No announcement yet.

CTF-Magma (Beta 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@FewPosts, i can see where you might think that way, so i'm not ******* you but rather supporting the publisher with the following.

I actually like the borders personally, it defines the Lava / Magma from the hardened Lava-Rock, it's also authentic to the original which i believe is the goal with this one. Big huge props to Thalos for such an excellent job in this faithful remake, the high quality and finely detailed work are quite evident IMHO.

Thalos, we played this some more, the flow is excellent, it runs nicely on Weapons and on Instagib as well (this map was quite popular on the IG circuit in 2KX) one thing though we couldn't seem to make good use of the pickup ontop of the volcano, i know there are sniper rifles in the castles but since the original was the zoom-lighting gun perhaps another sniper rifle there or maybe a reward such as superhealth if your against the idea of redundant pickups. Not too sure about this, just wanted to offer a bit of input.

Hows things coming along with this? and when can we expect the next beta? No rush just curious more than anything friend. My .02 is don't be in a hurry take your time until your satisfied and all the feedback trickles in, if you don't mind i'll post about this Beta (link to this thread) in my remake thread at BU.

Comment

@1XTreme I have added KR-Infernal-Realm audio track, added stinger soundtrack (I still find the implementation of this unreliable not all sounds will play) , minor tweaks to reduced bloom on flames and I have reduced the speed of the lavaflow.
      As for the shield gen on top of volcano I will replace with super health.
      As for the collision problem half way up the volcano path still no solution I still believe it is an inclination problem and so not fixable, I will release a beta 4 within a week.

Comment

Awesome news!

(changes sound good) - this thread has turned out to be my favorite UT3 WIP (in the making) thread.

Then we'll look forward to the next beta soon.

Couple of fast things on stingers, i'd suggest to look at this tutorial and copy an epic music pack then use your KR-Infernal-Realm as explained.

As far as music and stingers I have a fair amount of experience in this area so i might be able to help ya, (while i fully trust your judgment based on your quality work thus far) let me offer the following in the way of feedback / suggestions.

I would suggest for you to look at A_Music_Arrangements.Tracks.A_Music_RomUT07_A

If you want to see how these stingers work / sound in game you can test this map CTF-Citadel-UT3

- I think those stingers would compliment your map nicely, also remember if you go with the the tutorial above and use an epic package you can take it a step further and you can copy the stinger sound cues into your map package (they'll use virtually no space) so you can adjust (lower) the Volume multiplier, by; for example loading the entire package then clicking on the log tab of the generic browser then type obj savepackage file=temp package=A_Music_RomUT01 then you can r.click on the stinger sound cues and copy them to your map so you can adjust the volume, you can also set the Sound Groups to Stingers (by default - they are set to music - which is a minor bug in my experience) Be sure to set the "Sound Groups" to Music on the sound cue file for your KR-Infernal-Realm music otherwise you will have no ingame volume control, lastly you need to include a looping in the Sound Cue Editor of your custom track, place that in front of the attenuation.

Hope that helps.

I included a link to this thread in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by thalos View Post
          @1XTreme I have added KR-Infernal-Realm audio track, added stinger soundtrack (I still find the implementation of this unreliable not all sounds will play) , minor tweaks to reduced bloom on flames and I have reduced the speed of the lavaflow.
          As for the shield gen on top of volcano I will replace with super health.
          As for the collision problem half way up the volcano path still no solution I still believe it is an inclination problem and so not fixable, I will release a beta 4 within a week.
          Wow! That is great to hear. I can't wait to see and hear the progress on Magma. Keep up the good work and Thank You.

As a side note it really awesome that you are willing to listen to the community, I for one appreciate it.

Comment

@1XTreme Thanks for the info & links I now have the stinger sounds working (strange how they only work if duplicated? (solved if the tempo is set to low they wont work 100-160 gets the stingers working))

@Gussie[MK] I am always willing to listen to constructive comments and peoples opinions anything that helps.

As for the map I will release beta 4 at or just after the weekend

Thanks to all

Comment

This is a real 1st rate quality remake here - some minor issues (whatever's already been mentioned on the thread) but overall it's more fun to play than any of the UT3 stock CTF maps now (for me at least)

props

Comment

beta 4 released

enjoy all

primary page also updated

Change Log:- Beta 4
                Implemented music track KR-Infernal-Realm and stinger sounds

Replaced shield gen on top of volcano with super health

Reduced bloom on flames & scaling

Minor bot pathing alterations

Slowed lava flow

Slowed volcano eruption effect

Ongoing issues
                The collision problem half way up the volcano path is still a problem this is due to an inclination problem and would require a significant reworking of the volcano mesh which I am not willing to do so jump over it.

