• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOIDER music_mod [alpha] [updated info/screens]

Name: Voider
    Version: pre_alpha build 08.28.09
    Compatibility: Patch 2.1
    Description: Voider is a performance based music mod for UT3.
    Download: Fileplanet Filefront

More Info:
    Voider is an interactive music experience. It is designed to be played with drumkit peripherals from other popular console music games. NOTE :even if you don't own a USB kit, you can still totally rock keyboard style. The game features real-time beat per minute detection and sample modulation, with a graphic metronome encompassed by audio visualizations. There are no scores, no ways to fail, the game is intended to create an experience that plays along with you rather than the other way around. Installation instructions are included with the readme. The mod is started using the shortcut method, so you can extract it into any directory, you'll have to edit target paths in there, as well as re-enter your cd key on initial startup along with your desired settings (display, sound, etc).

Would be greatly appreciated. This is the first mod I've ever created. There are a few known issues (also documented in the included readme).
    -The biggest one is that the audio is sometimes "clicky". That was partially my fault, did a poor slicing job from my DAW. Though most of the clicks are with the cut system running in game, the transitions (cutting a former and starting the next) are scripted to happen at the exact same time. This method works perfectly in my audio tools, but not so much in-game causing fractional gaps and overlaps -producing the click sound. This system will be changed in future versions.
    -The included level was meant to be a proof-of-concept that took much longer to get working properly than I originally intended, and in the interest of brevity (for this recent MSUC phase), the concept level turned into the 1st unofficial level. I'm not content with the music, I wrote and recorded it in a few hours, but it took forever (actually a little over a week) to get working properly in-game. I got a rough mix out of it, but it is entirely unmastered. So the music sucks. That is a known issue. The visuals were done in about two days. I would love to move away from the typical audio visualization here, and do more with what UT3 is capable of -using animated cameras, post-process, lighting, maybe even physics. I didn't touch any of it- its like im sticking a Ferrari engine on a moped... blasphemy.
    -The idea behind the mod was to create an experience that is guided by the player. In GH and RB you're playing along a rigidly established tune, even penalized for improvisations. I wanted to make something where you can play whatever the hell you want to, where music plays with you instead of you playing along with it. I'm also completely ambivalent about those drumkit controllers. They're expensive. Their purpose is unmistakable in design, however they are useless outside of those games, even the thud sound they make outside of the game(s) is excruciating.
    -I'm happy with the way the BPM system turned out (especially having zero programming knowledge), though I am definitely considering moving away from the system. Yeah its cool to be able to set your own tempo, though its still rigid, and very easy to be off-beat if you're not a drummer (which I'm not). I also don't want to slave playback exclusively to that system. I'd rather make it based on user input the entire time, so that dynamic changes in tempo and time signature can occur- making it impossible to be off-beat, since you're always the beat.
    -A new playlist system is also in the works. I'm not planning on endlessly looping playback for the rest of the tracks. I want completed songs, finished at the user's discretion (based on idle input), complete with the standard music composition stuff (intros/outros, bridges, build-ups, etc).
    -I'm a big fan of concept albums. So i'm planning to have this whole thing play out like an interactive album from a single band. Where each level is a different music track, each with its own visuals, where everytime you play it, it can sound wildly different (from ambient to heavy, for example) depending on how you play, but still retain the same vibe, similar to a remixed version of the same song.
    -Lastly, I'm not even sure if this **** thing works on any computers aside from my own. No one wanted to test it here. I would also love to know if anyone is having trouble setting up a drumkit (if they own one) with the game. So far I've tested the PS2/PS3 RB 1.0 kit and the PS3 GHWT one with success. It would also be cool to know if there are any that are recognized by UT3 out-of-box (I'm doubting it though). Also if the version of Xpadder included here (with the author's permission), works on everyone's OS with a kit.
    sidenote: I am aware this would make more sense as a PS3 mod given the hardware intention. Though until there is a legit (legal) way to convert audio to Sony's proprietary format, there's unfortunately nothing I can do about it.

