Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
    I haven't read any comments, so...

Over all, I really like the layout. It's a "DM" level with a nice variety of elements to make for some fun fights. I presume that the map won't get "smaller" when you start adding more stuff to it.
    Yep, I'll add some meshes but the play area will remain the same.

1. Right below the vest armor (between the vest and shock rifle), you should add a jump pad to help with the flow.
    Really... mmm... I thought about that but I wasn't sure. I'll try it out & see

2. I would be a bit more consistent with your ammo placement. Some pickups have 1 matching ammo near it (which is good), while some don't. Unless you did this for balancing reasons?
    Well, I put 1 ammo of each weapon near the weapon & another at the opposite (it may be on the lower or highest level depending on where the weapon base is located), forcing the player to move. I must do Alzheimer lol I'll recheck that

3. On one side of your map (starting with the lift that goes to the sniper gun all the way to player start 4, that's a long line of site for the sniper, Might be a problem?
    Since you can collect 65 health + the DE on that area, I thought that this long line of sight would be ok. I want the player to feel "at risk" from the sniper by going there. But I'll try something I just think of

4. I think Jump Pad 1 should be replaced with a lift that will stop on the next level, but allow you to lift jump to the top level.
    I'll try that, good idea

5. More of a beta suggestion, but make sure the bots don't try to jump from one side of the pool (near the Udamage) to the other side in one double jump!
    I didn't notice that ? Was it a problem ?

The map is going to be failry open, especially in the middle. I think a basic mesh work with nice lighting is the way to go. You don't want to "clutter" the player's sight with stuff in this layout. Also, optimizing collision would be easier too.
    Indeed, I don't intent to put to much mesh in the level

THX for checking out the map my friend

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
      Really... mmm... I thought about that but I wasn't sure. I'll try it out & see
      The only thing you need to be concerned about is after a player getting the Udamage, can they easily jump up and get the shock rifle and vest armor? Maybe the vest armor is too close to the Udamage as someone could grab it, then jump down to get the Udamage.

Well, I put 1 ammo of each weapon near the weapon & another at the opposite (it may be on the lower or highest level depending on where the weapon base is located), forcing the player to move. I must do Alzheimer lol I'll recheck that
      Alzheimer check in progress, alert the media!

Since you can collect 65 health + the DE on that area, I thought that this long line of sight would be ok. I want the player to feel "at risk" from the sniper by going there. But I'll try something I just think of
      I can see your point, but that's assuming the player can actually pick up those goodies. Maybe just make it a bit harder for the sniper to hit the player?

I didn't notice that ? Was it a problem ?
      I wouldn't say a problem, just something to keep an eye out for.

THX for checking out the map my friend
      No problem. I almost wish it had more of the missing stuff, being a visual person, that would help give a better sense of the "openess" of the map.

Comment

The only thing you need to be concerned about is after a player getting the Udamage, can they easily jump up and get the shock rifle and vest armor? Maybe the vest armor is too close to the Udamage as someone could grab it, then jump down to get the Udamage.
        Well, I put the vest there since it's placed between the flak & shock, it's a dangerous spot & I it's not that much armor & is a cool reward if you manage to grab it. I like to jump from the second level in front and land on the vest platform, it's a cool move. Even with the vest, the players blow into pieces only from 1 flak shot & since the vest & the udamage don't spawn at the same time, I've been able to collect only both of them around 1 match on 5. There will be columns later there so. Even for me it's not obvious to figure out with that open layout even if I have some meshing ideas in mind.

I can see your point, but that's assuming the player can actually pick up those goodies. Maybe just make it a bit harder for the sniper to hit the player?
        Agreed, changes as been made & for the better after playing some matches. Brief ;

- I add a pillar (pink) so you can have some cover.
        - I move the stairs a bit. It's more open but the weapon is now in the middle of the long corridor instead of the old "tight" spot (yellow arrow).
        - I switch the DE & the Stinger, so the player coming from playerstart-4 get the hitscan weapon much faster to kill the sniper.
        - The old "tight" spot is now merge with the narrow corridor where you have the medium health so the player as more options to move (green arrows).
        - Since the DE is now closer to the sniper, is damage are more efficient.

[screenshot]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4690/screenshot00001f.jpg[/screenshot]

I add a jumpad between the vest & the shock & flow is better

Comment

damned i wanted to read the topic befroe playing it but it seem that several things have change ; should i wait the next update or make it a sence to test the old one?
          waiting instructions will try it though

edit:nice job steve ; the map rocks like hell
          have post a feedback on UOF forum

Comment

Hey Blitz

I'm working on things you mention on UOF & A3 should be release today if I finish the area I'm not comfortable with.

A3 is mostly about BSP & pickups changes.

I'm happy you like it dude

Comment

Alpha 3 is now available.

All the changes from alpha 2 are related to layout & pickups enhancements.

Enjoy & as always, feedback is welcomed

Comment

feedback is welcomed
                *Odedge gives it his "thumbs up" stamp of approval*

Comment

*Odedge gives it his "thumbs up" stamp of approval*
                  LOL

Come on, it's not perfect, what can I enhance my dear Odedge

Comment

LOL

Come on, it's not perfect, what can I enhance my dear Odedge
                    Well, you can add some static meshs, maybe some sounds, lights are useful (you know, different colors and brightness). A Kismet sequence is always fun.

As for the basic layout, I thinks is very good. It's hard to make any more suggestions until the major geometry is added to see if it effects any "line of sights", but I am not too worried.

Start building away!

Comment

Well, you can add some static meshs, maybe some sounds, lights are useful (you know, different colors and brightness). A Kismet sequence is always fun.
                      Funny guy... LOL **** I like ya

As for the basic layout, I thinks is very good. It's hard to make any more suggestions until the major geometry is added to see if it effects any "line of sights", but I am not too worried.

Start building away!
                      Roger that captain !

So you like the changes, great I have the same feeling & I'm beginning meshing now

Comment

WOW....if nano is slow ...u are in 4 wheel drive mode
                        nothing to add on gameplay; perfect for me...even the botpathing was fine all game long

all the changes since alpha 2 are improving the map(the jumpad facing the waterhole is pure kill !)

one of my favorite map so far...will install on server as soon as possible;cant wait to play this one online
                        thx for the lesson on gameplay bro

Comment

I download it again stevelois and try it out.

Comment

Hi Steve, i tried to reply to your PM but it says you have PMs disabled. Im cool either way with whatever you want to do..

Comment

Originally posted by Crayfish View Post
                              Hi Steve, i tried to reply to your PM but it says you have PMs disabled. Im cool either way with whatever you want to do..
                              Hi dude

****, one of my email options wasn't set right but I fix it.

So you receive my PM, THX for posting since you couldn't join me

THX for letting me do what your aware of.

But anyway, I wasn't comfortable so I change my idea just in case & I'm going for a "natural organic" theme like DM-Shrift.

THX again for your open mind

Comment

I'll need to check this one when I have the time. Maybe next weekend depending whether I get to go to holidays.

Comment

Working...
                                X