X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KilterBR 1.0b9: Bombing Run, 2k4 Style! [Updated 2/7/10]

Name:KilterBR
    Version:1.0b9
    Compatibility:2.0 and later, but 2.1 & Titan Pack are needed for some maps.
    Description:Port of 2k4 Bombing Run, with Adrenaline!
    Homepage:http://kiltersfunhouse.com/bombingrun
    Download:http://kiltersfunhouse.com/downloads

Changes in 1.0b9
    • Fixed issue where multi-dodge wouldn't function or would stop working.

Changes in 1.0b8
    • Fixed issue where multi-dodge was glitching/stuttering. Was mostly a replication bug in the gametype, but even with that fix it wasn't 100%. So multi-dodge is once again part of the core game as an option in the UTKilterBRSettings.ini file. The multi-dodge gives you unlimited dodging, dodge-jump, and if you wall dodge, it can stop your fall.

Changes in 1.0b7
    • Fixed issue where ball trail would zoom from last place ball was picked up to current launch/drop location using Rigid Body physics.
    • Fixed issue where ball tracking in HUD would sometimes not show correct position when carried using Rigid Body physics.
    • Fixed issue where if a pawn feigns death while holding the ball, it would actually get killed using Rigid Body physics.
    • Fixed issue where dodging would appear to lag or glitch.
    • Fixed issue where standing against a wall and shooting ball would reset the ball using Rigid Body physics.
    • Fixed issue where ball would immediately reset if it entered a pain-inducing volume. It now waits until it has
      landed before 'dying' like 2k4. You should use killZ volumes if you want areas where you can shoot the ball into
      and have it reset immediately.

Changes in 1.0b6:
    • Fixed issue where ball could fall out of geometry and you'd get a stream of "ball reset" messages.
    • Fixed issue where ball would say reset, but it wouldn't get sent back to the ball spawn.
    • Quieted some noise from Squad AI accessing bad variables.
    • Altered Bot behavior if team size is 1.
    • Fixed access of None when a kill was recorded.

Changes in 1.0b5:
    • Rigid Body Physics! You can now turn RB physics on/off as an option (it currently defaults to on). The Mod Settings button has a checkbox for this. With RB, you'll get a more realistic ball effect. We're still tuning the ball mass, etc. but I wanted to get this out sooner rather than later. So the ball may behave a bit differently in the final release. If you use RB physics, you can have the ball react correctly to water volumes by setting the Rigid Body Damping to around 2. Should behave like it used to in 2k4 water volumes. You'll also notice the ball rolling around a lot more now :-)
    • Kimset support. We support events and a condition. See the mapping readme for more information.
    • Tweaked ball trail.
    • Reworked Adrenaline combo code.
    • Added rings around player when activating the Berzerk combo. They used to exist in 2k4, but not in ut3.
    • Moved Adrenaline display to default to right side in order to avoid the play clock. If you play VBR it will be over on the left.
    • Tweaked ball sound to have a better sound radius.

Changes in 1.0b4:
    • Fixed replication issue for ball carrier rings when running a listen server.

Changes in 1.0b3:
    • Fixed issue which would cause us to rewrite the UTKilterBR.ini file with our old prefix.
    • Removed Multi-dodge and quad jump functionality and pushed it out to mutators, available below.
    • Consolidated options under a 'bUse2k4Movement' flag. This now does all it used to, plus corrects dodge speed, jump z, and multi-dodge boost. Also, air control is now set to 0.2 when this setting is used.
    • Added bUse2k4Gravity setting. This setting sets the gravity to approximate 2k4 gravity. If you use the standard UT3 low-grav mutator, we detect this and set it to approximate 2k4 low-gravity. This means we don't need a special mutator just to get 2k4 low-grav settings.
    • Removed the RespawnDelay setting and hard-coded it to be 1.0
    • Added settings scene to allow you to change our setting for instant action, etc.
    • Changed default settings to enable throw score, adrenaline, 2k4 movement and 2k4 gravity.
    • Added setting bTeammateBoost (enabled by default) to allow you to turn off team boosting.
    • Fixed issue where if you shot or dropped the ball with your back against a wall that was at the edge of the world, the ball would fall outside. Heck, CTF flags do this too :-P

Changes in 1.0b2:
    • Changed map prefixes to KBR and VKBR to avoid confusion with Warhead's BR. If you already have downloaded maps for use with this mod from our site, you should re-download them to ensure their .ini files are correct.
    • Corrected some inaccuracies in docs.

If you miss the BR you had in 2k4, here's your fix. You can check out our teaser video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHysTK_MSLs

The link above for the downloads allow you to download not only the gametype, but 5 maps we've created to go with this gametype. Most are recreations of our life in 2k4, but there are some nice UT3 maps too.

This is the first cut of this, but we've been running it for some time now. If you see glitches, let me know. If you have suggestions, let me know. Some mutators might not run with this gametype, as we subclass UTPlayerController and UTPawn.