OK gonna give it a shot!

Comment

... still no luck attracting a tester. I don't even think Zuul is a real doctor either. lemme fix up the 1st post with some proper info.

Comment

Sorry man, but if you want people to test your stuff, you need to tell us what we're downloading, at the very least, and preferably include screenshots (many people won't bother reading unless they see a screenshot).

What is this mod about? A "a performance based music mod" is vague. If nothing else, just post a link to the readme.

Comment

ok i get what your mod is about.

basically this is a music visualization mod. when you play certain samples, it triggers a visualization on the screen.

btw ThunderBeef, i started the mod and it play a pad in the background. thats it. i had to press keys on the keyboard to trigger the drum samples to display the visualization.

you should try to develop it so that

1. take audio from audio in(external synths) and display visualizations.
          2. it can take in audio from ASIO/WDM and display visualizations.

to help others check your mod, put up a you tube video.

Comment

Ah suneel, that's not at all how it works.

Lemme try to clarify since it is kinda out there. Its not a visualization. The visuals are there so you're not looking at a blank screen (although admittedly it is blank if you're not playing anything). It is a game, at least in the interactive sense, a music game where you are a drummer. You play however you want to. You can use the keyboard (keys: F through L by default) though it is intended for drumkits.

There would be little point in supporting audio-in devices since there are actual visualization tools out there that do just that, and in a better way than I could ever pull off.

It is a game. Tap H at a constant tempo, then it may become clearer.

Comment

Visualizations are cool, the music is not bad, concept is cool. I just wish I knew how to play drums :P

I was basically just going with a standard 4/4 beat, hitting F on every beat and G on every other beat. I also tried to pull the Phil Collins "In the Air Tonight" bada$$ drum solo with K and L.

Maybe you could add some "suggested" notes to play? For those of us who don't know what we're doing

Comment

Hey Rhykker thanks for checking it out. I was thinking the concept was what people were going to have the most issues with, seeing as how its pretty atypical- you're not shooting people or anything. I think it makes more sense for all the players who have played RB and GH but would rather just jam to their own beat.

For 1st timers, I always recommend sticking with the hihat initially, simultaneous inputs work as well for more advanced users. On a constant beat, the music playback should kick in on the 9th count, but sometimes its hard (the room for error is currently 0.05 secs), so I usually wait until the tempo is locked in (as evident by the metronome graphic appearing) then drop a kick (F) with the 1st count hihat (H) next time it comes around.

Like you mentioned, all standard 4/4 timing patterns work pretty well. Stuff like:
                1.Hihat+Kick, 2.Hihat, 3.Hihat+Snare, 4.Hihat
                1.Hihat+Kick, 2.Hihat+Kick, 3.Hihat, 4.Cymbal+Snare

The toms are there for fills (notes in between counts), try it with hihats or kicks too.
                1.Hihat+Kick, 1.5.Kick, 2.Hihat, 2.5.Kick 3.Hihat+Snare, 3.5.Snare, 4.Hihat

Getting a good sounding track usually involves setting a good base pattern up (use an example from above), then simply adding to or subtracting to the pattern. Add a kick on an empty hihat count, leave out the snare on a pattern, basically alter it but not by much.

Also try switching the hihat to a cymbal, especially when paired with a snare.
                On the 4th bar of a 4/4 you can go nuts with the toms or stick a snare roll in there on the 3rd count, if you resume a variation of your base pattern on the next 1st bar it all sounds legit.

The sampled hihat will become more open if you're playing constantly, the music will also become more aggressive (ex-the guitars will become distorted), so the sensation of change is somewhat created for you. If you want the playback to tone back down, just simply lay off somewhat on the inputs, although dont stop entirely or playback will, though, that is also cool if you wanted to bash out a solo not worrying about a set tempo, cause it can be reset to a different speed as long as its constant.

I don't how to play drums either. But its a blast banging on a real kit if you know someone with one. That was the concept I wanted to create, with these plastic kits alot of people seem to have lying around.

