X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translocator Fix Mutator (beta 2) [Updated 8/1]

Name: MutTranslocatorFix_b2
    Version: 1.0b2
    Compatibility: Should be compatible with everything from 2.0 and later.
    Description: Fix to very annoying translocator bug in UT3
    Credits: by [PAIN]*Off-Kilter
    Homepage: http://kiltersfunhouse.com
    Download: http://kiltersfunhouse.com/downloads

There is a serious bug with the translocator in UT3. If you are moving forward or dodging forward and shoot your trans, it can actually hit you in the back and bounce off. Yet other players on the server see the translocator move forward as expected. After multiple unanswered cries for help on the forums, I started tracking down this issue myself. The result is a new mutator. It's small, simple, and effective. 3 lines of code to fix this issue :-/

We can finally play UT3 like we're used to and no longer get tripped up thinking we're going to translocate someplace that we're not. Or the disc going the wrong way.

This version is a complete redo from beta 1. Instead of subclassing the existing translocator, it's pretty much a rewrite. Even b1 of this still had issues. This fixes them all, with one downside: bots don't see the disc any longer and won't try to shoot them to disable them. Oh well, I can cope. :-)

so does this mutator sends the player to the disc, or does this send the disc to the translocation location?

Comment

It's the same translocator, so it sends the player to the disc location. I just made it so that it wouldn't hit your back when you shoot it :-/

There's still a little bit of a lag though. I've tried an alternative implementation where we don't use a projectile and that works really well, but since it's not a projectile it ends up having other issues. What I did here instead seemed like a reasonable compromise.

Comment

cool,
        so its a true fix
        they should start using this fix online

Comment

Turns out even this fix still has issues. We were experimenting last night and we saw cases still where the player would see the disc in one place and others in the server would see it in another. When the player trans'd, they'd either:
          • Trans to where the player saw the disc
          • Trans to where everyone else saw the disc
          • Trans to some other spot that noone saw the disc at

This is ridiculous. It seems to me that bNetTemporary just doesn't work in 2.0 and later or something. Because the translocator turns that off (which it should), but it still behaves like it's set to true.

So I tried an alternative solution that does not use a projectile. It is working PERFECTLY. It will have a couple of caveats, but when I'm done testing it I'll put it up here as the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Off-Kilter View Post
            Turns out even this fix still has issues. We were experimenting last night and we saw cases still where the player would see the disc in one place and others in the server would see it in another. When the player trans'd, they'd either:
            • Trans to where the player saw the disc
            • Trans to where everyone else saw the disc
            • Trans to some other spot that noone saw the disc at

This is ridiculous. It seems to me that bNetTemporary just doesn't work in 2.0 and later or something. Because the translocator turns that off (which it should), but it still behaves like it's set to true.

So I tried an alternative solution that does not use a projectile. It is working PERFECTLY. It will have a couple of caveats, but when I'm done testing it I'll put it up here as the pluses far outweigh the minuses.
            tried it in our server eariler and it pretty much worked as advertised, then again i was in there solo, not sure if more problems unveil themselves as more people increase the server load

Comment

I updated this to beta 2 yesterday, which is a complete rewrite of the mut. This one we've been playing with for a couple of weeks solid with NO issues. Beta 1 still had some oddness from time to time. Methinks there's an issue inside the engine for the trans, because this doesn't derive from the original trans and it works fine.

Comment

sweet thx or this you fix that most anoing bug
                can you fix the demo guy bug too XD

Comment

I'll have a new version of this one out in a short while. The latest tweak stops the translocator from playing the translocation sound (which already is played by the translocation). So no more double sounds.

Comment

Working...
                  X