Overview
    --------
    KilterBR is just what I’m calling my version of Bombing Run for UT3. Unlike the already existing Bombing Run mod, this one is faithful to the 2k4 version. It’s a direct port, only tweaked to work with the new engine. All your favorites are still there, the goals, the ball, and even the ball launcher.

The goal of all of this was to a) learn UT3's engine and b) create a BR that had as close to the same feel of the 2k4 game as possible. We're old IG/LG/1.35 players, and we're a little particular about how we play.

While we are using the 2k4 meshes, etc. at present, over time I’d like to get skins/meshes that blend in with the UT3 look more. I figured let’s start with the things we know and we’ll evolve them over time. I have the 3ds Max, I just need the time… and the talent :-P

BETA
    ----
    This is a BETA release. You may experience some issues. You may hate me, but I warned you. As we roll out new releases, be sure to remove any existing bits from your installation.

How KilterBR Differs
    --------------------
    KilterBR differs from the other BR mod that's out there as follows:
    • It uses the original meshes/skins/sounds as much as we could (for now).
    • We do not offer an option to carry the ball in vehicles by design. This matches VCTF behavior.
    • Vehicle BR is a separate gametype, like VCTF. Maps are prefixed with VKBR instead of KBR.
    • The minimap will only show up on Vehicle BR by design. There are no options to alter this, again by design.
    • The bots probably suck compared to Warhead's BR, though my friend says he's seen strange behavior there too. I believe they spent a lot more time on bots then I would ever care to. Mostly because I’m lazy, but also because I wanted to spend my time on getting the gameplay right.
    • We don’t allow the notion of power node objectives in our version. We want BR to stay BR.
    • We have a custom HUD for BR.
    • We include Adrenaline, from 2k4. We currently support Speed, Berzerk, Invisible, and Booster combos.

In our group, we play with low-gravity, instagib, and speed freak turned on. While the UT3 low-gravity feels a bit wack, it’s actually not all that bad compared to the 2k4 version. We’ve experimented with tweaked gravity, but then the ball physics get all weird. In standard low-grav, you can do all the fun throws and catching using the translocator you’re used to (if you’re into that sort of thing). It’s all a little different given the differences in the engine, but the core gameplay feels pretty good.

Most importantly, it’s fun!

I might implement the ‘ball drains translocator’ option from the original someday, but we always had that off because we’re admittedly kind of trans whores.

Adrenaline
    ----------
    As mentioned, we support adrenaline. You accumulate Adrenaline points either from Adrenaline pickups in a map as well as from kills and scoring goals, etc. When you reach 100 points of Adrenaline, you can excute a combo. The combos are:
    • Speed: press forward 4 times fast.
    • Invisible: press right right left left.
    • Berzerk: press forward forward back back.
    • Booster: press back 4 times fast. Kinda useless in IG.

Mapping
    -------
    Mapping is pretty much the same as it was in 2k4, we offer four actors:
    • KilterBRBombSpawn
    • KilterBRBombDelivery_Red
    • KilterBRBombDelivery_Blue
    • AdrenalinePickupFactory

Just plop those in the right place and you’re off. The goals automatically get the standard mesh and a standard emitter effect (the particle swirl which took ages to finally duplicate, mind you). Both of these can be changed via the editor. We might consider other customizations in the future (such as custom collisions).

In general, we recommend using the standard goals, as they are familar and consistent between maps.

You can put Adrenaline wherever you want in your maps. If the users disables Adrenaline, the pickups are automatically removed.

You name your maps with the KBR prefix (e.g. KBR-Flarized.ut3).

Maps
    ----
    Speaking of maps, we currently have the following maps available at present:
    • KBR-BombingHoops - Yet another Bombing Hoops reimagining.
    • KBR-TwinTombs - Straight conversion with slight UT3 updates.
    • KBR-Flarized - Straight conversion.
    • KBR-Skyline - Another straight conversion with some slight UT3 updates.
    • KBR-2D - Another conversion, but with all UT3 materials.
    • KBR-Thorns - A UT3 version. This one looks absolutely amazing.
    • KBR-Anubis - (coming soon) This is the exact same map you knew and loved, only relit.
    • VKBR-SandStorm - This is just a quick conversion of the VCTF map in UT3. Done mostly for testing and example.

While I did the core game type and Anubis (which too FOREVER), my pal Torch did all the other maps. He is a mapping machine.

PS3 Support
    -----------
    We aren’t sure if we’ll do a console variant. I’ve successfully run our BR on the PS3, but at present you can’t port custom sounds to the PS3. I’m not 100% sure how much it matters or not. For the short-term though, we will likely remain PC only. But IT WAS AWESOME TO SEE IT ON MY TV!

Known Issues
    ------------
    At this time, these are the known issues:

* The bot AI isn't too smart.

There is also an engine bug where if you join a server which has a slightly different KilterBR pieces than you do, you will crash trying to join the server. You might need to remove the pieces from your CookedPC folder.