Comment

Hmm I didn't notice the background music change much once it started up... Even when I stopped hitting the drums, the music kept playing... I'm gonna have to take another look and pay closer attention...

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
                    Hmm I didn't notice the background music change much once it started up... Even when I stopped hitting the drums, the music kept playing... I'm gonna have to take another look and pay closer attention...
                    The system that controls that part is pretty generic at the moment. Its designed to be transparent but I'll let you know how it (currently) works. Its based on the same 4/4 routine. Its a meter that stays constant if you play an input for each count (ex- striking a hihat 4 times per bar). It will build if you hit more than 4 inputs per bar (ex-a simultaneous hihat+kick on the first count), or it will decrease with less than 4 inputs (ex- just hitting a kick on the 1st count with a snare on the 3rd). once it reaches a certain threshold it will trigger a more aggressive section on the next playlist mark, which is based on 16 bars. Or if you're below the threshold it will revert to a more passive playlist on the next mark. So you could just be stopping at the start of the 16 bar section and it will play out, but if you're following along to the music it follows that system so after a bit its pretty clear where the section transitions are.

This system is a currently a work in progress (with the thresholds). It may be removed entirely for the next track if I get it working as intended -- as its a wildly different setup.

Comment

If everything you're planning on doing with this works out, this will be absolutely amazing. I especially love the idea of being able to just change tempo or time signature on the fly and have the music follow what you're doing (if I'm understanding that correctly).

As for right now, I'm curious as to how the music works, is it just pre-recorded tracks that are slightly altered according to how you're playing the drum part? Or did you just record several different bits, and have what you're playing influence what is played back?

Also what kind of music is it, just some basic rhythms whose tempo change as you change it, or is there some more melodic sections? Would it be at all possible to add in a way to have some kind of melody created as you go along, or perhaps (I realize this is a lot to ask, but I'm just saying it would be awesome if you could) have support for the plastic guitars too, so you could connect more than one, and basically apply your concept of a GH jam band to the whole band?

I will definitely be checking up on the progress of this

Comment

Originally posted by TheGazelle View Post
                        If everything you're planning on doing with this works out, this will be absolutely amazing. I especially love the idea of being able to just change tempo or time signature on the fly and have the music follow what you're doing (if I'm understanding that correctly).

As for right now, I'm curious as to how the music works, is it just pre-recorded tracks that are slightly altered according to how you're playing the drum part? Or did you just record several different bits, and have what you're playing influence what is played back?

Also what kind of music is it, just some basic rhythms whose tempo change as you change it, or is there some more melodic sections? Would it be at all possible to add in a way to have some kind of melody created as you go along, or perhaps (I realize this is a lot to ask, but I'm just saying it would be awesome if you could) have support for the plastic guitars too, so you could connect more than one, and basically apply your concept of a GH jam band to the whole band?

I will definitely be checking up on the progress of this
                        Hey TheGazelle, thanks for the comments. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The music was all recorded in sections, those were also recorded at different tempos, then broken into tempo ranges - so that I was only cutting into the decay of sampled instruments. The system worked great in my audio tools but was somewhat problematic in-game as the scripted triggers that control it aren't nearly as precise in real-time. So when you setup a tempo, depending on the range its in, the playback parts can be different. Right now, I'm working to move away from the BPM playback and move more towards an open one thats a mix between tempo (for pattern changes only) and inputs (for the sampled playback), rather than it all working off of the tempo.

The sections themselves are layered. There is a generic passive/aggressive detection system in place (mentioned in the previous post) that will either move up or down on these layers at set times based on your set tempo. When playback first kicks in, the first layer turns on, it is a lead synth with this pre_alpha track, next it will add a bassline, then it will add guitars -both lead and rhythm at some point depending on what tempo range you're in. These instruments also have different versions as well and will go from a clean/delayed set to a heavily distorted one on the final layer.

