DM-Aly (NOW FINAL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Of course a Kismet/Matinee would be fun, but I know how much time it can take to develop the concept.
    Maybe just an underground hidden room with strange symbols on the walls, greenish or blueish atmosphere, some glow.. (maybe not so original)
    The best thing I can think of would be to simply add a door upon the ground, like a spaceship sas door (probably available in the UT stock asset) in this hidden room. Meaning that an alien spaceship is hidden underground.

I know gameplay is the most important thing in those kind of multiplayer games, and you seems to master this greatly. You're right forget about leaves and birds, concentrate on textures and lightings.

I'd be happy to try RC1 ! By the way, what does RC1 means ?

Comment

Originally posted by molosev View Post
      Release Canidate. It basically means the maps is 99.9% done and usually only major (or maybe easy) things get fixed.

Edit: For some reason I typed Client, don't ask me why. Thanks to Thrallala for correcting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
        Release Client. It basically means the maps is 99.9% done and usually only major (or maybe easy) things get fixed.
        Actually, Release Candidate

Comment

Originally posted by molosev View Post
          Hi there,

Of course a Kismet/Matinee would be fun, but I know how much time it can take to develop the concept.
          Maybe just an underground hidden room with strange symbols on the walls, greenish or blueish atmosphere, some glow.. (maybe not so original)
          The best thing I can think of would be to simply add a door upon the ground, like a spaceship sas door (probably available in the UT stock asset) in this hidden room. Meaning that an alien spaceship is hidden underground.

I know gameplay is the most important thing in those kind of multiplayer games, and you seems to master this greatly. You're right forget about leaves and birds, concentrate on textures and lightings.

You got a nice idea there about the underground ship Will consider it for the final, THX

For the RC meaning, it mean "Release Candidate" which is a step before the final. In the computing industry, the dev steps are as fallow : Alpha / Beta / Release Candidate / Final. You also have the "Gold" & "OEM" appellation but it's for certain product.

THX for the gameplay compliment, it's always in my top priority

Hope you will like it

BTW, you got a nice blog mate

RC1 is finally available, Enjoy !

Comment

Well the time has come for the new version of Aly! yippee!

From the pics it looks like your lighting is like you wanted. What did you set your lightmap resolution to?

Anyway, I'll test and give feedback soon as possible.

Comment

Oh...One more thing, Where did you get the skydome used? I like how it's a clear blue partly cloudy sky, and would be perfect for Waverider. I don't like how all of the stock domes are all clouds and look wierd in the center.

Comment

Originally posted by rathalos150 View Post
                Well the time has come for the new version of Aly! yippee!

From the pics it looks like your lighting is like you wanted. What did you set your lightmap resolution to?

Anyway, I'll test and give feedback soon as possible.
                Yep & since you like B1, RC1 is prettier

For LM, it depend, you have to test from 16 to 256 depending of the mesh. Still, you have to be careful with LM usage or else your file size will be huge & building process much longer. Also it's not all assets that support LM & even those who support LM don't necessarily support that well. You have things to check first.

Brief, a mesh that as good LM support, will provide good shadows at 32 even if it support more than 32 & with a LM of 32 it doesn't consume more than vertex so it's a very good setting. For mesh you want to have some very crisp, detailed shadows you can go up to 64, 128 or even 256 but be careful. Use LM every time is possible BUT set them with an appropriate value.

The advice I can give you is raise the value from 32 to the max value & see if it worth it or else, leave it to 32 so it won't consume more resource than vertex & will look better

Comment

Oh...One more thing, Where did you get the skydome used? I like how it's a clear blue partly cloudy sky, and would be perfect for Waverider. I don't like how all of the stock domes are all clouds and look wierd in the center.
                  It's a stock material I use but I change it a lot to fit my goal. DM-Shrift was also very inspiring. You can copy the material if you want, it's all stock assets

Comment

After Testing:

Pros
                    -The lighting is MUCH BETTER.
                    -The map is overall prettier

There wasn't much in the way of cons. The only problem I had was a two minute load time and sketchy framerates ( I didn't get that in the Beta Version) but this could be due to the fact that my computer isn't too great. I spent a good 5g on my computer..but that was six years ago :P

Great job, can't wait for final release.

Comment

After Testing:

Pros
                      -The lighting is MUCH BETTER.
                      -The map is overall prettier

There wasn't much in the way of cons. The only problem I had was a two minute load time and sketchy framerates ( I didn't get that in the Beta Version) but this could be due to the fact that my computer isn't too great. I spent a good 5g on my computer..but that was six years ago :P

Great job, can't wait for final release.
                      Happy you like it

Would be cool if you use the "stat fps" command while playing so you'll see the actual FPS. I would be curious how FPS you have while playing. Me, I'm at ±75 FPS with my 1.5 year old PC

Comment

The map has been improved over the previous version, especially the lighting. Overall, I think it's ready to go "gold" with just a few thoughts...

1. I think the lighting looks very good and has nice contrast and shadows all over the map. The one thing is it really doesn't have any real contrast in the light colors though. While it's traditional to have this in maps, not having may not be a bad ting from time to time.

2. I really don't like taking damage to the player when you go outside the map. Since there is no visual danger (fire, lava, slime), I think you punish the player too much. In addition, some of the weapons really throw the player around when you get hit by them and dieing because you fell out of the map, shouldn't happen in this map. I really suggest you place the blocking volumes back.

Other than these points (and #1 is more of an observation, rather than a constructive criticism), it has turned out to be a very nice map. Great work as always.

Edit: I forgot one more minor point. The hole that leads to my "safe room", which is missing my couch btw, the material on the hole looks a bit dark. When you fires your weapon, you see the material better, but it should be a bit more visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                          The map has been improved over the previous version, especially the lighting. Overall, I think it's ready to go "gold" with just a few thoughts...

1. I think the lighting looks very good and has nice contrast and shadows all over the map. The one thing is it really doesn't have any real contrast in the light colors though. While it's traditional to have this in maps, not having may not be a bad ting from time to time.

2. I really don't like taking damage to the player when you go outside the map. Since there is no visual danger (fire, lava, slime), I think you punish the player too much. In addition, some of the weapons really throw the player around when you get hit by them and dieing because you fell out of the map, shouldn't happen in this map. I really suggest you place the blocking volumes back.

Other than these points (and #1 is more of an observation, rather than a constructive criticism), it has turned out to be a very nice map. Great work as always.
                          Well, when the outside are was closed, people complain about it. Now, I open those spots & you still complain lol

The kill effect is cause by the sun. It's rather cool to throw the player outside (well, I love it tbh), it's just dull if your the victime lol I don't want the player to complain they can't go outside like in B1 but in the other and I must prevent them to do so. In all my matches, I've been thrown outside maybe 5 times (& I'm very generous about that number) which is nothing when you have played like 300 matchs I already thought of not adding physic volume but after my playtest I finally like it. It add something to the gameplay so I won't change that.

But I'm happy you like the rest of the level

Comment

Downloading RC1 now.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                              Happy you like it

Would be cool if you use the "stat fps" command while playing so you'll see the actual FPS. I would be curious how FPS you have while playing. Me, I'm at ±75 FPS with my 1.5 year old PC
                              I was using Fraps and got up to 25 fps. It really shows how wretched my computer is...But it will always be my baby lol

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                                Well, when the outside are was closed, people complain about it. Now, I open those spots & you still complain lol
                                I only complained that they were too open in some spots. Butt to each it's own. Not really a big deal, you just have to watch your "step".

Comment

Working...
                                X