• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Level01c [Beta-1][Pics][Updated 09/11/09]

Name: Dm-Not Ma's Love
    Version: 0.8
    Compatibility: Titan Pack, 2.1
    Description: Simple, Small, Fast pace
    Comments: My first UT map, has a very old school feel to it. Done in 2 days, so do not expect that much. Hopefully it will work for everyone. All comments are welcomed.
    UPDATE Reworked the lights some, may make one more pass on lighting before final. Added some deco. Reworked all the lights that cast volumes, those lights only happen when over a pickup item now. I think this is a better visual vocabulary than just having them happen everywhere. Finally changed the name.
    Updated Screenshot:

Credits: Just me
    Download: http://www.filefront.com/14510553/Dm-NotMasLove.rar/

Looks excellent and has a really 'clean' feel to it. Downloading now!

Comment

@Stuey

This is exellent for you?

@Geosmores

pretty good work for first map . Try Create more contrast using lights (increasing brightness of some lights) and by adding post process effects (View -> Word Properties -> World Info -> DefaultPostProcessSettings. This will work for entire map. I You can also add PostProcess Volume. I reccommend that settings: Scene_Highligts: less than 1.00, Scene_Midtones: more than 1.00 Scene_Shadows: You can leave it unchanged. Desturation: 0-0.3 never more than 0.5 .) If you have any questions about editor send me PM

Comment

I downloaded this the other day but haven't had a chance to try it out. So, from the screenshots.

It does have a clean (or 'under-detailed', depending where you are on the SlidingScaleOfHOLPvsCBPstyle or whatever) look to it. And it does look well constructed geometrically.

The lighting is very flat and uniform though. That could be useful while building, but it probably is the thing that could use the most improvement at the point you're at now. What you've got almost looks faded out like a photograph with an off white-point, and that's especially noticible in the ceiling in shot 3.

Adding some spatial variance in lighting could help. Make one place brighter -- the UDamage is a good bet, there. You've got it right under a skylight, a stronger beam of light coming down on it from outside could do a lot; the sky outside has an unnatural dimness about it at the moment.

And then try to find some places you could make darker, or perhaps use dimmer but more saturated lights.

The postpro is a good idea too, but I've got no idea what good setting for those are, whereas I've been fiddling with lighting in various ways for ages .

Comment

Thanks for the comments
          Now that you point it out, it does look flat (lighting). I try your suggestions.

Comment

Have fun. You have a bunch of finished geometry, and you the lighting / postpro can change how it feels a lot with small changes

Comment

This looks very promising. Perhaps it would look better with fancy lighting, but the gloomy atmosphere in the pics isn't bad at all.

Comment

Given that it's an "alpha" version, the only that concerns me is the scaling of it. It feels fairly cramped in most places, which limits dodging and the ability to move around.

So, if you can make it bigger (about 25-33%), I think that would help. The other parts of the map look like they are on the right track, but given it's an alpha, I don't worry about such things.

Comment

This is a UT99 map if I ever saw one. I'd say keep to this kind of look/design.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                    Given that it's an "alpha" version, the only that concerns me is the scaling of it. It feels fairly cramped in most places, which limits dodging and the ability to move around.

So, if you can make it bigger (about 25-33%), I think that would help. The other parts of the map look like they are on the right track, but given it's an alpha, I don't worry about such things.
                    Thanks for the comment, never worry about making comments about my maps, I am here to learn and be a better mapper.
                    I think you may be correct, I started to rework this one to make it a bit bigger (a little more open) but I decided to abandon that for now (I ended up changing so much it was becoming a different map). This map was for me was much more a learning exercise of the editor. I may finish my rework that I started on this one as another map down the line. I do have a map that I just started forming that has benefited from your comment.

I have taken some of the other comments and updated this map.

Thanks Geosmores

Comment

Working...
                    X