• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-DynaCamper [Final has been released]

Name: DM-DynaCamper

Version: Beta 3
    Compatibility: Cooked with 2.1

Description: A training facility in space which teaches you to mind your surroundings and be ready to adapt to the ever changing "battlefield".

Comments: This is an updated version of my first map for UT 3 called DM-AntiCamper. I wanted to update the map with the knowledge I have learned since the original. This is closer to the original idea of what I wanted AntiCamper to play like. Be careful when the Udamage is taken as the "battlefield" will change, in a way.

I am also trying to learn more about Materials and Kismet, so suggestions are welcomed.

Changes from Beta v2

1. Added Dual Enforcer.
    2. Added more ammo and a another medium health.
    3. Fixed issue with bots/players not being able to open force field doors under a specific conditions (thanks to Superking17).

Changes from Beta v1

1. Added some trim to the lower levels.
    2. Added new materials and rotated existing ones on the lower level.
    3. Added some detailing to the ceiling in the middle section.
    4. Added a rotating radar and planet.

Changes from Original

1. Added some lowered sections to each of the main areas (which adds a some z-axis fighting opportunities).
    2. Tweaked weapon/ammo placement to accommodate the layout change.
    3. Redid lighting.
    4. Added a few more detail meshes.
    5. Added a "force field" door that you can walk through, but can't shoot through it unless it's down (while some one is near it).
    6. Added a Kismet sequence that changes the battlefield and thus your tactics while the Udamage is in play.

Known Issues

1. If you shoot the force field door, certain hit marks (weapon decals and bio goop) will still be visible even when the force field is down.
    2. The Kismet sequence lasts for a preset time. I don't know if/how you can make it end when the Udamage expires (this happens if a player get killed, the Udamage falls on the floor, time passes, some one picks it up).

Credits/Thanks: Everyone from the first version, Lord_PorkSword/hubblesite.org for the nublae texture, Remus for the Neptune texture, Stevelois for beta feedback.
    Homepage: www.odedge.com

Download:
    10.2 MB
    5.79 MB (This is still version 1 as I haven't received any feedback from a PS3 user).

Screenshot:

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-dynacamper_beta_pic_0.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-dynacamper_beta_pic_1.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-dynacamper_beta_pic_2.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-dynacamper_beta_pic_3.jpg[/shot]

Ho, another one from my preferred tester

I just saw the thread, the dwn is done but I can't play it yet. I don't know about the original version, still looking at the pics this is what I can suggest :

- It's a good thing you have some floor height but all the floors use the same tiles / pattern. It would look better if you add some variety and a bit of an angle if possible to cut the flatness of the floor & tiling.

- Add some trims on each end of the corridor when you use a stair like in the last pic.

- All of the corridors seem to be in 90 degree angle, by using a 2, 5 degree angle here & there (mostly at the beginning or the end of the corridors) will make it less square.

- The ceiling is looking somehow flat in pic # 2. By adding plastic / steel pipes, holes with cables, grids & such will look better.

- You way want to add some frame loose on the floor to make believe that some ain't been put in place.

It's my 10 secs thoughts. I'll try to post something more complete this w-e

Comment

Well now i know where you have been

Downloading, i dont think i tried the original either.

Comment

I just watch the original thread to notice that the map is ±39 MB and this one only ±9 MB & it look waaaaaaaay better. ****... I don't know how you manage to shrink the map so much & more to make it look better than the original !

This is what I call optimization

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
          Ho, another one from my preferred tester

- It's a good thing you have some floor height but all the floors use the same tiles / pattern. It would look better if you add some variety and a bit of an angle if possible to cut the flatness of the floor & tiling.
          I will try a different floor for each level. I don't want to add any angles to the walls (if that's what you mean) as there isn't a lot of room and I really don't want to start something that would change the look of the map too much.

- Add some trims on each end of the corridor when you use a stair like in the last pic.
          Ooops. Did that for the top floor, but not the lower ones.

- All of the corridors seem to be in 90 degree angle, by using a 2, 5 degree angle here & there (mostly at the beginning or the end of the corridors) will make it less square.
          True, but again, the layout is set and actually, I like the 90 degree look as it resembles the original.

- The ceiling is looking somehow flat in pic # 2. By adding plastic / steel pipes, holes with cables, grids & such will look better.
          Arggh, yes I know and I was debating on whether or not to spruce it up, but will since you mentioned it.

- You way want to add some frame loose on the floor to make believe that some ain't been put in place.

It's my 10 secs thoughts. I'll try to post something more complete this w-e
          Please do, especially regarding the game play elements (even though I know it's a simple layout).

Originally posted by diesalot View Post
          Well now i know where you have been

Downloading, i dont think i tried the original either.
          Waiting on you and keeping busy!

I just watch the original thread to notice that the map is ±39 MB and this one only ±9 MB & it look waaaaaaaay better. ****... I don't know how you manage to shrink the map so much & more to make it look better than the original !

This is what I call optimization
          OK, Mr. Details. If you noticed, the original was a "pack" and this is only one map. Though I did do a little optimization to it, but being it's rather simple, I can only do so much. But, that means this map should be around 19 MB, which means I must have done something to help out the file size.