These sections loop indefinitely. So you can go on forever. The music itself is kinda spacey guitar rock music. I went with an industrial vibe since I was using synths, only because they are timesavers that slice perfectly when creating samples (they are midi mapped), so the drumkit itself is a mix between real drum samples and more electronic drum machine type stuff. I'm not a big fan of this genre of music, so I'm probably gonna stray away from it in future versions. The only "industrial" band I ever got into was Godflesh. -JKB is a god to me so I like Jesu as well, though its not the same.

I had to scrap the song I initially wrote for this. The playback system didn't support it too well, but I've since learned a s*** ton of workarounds and I'm much more able to get the sort of thing I want in. So this released track, which will be a B-side if even included in future builds, is made up of the simplest parts of the song I initially had. It doesn't go anywhere, aurally speaking, I want actual song structure, so all of these systems are getting the rewrite.

The guitar support is much trickier. Only because of the controllers themselves. The drumkit was a no brainer, just by looking at it, its such a different beast. It can be done, but there are a few obstacles in the way. The connection is not a standard USB plug hook in (even though the interface is) on almost all of the earlier console versions. Also the two different versions have completely different additional features. The 5 button thing is also a bummer, so the scale range would be limited as well, but it can still be based on the recorded guitar playback, so it can change along with the sections - so that may seem awfully strange to some during performance. I don't want to say never, but the guitar support probably won't happen anytime soon if at all. if this were to ever become more than a personal project than I would definitely work to include it (bearing in mind this game makes more sense on the consoles), along with alot of other features, for example it would be awesome (and beyond my knowledge) to allow the player to export their performance as an mp3 file to share.

Comment

I'll definitely have to check this out (though I don't have plastic drums..keyboard will do I guess).

You said something about wanting to have some song structure into it, which would be cool to have, maybe with options for how long of a song, and what kinda structure. But one thing that I personally would love to see (though you'd probably need a rather large library of samples/music parts for it to work well and not get boring) would be the ability to just keep playing on and on and have it just keep on going and changing all the time, without any particular set structure.

For the recording, maybe something with the demo recorder? I imagine just out of the box you could record of demo of everything, then extract the audio to an mp3 (whether or not that's possible I don't know), but maybe there'd be a way of recording only the audio from that.

Comment

I've tried it, but I can't get anything to work.

I can get it to load the level, or at least i think it's loaded, I see a black screen with a kinda redish tinge on the top half. At this point I started just tapping a straight beat with one key (using keyboard, don't have drums), and nothing happens. I've tried different keys, I've even tried adding other keys into the rhythm, but nothing. I also can't exit out at all. Pressing Esc does nothing, I actually have to open up the task manager and manually end the process.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGazelle View Post
                              I've tried it, but I can't get anything to work.

I can get it to load the level, or at least i think it's loaded, I see a black screen with a kinda redish tinge on the top half. At this point I started just tapping a straight beat with one key (using keyboard, don't have drums), and nothing happens. I've tried different keys, I've even tried adding other keys into the rhythm, but nothing. I also can't exit out at all. Pressing Esc does nothing, I actually have to open up the task manager and manually end the process.
                              It definitely seems like you were able to load the level. It is bare on initial startup. Graphics are all tied to audio and they should appear with the keys you have mapped to drum inputs. To trigger music you simply need to play at a constant tempo with any input thats not Pad 1 or 2 (the toms). Just hit H at a constant rate, it may be tricky at first, but you'll get your rhythm, as long is its in a BPM range of 80-200, which is pretty wide.

The gameplay UT3 controls have been removed but the specific function ones for the menus - left mouse click, and escape are restored. You can check the included DefaultInput cfg file, at the very bottom there is this under "actual key bindings"

Code:
                              .Bindings=(Name="Escape",Command="GBA_ShowMenu")
                              If it says "Escape" then its setup properly. Delete the UTInput file which is generated from this and let it build again by starting the mod up. If that doesn't work than UT3 is propably loading a cfg its not suppose to, so you may want to try moving the Voider directory to one outside of UT3's if it isn't already.

Comment

Working...
                              X