The usual bots occasionally behaving strangely (reduce this by increasing the skill level)
                Compressed to cabinet format winrar and WinZip will extract

Download: filefront

Download: megaupload

Comment

Really loved this map, it's gorgeous and plays well, even if the bots do tend to all go in the same direction all of the time.

The only problem I had with it was a real lack of health pickups. The Health Vials are great and all, but the bots tend to hog them up constantly. More than a couple of times, I ended up with 30 or less health and could not for the life of me find an available pickup. Mind you, there's no need to add a bunch of them, but maybe add one extra one next to the one in the center of the map and replace a vial at the base with an actual med health pickup...

Either way, it's a great map. I personally couldn't find any collision problems.

Comment

@ShadeMistress I see your point the vials do out number the health pick ups considerably I could place another health pickup in the volcano cave on the opposite side to the one that exits already near the ammo pickups, this would also balance the map a bit more.

I could remove the vials on the rocks in the lava pool and replace it with one health pickup this would incorporate a element of risk to obtain the pickup if you miss your jump you get cooked

If any of theses suggestions sound positive I will implement them

Comments welcome?

also thanks for the positive feedback to all

Comment

Thanks Thalos will d/l this and check it out this weekend. I can't wait to take a run through and get some playing in on it

As far as pick ups go I think it depends on how you want the map to be, are you going a faithful remake with the pick ups or considering what will make the best game play? Also, I have seen this on other threads were people will have recommendations then when implemented others do not like. I think you need to have the say on that. It is really your call. Still there might be good ideas out there and I like the way your are willing to accept feedback and suggestions.

Comment

@Gussie[MK] Obviously this map is a port from ut2004, and the ut3 engine is completely different, I am willing to make changes to the map as long as it has the spirit of the original, this is why feedback is required if the majority believe the layout is fine no modifications will be made if some would like a extra 3 health pick ups I will try it.

I am also aware I cannot satisfy everyone, and soon I will have to draw the line and publish the map fully, so I will give beta 4 a week or two testing and if no one else supports ShadeMistress suggestions they will not be implemented.

Feed back and comments are welcome

Comment

@1XTreme Thanks for the info & links I now have the stinger sounds working (strange how they only work if duplicated? (solved if the tempo is set to low they wont work 100-160 gets the stingers working))
                          Your most welcome Thalos! Glad to be a bit of help, another friend of mine here on these forums and i were just discussing this thread last night on X-Fire chat and we both agreed that not only are you talented but you have "the right stuff" when it comes to dealing with feedback and suggestions.

It's true you'll never make everyone happy, however allowing others to test, make suggestions and keeping an open mind are cornerstones to successful development.

As far as changing the pickups i sort of like the idea of keeping things true to the original, but with no lighting gun then some adjustments must be made with that in mind, as you say in the spirit of the original seems like the right way to me as well, i'd be interested in what others might have to say and take more of a back seat on this subject rather than be too opinionated.

On the subject of the music track, (unfortunately the new engine doesn't accept OGG) I think that you down-sampled / compressed it to heavily because it sounds like it's almost underwater and very compressed, sort of a muddy degraded sound, again i've had experience in this area and might be able to offer help, if you'd like i'll get you the maximum compression possible without sound degradation and then upload the file for you and also remember that the cooking process will use Epic's proprietary compression further reducing size beyond what we've accomplished. If you want to take a stab at it yourself and you'd like me to give you some sample frequencies & formats i'm familiar with i'd be happy to, otherwise i can upload a tuned track for you if you want.

As far as the other changes and implementations on Beta4 thus far i see all other modifications as improvements. Though I'll be testing / playing it more with friends/fam on our dedicated Lan.

Comment

@1XTreme I have to apologise about the audio track I got over zealous in the conversion process and the compression level, I have now obtained a lossless music track and done a straight import, the compression level is now 30 instead of level 10.

It will be released in the next beta or final version

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
                              @FewPosts, i can see where you might think that way, so i'm not ******* you but rather supporting the publisher with the following.
                              Hey, you won me over with that and won the "debate" (not that there was one) with that

That's how everyone should post...GG

Comment

@1XTreme I have to apologise about the audio track I got over zealous in the conversion process and the compression level, I have now obtained a lossless music track and done a straight import, the compression level is now 30 instead of level 10.

It will be released in the next beta or final version

Haha, no worries Thalos!!! been there done that. (glad to hear the next version will correct that minor issue)

Hey BTW, i think the superhealth works quite well on the top middle. Probably better than a redundant weapon pickup as well.

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
                                Hey, you won me over with that and won the "debate" (not that there was one) with that

That's how everyone should post...GG
                                Glad to hear it FewPosts! - double thumbs up right back at ya..... GG

Comment

Working...
                                X