DM-Asbestos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    needs preview shot, no music and needs more sounds; more dilapidated than UT2004/UT2003 original and like the different look, bots are decent and have tough time xlocing near FC pickup to get powerup; I prefer the newer one by NetLizzard (review will be posted soon in another thread).
    http://akybron.hu/download.php?d=ut3...m-asbestos.zip

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Up! Any news about this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great remake!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This was originally in UT2003, not UT2004.

Looks nice, I don't have the time to playtest this right now, but regarding the images, I think the lighting needs some working, a bit more contrast would be nice.

Is this a "1:1 remake" or did you work out the scaling to fit the UT3 gameplay better?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
    Yep, it just doesnt flow as well as UT2004. I miss the dodge jump
    There´s a simple mutator that adds dodge-jump back into the game, in case you haven´t found it. I love it. Never play without it. Sadly, I don´t know if any online servers use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting--I'm working on remaking Asbestos in UT99 too!

He can adjust gravity if he wants to. Go into WorldInfo and look for GlobalGravityZ. Default UT3 gravity is like -520, UT2K3/UT2K4 gravity is about -420. (So replace the default value "0" with "-420".) Try it--it should play much more like the old version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No problem bawsy, I think I spent more time with it than you did.

I actually removed it from the server due to people leaving when it was voted, and due to comments like "boring map".

A lot of players like the nostalgia aspect of the map, along with the gameplay, but it seems like the newer UT3 players don't care for it

Anyway, it is a good remake that plays as well as can be expected. I think a big reason why it's not being favored is it looks a bit drab? Dunno...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Taffy View Post
    1. You can go on top of the stair rail and wall dodge to it. You can also get to the top corridor from the lower level.
    Yep, it just doesnt flow as well as UT2004. I miss the dodge jump

2. You can wall dodge off one of the pillars and get up.
    You're right, how did I miss that?

3. I can do this real easy, either by a simple jump or dodge. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do exactly.
    I give up. Im so brainwashed by what you had to do in Ut2004, that I am missing the smack-you-in-the-face obvious.

From now on, ignore anything I say

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
    I had a quick shot of this (without bots), and I can confirm "Nice work". Love the look, plays almost as well as the original, and runs smooth. All of Odedge's points are of course valid. I assume you havent forgotten the sounds, just not put them in yet.

There are a couple of issues caused by the nerfing of jumping, that grate however. Its up to you whether or not you want to resolve them somehow, or leave as it is, but here they are...

1. There is now only one route to the 100 shield. You have to go to the top corridor (from the rocket pool) that overlooks the shield, and then jump across the pipes/decor on the right hand side before going across. In the original, you could also reach it by dodge-jumping directly to the shield from that same corridor, and also with a dodge jump from the top of either set of stairs leading into the flak room.

2. The keg of health. In the original, you could perform a double jump to reach this from the lower walkway (saving you a few seconds by not having to walk around to the stairs) - you now can't do this.

3. A smaller one. You cant dodge across to the amp from the minigun - you now need to walk around to it.

There may be more, but I didnt play enough to determine.

Polish this one though. It has the potential to be a great remake of a great map.
    1. You can go on top of the stair rail and wall dodge to it. You can also get to the top corridor from the lower level.

2. You can wall dodge off one of the pillars and get up.

3. I can do this real easy, either by a simple jump or dodge. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do exactly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looking good keep it up

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had a quick shot of this (without bots), and I can confirm "Nice work". Love the look, plays almost as well as the original, and runs smooth. All of Odedge's points are of course valid. I assume you havent forgotten the sounds, just not put them in yet.

There are a couple of issues caused by the nerfing of jumping, that grate however. Its up to you whether or not you want to resolve them somehow, or leave as it is, but here they are...

1. There is now only one route to the 100 shield. You have to go to the top corridor (from the rocket pool) that overlooks the shield, and then jump across the pipes/decor on the right hand side before going across. In the original, you could also reach it by dodge-jumping directly to the shield from that same corridor, and also with a dodge jump from the top of either set of stairs leading into the flak room.

2. The keg of health. In the original, you could perform a double jump to reach this from the lower walkway (saving you a few seconds by not having to walk around to the stairs) - you now can't do this.

3. A smaller one. You cant dodge across to the amp from the minigun - you now need to walk around to it.

There may be more, but I didnt play enough to determine.

Polish this one though. It has the potential to be a great remake of a great map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can't recall how many times I played this and Antalus in the UT2k3 demo. I played a 2 rounds and it's look good so far. Did you import the BSP? as it seems to be scaled for UT2k4, though it still works well.

1. My biggest concern right now is the lighting as it seems to even. There needs to be more contrast between the lit and dark areas.

2. The water is a little hard to see in the rocket launcher pit.

3. It would be nice if you added a different foot step sound for the floor materials in the maps package (I don't like the default one at all).

4. The lifts needs sounds when they move.

5. There doesn't seem to be any ambient sounds in the map. This is needed to give the map some more depth to it.

6. The bots have a hard time navigating the area by the Flak weapon base. I would remove the pathnodes (or paths) to allow them to jump up the pipes and make them walk up the stairs.

Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I remember when I was a nub to UT2k4 and used to play TDM on this map with really easy bots.

I'll download and give it a run later.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not a mapper but it plays nice

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• started a topic DM-Asbestos

DM-Asbestos

Name: DM-Asbestos
    Version: Beta 050
    Compatibility: PC, Patch 2.1, Titan pack
    Description: UT 2004 map remake