Mutator Compatibility
    ---------------------
    This gametype subclasses UTPlayerController and UTPawn (and will likely subclass UTBot in the future). Any mutators that replace those classese will NOT work with KilterBR. I am certainly happy to work with mutator developers to help provide them with hooks if at all possible when running under this gametype.

The Titan mutator is specifically disabled when KilterBR is active. This is mostly because of the last point, but also I felt that combining BR with Titan was just kind of silly and wouldn't do anything to enhance the gameplay.

nice job downloading

Comment

I'll be testing this and then get back to you with feedback, i've played the other bombing run and it tends to crash my system (even the latest release) and secondly doesn't have the look or feel of bombing run as i knew it, it really feels like something different, (which is OK too so we're not bagging on their hard work) i'll look forward to trying this, i personally would rather have things with a similar look and feel to the original, IMO if its not broke then don't fix it ((ETA, the UT2004 menu system, was about as good as it gets etc.)) Thx for your hard work and the time you've put into this.

This link isn't working

http://kiltersfunhouse.com/downloads...terBR1.0b1.zip

Comment

I can't seem to download the mod or any of the maps, keep getting 404 Not Found.

Comment

Hi, I am the other BR author. Congrats on your mod . It only gives the community more choices, and imo more is better. You've done some things I know some people will like, such as the old ball launcher and ball graphics, and adrenaline. I personally was sad that adrenaline got cut from ut3. I just consider us all working together to give our community some options, and I wish you success in your efforts

Comment

Originally posted by XenonG View Post
            I can't seem to download the mod or any of the maps, keep getting 404 Not Found.
            Yes, I have the same issue !

Comment

Ok, this is great to have choices but correct me if I'm wrong, as a mapper I'm currently creating maps for the "Other/first" BR mod which uses the "BR" game type abbreviation and the first thing I'm thinking is this is going to create tons of problems for the BR community and Admins.

Has anyone on this Dev Team thought of that???

Or is this something not to worry about?

Enquiry minds want to know!

Comment

Ugh. My bad. I tweaked my permalinks last night and I must have busted downloads. Should be fixed now.

Thanks for the kind words Warhead. If anything, I think this shows Epic there's definitely interest in Bombing Run.

As far a prefixes are concerned. I do mention the prefix issue above. But I was really trying to not have to use a different map prefix (KBR?). I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Comment

That's not Relic, hehe. Warhead's the lead programmer of The Reliquary Bombing Run, Relic's account here is like "relic74" I think.

I don't think another prefix is necessary. Just mark servers and map descriptions (for individual downloads) as TR Bombing Run or KilterBR and there's no problem.

Comment

OK. Fixed my post. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by gorgesucks View Post
                      I don't think another prefix is necessary. Just mark servers and map descriptions (for individual downloads) as TR Bombing Run or KilterBR and there's no problem.
                      Ok, being that I have not dug into Admin/Hosting a UT3 server I now realize that you can actually name the game type whatever so I guess in theory this would work.

I still think a bad idea cause most of the players will be totally confused and might extract from cache maps for one mod and try to play on another mod not knowing compatibility differences.

After all, you want your users to walk away at the end of the day all warm and fuzzy, not frustrated.

Comment

great port

Comment

Originally posted by Làámßø View Post
                          Ok, being that I have not dug into Admin/Hosting a UT3 server I now realize that you can actually name the game type whatever so I guess in theory this would work.

I still think a bad idea cause most of the players will be totally confused and might extract from cache maps for one mod and try to play on another mod not knowing compatibility differences.

After all, you want your users to walk away at the end of the day all warm and fuzzy, not frustrated.
                          Keep in mind too that many of our levels have a secondary prefix, you and Voidy use your names, Relic uses TR, and if I have to, I can mark my own second prefix too.

I don't feel too good about making this become KBR either, because I feel it might cause to community to prioritize our BR over this one, and that's really not what it's about--this one's just got a different philosophy behind it. Really, it's up to Kilter, though I don't know about having ours be BR and there's being a whole different KBR that people might not recognize right away. That's why I thought about our secondary prefixes that we already have--I think that's much better than taking the chance of putting one out over the other. What do you think?

Comment

this is amazing!
                            **WITH ADRENALINE!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomgomgomg NICE!
                            as for the prefix: does this one also use BR?
                            because that might cause conflicts with the other BR mod..

Comment

Originally posted by Coreper View Post
                              this is amazing!
                              **WITH ADRENALINE!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomgomgomg NICE!
                              as for the prefix: does this one also use BR?
                              because that might cause conflicts with the other BR mod..
                              E X A C T L Y

Yes it does contain the exact same prefix at this time.

I brought this concern up already but he's just willing to take a chance.

They only have 5 maps so it wouldn't take that long to "Save As" and rename under a new prefix then of course rename the abbreviation for the game type in the script and recompile to reflect the new change....??? something like that anyway....I'm not a coder but at this stage of the mod would be the perfect time to correct this instead of later where more work would be involved.

I'm in no means trying to bash this mod....It's just I would like to provide some of my maps for this mod as well as they are the primary target for the maps I make....iBR type maps.

Comment

Working...
                              X