No announcement yet.

DM-Aly (NOW FINAL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure dude, anyway beta 1 won't be available before some weeks so all feedback is appreciated when you have the time

I realize that since it's my third map, there are plenty of thing I do rather quickly, I'm surprised myself !

BSP is ±50% gone & I'm replacing the walls with meshes. I'll try to post a pic later.

Comment

Steve check it last night after a day of modding other games....I found a wall you can't see near the mini gun.

Is that something thats apart of your work on the meshes?

Comment

Well, if it's the invisible wall that goes all the way where the stinger is, there is indeed a blocking volume because I already planned to mesh that corridor. I don't see anything else or else, you can post a pic just to be sure but the BSP will eventually be almost all removed.

Meshing is going good, I spent all weekend working on it

Comment

I've been working on the lowest level very much. I decide to go with a simple exterior, more organic theme instead of techy meshes so it implies that :

- All stairs are in wood & will supported with steel-like bars.
          - All walls will be in bricks / ciment & will look like damaged, burned, etc.
          - The 3 lifts are also in woods.
          - The building where the helmet is located & many other spots will be cover with vines, foliage, plants.
          - I manage to finish a lot of the lowest level & start to replace the surrounding BSP near the stinger with rocks (therefore, you don't really see it in the first pic).

Enjoy the small progress

[screenshot]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/346/screenshot00001.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6428/screenshot00000e.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Nice visuals you got here can't wait till beta1 is out.

Comment

THX dude

B1 should be ready in a couple of weeks. But I'll post some progress once in a while when this thread reach page 2-3 lol

It's not obvious to work with that simple lighting, everything is lit at the same intensity so I don't really see the details "pop up" because I'm using s single skylight for several reasons to lit all the map which make it look very bland.

But since you already like it at this very early stage, it's a good thing

Comment

yeah looks clean and good , cant wait to see 9878 lightpoints on that

Comment

I was saying the textures were nice lol...... waiting for lighting affects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
                    yeah looks clean and good , cant wait to see 9878 lightpoints on that
                    LOL

There won't be 9999 pointlights, only a few here & there to make things stand out. BTW, it will be the first time I'll use some directional lights, any clues on what is the maximum amount limits of them without affecting FPS badly ??? I see maps are using like 2-4 of them but I don't know if it.s to much

Originally posted by Zerglings View Post
                    I was saying the textures were nice lol...... waiting for lighting affects.
                    Ha, ok lol, it''s all default material but they look very nice indeed by default & will look much nicer when lit properly

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      any clues on what is the maximum amount limits of them without affecting FPS badly ??? I see maps are using like 2-4 of them but I don't know if it.s to much
                      I used 6 in DM-Tomac, I don't think it really hurt performance that much though. I used this based on DM-Sanctuary.

Depending on the map though, you may only need 3. One for the main "sun" light a second one going in the opposite direction, at a much lower brightness to soften up the shadows and possibly a third going straight down to mimic any reflection of your sky (I used a bluish one for mine).

Also keep in mind that the skylight has the ability to light your map from the top and bottom. I didn't know this when building Tomac so I put additional point lights below all the platforms to light the underside (silly me!).

Comment

THX for the info Odedge

Indeed, I know that skylight can lit on horizontal & vertical side. I already use it in Nano beta 1 for BSP only.

It's good to know I can use at least 3 without impacting FPS.

I'm very curious to see what result I will end up with ? Hope it won't be to bad

Comment

I think you guys mean Directional lights.
                          I used 3 i think in Paradise and one skylight, i dont think it killed performance much.

I believe too many pointlights will kill it more, it certainly kills the build time...LOL

Comment

Yep, I was referring to directional lights when saying I can use at least 3.

As you, I think that using to many points light will kill FPS more. It's fun at this stage, I take me 15 secs to rebuild all

BTW, I'm having issues when I try to add water plane around the terrain to reach the end of the sky dome. I got a HOM effect I open several maps but I don't see what I'm doing wrong ?

Comment

I also had some effects like that, I ended up copying and making my own material.
                              Feel free to look and use mine if it helps, or get an idea.

I mean the non moving pool i had in Paradise.

Comment

It's quite odd because I open other maps, use the same meshe, apply the same material & compare the other static mesh properties with mine & they're all identical but the **** HOM is still there ??? I even copy the mesh in my map & same thing ???

Mystery **** it !!!

Anyway, I copy the skydome, reverse it and apply the black unlit material so it's fine now. THX for the help dude

BTW, a bit of details (it's far from finish but I thought you might like it), enjoy

[screenshot]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9774/screenshot00002f.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Working...
                                X