effect. I have tried to smooth the mesh in max to ease walking up the gradient but that failed so at the moment I am out of ideas at this time. SOLUITION UNKNOWN

I have boosted the volume on the vents from 3 to 10 in the sound cue editor you can here the vent now DONE

Added and tested but I decided not to use the music it overwhelms the ambient sound effects

I have addressed the simple issues but the getting stuck on the volcano path and translocation issues will take more time and thought. The dodging and the soundtrack should be ok but I will focus on the other issues first, i will post if i suceed or fail in a week or two
                      Gotcha! (your welcome)

I was wondering if blocking volumes might help in the areas where we are getting hung up, keyser has mentioned this as well, there are several other possibilities i've thought about (i'm 100% confident the issue can be resolved) - you seem both resourceful and competent, i'm sure you'll get it, i'll help and i have friends who will also help if you hit a roadblock, let us know how it goes. We appreciate your hard work on this one and thanks for sharing it with the CTF community, as it sits your work is one of the cleanest CTF faithful remakes i've seen to date for UT3.

As far as the music track i respect your choice on that, it might cause some others to be bummed out, they'll just have to live with it.

The music can be turned down though so maybe keep an open mind to include it, just make sure you set the sound group by r. clicking on the audiotrack.cue file then selecting music, if you go with it after all; also make sure that you ad a loop in the sound cue editor in front of the attenuation. (needless to say my vote would be in favor of the music, but i'm 100% behind you either way) I'd also suggest to use some stinger sound cue's one way or the other to really make this baby UT3 next-gen you've accomplished everything else IMO, it would only be icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Gussie[MK] View Post
                        keyser
                        I hope you didn't take my comments personal. I was just giving you feedback. I do really like your map. Not to mention it is great to have choices, some may like to play something a little more classic where others may want to play an older map with a new feel to it. I think that if anyone is willing to take their personal time and make maps that is awesome. I did give you 5 stars for your map. I hope that people can help to keep the mappers of this community motivated as it makes for a better gaming experience. Thank You for the time you take to help the UT community out. I think it is awesome that you are on this thread with ideas for fixes.
                        +1 to all that...and honnestly both versions will end in my keeper list....red colored or not

nice job, i m admirative for such lava mastering thx for ur work mates

Comment

@1XTreme

I have reduced the collision problem on the volcano by 50% by using a blocking volume at its base, as for the translocator paths I have replace some path nodes with some UTtranslocatordest Actors these work well but the bot’s skill level has to be set above average if not the engine will not consider using translocators.

At the moment I am mirroring the path nodes, light mapping the lava rocks and a bit of material tweaking.
                          I should be releasing a new beta in about a week.

And one again thanks to all who gave feedback

Comment

Originally posted by thalos View Post
                            @1XTreme

I have reduced the collision problem on the volcano by 50% by using a blocking volume at its base, as for the translocator paths I have replace some path nodes with some UTtranslocatordest Actors these work well but the bot’s skill level has to be set above average if not the engine will not consider using translocators.

At the moment I am mirroring the path nodes, light mapping the lava rocks and a bit of material tweaking.
                            I should be releasing a new beta in about a week.

And one again thanks to all who gave feedback
                            Thx for the update.

Glad to hear your making progress on the collision problem.

AI have tendencies to ignore UTtranslocatordest on lower skill settings in general more than map specific. (many have likely dealt with the same issue) Look forward to the next Beta. (will do more testing when available)

Carry on soldier.

Comment

Beta 3 released

Main post also updated

Change Log:- Beta 3
                              Implemented UTtranslocatordest actor to encourage bots to use translocator ( bot skill must be greater than average to work)

Placed blocking volume at base of volcano path to reduce collision problem

Reoriented spawn points to face possible attackers or action

Assigned defence points to flag bases

Realigned and tightened bot pathing and mirrored to match both sides of map

Rotated flame particles in a random manor to reduce repetition

Raised killzone so when you fall into the cave lava pool you die instantly

Completed the implementation of fallback materials

Light mapped more volcanic rocks to complete lighting

And many more minor modifications

Ongoing issues
                              The collision problem half way up the volcano path is still a problem this is due to an inclination problem and would require a significant reworking of the volcano mesh which I am not willing to do so jump over it.

For reasonable game play set bots to skilled or higher
                              Compressed to cabinet format winrar and WinZip will extract

Download: filefront

Download: megaupload

Comment

Working...
                              X