X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-SpiritedAway (Beta3 update!, Pics and Download) feedback welcomed

Name: DM-SpiritedAway

Version: BETA3

Compatibility: PC - works on latest patch.

Description: Fight it out in the bathhouse from the animated film, 'Spirited Away'. Inspired by Miyazaki's brilliant work, its my first UT3 map.

Comments: Please play test as much as possible, report bugs, suggest things you like/don't like and why, and have fun playing it.

Screenshots:

"It's a bathhouse"

Bathing area

Kitchens

Sky view/workers quarters

Gardens

The Bridge

Credits: Me for the map, Dinkelstefan for explosive barrels, Epic for the content.

Homepage: http://jonathanwalmsley.webng.com/index.html

Download Beta3: >>Uploaded onto mediafire, link below:<<

PC DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?egbvcp48d11vieh

Authors notes: On starting out this map it was my first go with the more difficult UT3 editor and I just decided I wanted to make the bathhouse because I love the film so much (see it if you havn't its beautiful). So i didn't think about gameplay on the upstart but as i went along and improvised how i thought the rooms would be, i found i liked the gameplay and things flowed. Thats my opinion however now i need yours!

dude, PROPS for the Map and the detail is nice. Did you add the market place by chance you know where her parents are eating at and turn into the swine?

Comment

Hey, glad you like, yeah i thought about adding that but the map would have been to big and i wanted to keep the action centered around the bathhouse. Theres a small platform on the other side of the bridge with jumpboots, a slow volume and a raptor to fly about the outsides in, picking off unprotected players.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of vehicles in DM maps but the map looks great! I have to say though, I was gonna make a map based on the spirited away bathhouse too but I guess you beat me to it :P!

I'd probably go with another skydome material though, that orange one is used in like all asian themed maps. I think a normal daytime setting / blue fog+stars would look awesome. If you do change it, there are some really neat skydome textures to download here http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ydome+textures and here http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ydome+textures

I'll try it out tomorrow and come back with some feedback then.

PS: you can change the name of the thread yourself, just click "Go Advanced" and you can change it there.

Comment

Nice work mate I try this today see how it all turns out.

opps forgot it's not the 10th on your side of earth yet I check back later.

Comment

The link doesn't work for me. Please upload it somewhere else as well as file front if you must use it.

(Duh, read the post tipper. Not loaded until 10th)

Comment

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
              I guess you beat me to it :P

You know you could always do one of neo Tokyo in the akira universe too? No one has tapped that yet that I am aware of.

Back to topic, yea its nice, might have been able to add the the marketplace but then you might have had to desiginate it as a team DM map instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade-Phoenix View Post
                You know you could always do one of neo Tokyo in the akira universe too? No one has tapped that yet that I am aware of.
                Yes, but then I would have to make a whole lot of custom meshes and that is far too time consuming for me . But don't worry I have a **** load of projects to do before I'm out of ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
                  I'm not a big fan of vehicles in DM maps but the map looks great! I have to say though, I was gonna make a map based on the spirited away bathhouse too but I guess you beat me to it :P!

I'd probably go with another skydome material though, that orange one is used in like all asian themed maps. I think a normal daytime setting / blue fog+stars would look awesome. If you do change it, there are some really neat skydome textures to download here http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ydome+textures and here http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ydome+textures

I'll try it out tomorrow and come back with some feedback then.

PS: you can change the name of the thread yourself, just click "Go Advanced" and you can change it there.
                  Yo Thrallala, thanks for the input even though its not out yet . Shame that skydome was growing on me, but you've got a point if people are bored of it i can replace it with another dawn/dusk one from the link you gave me - thanks. (I dont play enough ut3 to realise its overused)

As for vehicles, i dont like them in DM that much either, but i thought it would be cool to fly around the outside of the building and get a view of everything. You should find taking the raptor is a trade off - you can kill people that are passing outside the building and shoot through the windows, but the guys on foot have access to an avril and a fair amount of cover and most players will be inside the bathhouse at any time.

(oh btw theres also a scavenger which i put in for fun and almost removed but my friend jake liked it in 'alpha' testing haha. It shouldnt pose much of a threat but lemme know what you think once you've got stuck in.)

Comment

This is a bit special There is a lot to look at and so far its played pretty well for what is quite a complicated map.
                    It looks really good, nice contrasts, colourfull, moving parts, a great variety of gameplay possibilities. I haven't found everything yet and i'm going to play it some more.

Comment

Jonny whats was the entire actual build time on this? The detailing and texturing and such must have taken at least 4 maybe 5 months of dedicated work.

Comment

hey jonny, you made nice use of my explosives nice map too

Comment

Cheers Tipper, in fact iv had my post processing on muted the whole time because of Epics maps, and just tried the map on 'intense' - it does look very colourful! Thx 4 the comments and feedback once you play it some more.

@Jade-Phoenix - i started it in first year of uni and now im in 3rd, but i did most of the groundwork in first and rarely worked on it since then for adding details and stuff like lifts which confused me. So yeah adding up i guess afew months! Always lose track tho..

Dinkelstefan yeah the barrels make good traps or to cover your tracks, i may change afew round after more testing. My fav is the red one in the kitchens which can wipe out someone drooling over the keg if shot. Cheers

Comment

No way. It's been 17 months since I sent you a PM asking what happened to this Good things come to those who wait I guess. Congrats on finishing this (or getting it to beta or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                              No way. It's been 17 months since I sent you a PM asking what happened to this Good things come to those who wait I guess. Congrats on finishing this (or getting it to beta or whatever)
                              Haha yeah i know! i saw that pm the other day, well here it is and ill get it poshised with ppl here's help. It was rly on the backburner. Man, time flies tho, especially as u get older!

Comment

Working...
                              X