Comment

LOL and now my other nick name is "Mr. details", what a laugh I have

About my previous post, I'll try to make it simple with a crappy paint job lol
            About the tiles patterns, I was suggesting to cut & add other style to make a good mix even if you leave them at the same angle / size. In yellow, in the lower part, I just add another type tile keeping the same angle & on the upper part I simply use a 45 degree angle instead of the same pattern. Even if your using the same tile, just by playing with the size (0.5, 0.75, 1, 2, etc) / angle you will have a more interesting floor

In red, this is what I was trying to explain by using some angle for the door frame at the end of a corridor or a corner. I simply move the angle a bit so it less square. It's not much but look less square and can be done very easily. Adjusting blocking volume is a piece of cake in this kind of change & won't required much time if you intent to do it.

[screenshot]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5646/ut3dmdynacamperbetapic3.jpg[/screenshot]

My msn will be running in case you need me for more If I'm not responding it's because I'm playing with the map

EDIT

After couple of fights, this is what I've conclude gameplay wise :

- You may add some blocking volume near the stairs to facilitate there use so when the player is on the side he can use them instead of position himself in front. I have to double jump ATM.
            - Don't see the purpose of the slow field (green thing) ? I would get rid of it, even with 4 players it's quite useless.
            - It need more ammo & some vials here & there.
            - Weapon in double, no DE...

Kismet event is a nice touch & the general idea of the map is well thought

Comment

After couple of fights, this is what I've conclude gameplay wise :

- You may add some blocking volume near the stairs to facilitate there use so when the player is on the side he can use them instead of position himself in front. I have to double jump ATM.
              Didn't notice you edited this post. I hear you on this one. You can glitch against the side of the stairs. I will see what I can do to make it easier (maybe add one of those curved stairs).

- Don't see the purpose of the slow field (green thing) ? I would get rid of it, even with 4 players it's quite useless.
              Aww, I wouldn't say it's useless. The main reason it's in there to "defend" against the Udamage. Meaning, you can place it right under it and that would make it much harder to get.

Also, if you are on one side of a wall and some one is "camping" on the other side, you can place it down and trap them in it. So it does have it's uses. But, given the options you have on the map, it shouldn't hurt flow too much.

- It need more ammo & some vials here & there.
              You are probably right, will check it again.

- Weapon in double, no DE...
              Do you really want to be blamed again? The original didn't have it. If I remember correctly, each end of the map has the same number of weapons, except for the flak and the rocket launcher. I don't mind adding the enforcer, just need to find a spot or two. Maybe on top of the platform near each teleporter?

Kismet event is a nice touch & the general idea of the map is well thought
              Thanks. I think I wanted this for the original, but didn't have a clue if and how it can be done. Times have changed as does the nature of the walls in this map.

I know it's not much of a map, but I do appreciate your feedback so this map can reach it's potential.

For what it's worth, I uploaded version 2, which basically has cosmetic changes to the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                Didn't notice you edited this post. I hear you on this one. You can glitch against the side of the stairs. I will see what I can do to make it easier (maybe add one of those curved stairs).
                No prob. Indeed the curved one will do the job. I would tend to use both, straight & curved one depending on spots.

Aww, I wouldn't say it's useless. The main reason it's in there to "defend" against the Udamage. Meaning, you can place it right under it and that would make it much harder to get.

Also, if you are on one side of a wall and some one is "camping" on the other side, you can place it down and trap them in it. So it does have it's uses. But, given the options you have on the map, it shouldn't hurt flow too much.
                I didn't see the use of this item because I never use it (except in VCTF/WAR) but after your explanations, it can be fun It's just that I don't like it in DM.

Do you really want to be blamed again? The original didn't have it. If I remember correctly, each end of the map has the same number of weapons, except for the flak and the rocket launcher. I don't mind adding the enforcer, just need to find a spot or two. Maybe on top of the platform near each teleporter?
                I didn't play with the original so I can't compare. For the DE, I'll take the blame any time LOL But indeed maybe placing it on the walkway jonction where the teleporter are located can be good but I tend to place items out of the way, but it's my way so... give it a try

Thanks. I think I wanted this for the original, but didn't have a clue if and how it can be done. Times have changed as does the nature of the walls in this map.

I know it's not much of a map, but I do appreciate your feedback so this map can reach it's potential.

For what it's worth, I uploaded version 2, which basically has cosmetic changes to the map.
                Your welcome dude. I know it's not much of a feedback I'll try the next version later.

Good day

Comment

No prob. Indeed the curved one will do the job. I would tend to use both, straight & curved one depending on spots.
                  Adding the curved ones really won't work. I don't want to add an blocking volume that acts like a ramp (on the side of the stairs) as it wouldn't make sense (because you can't see it).

In some areas, I can make the stairs wider so there are no areas to jump up. But the original idea is that you should be looking where you walking and if you don't go up the stairs, you will have to double jump up the "wall", which is easy to do.

I didn't see the use of this item because I never use it (except in VCTF/WAR) but after your explanations, it can be fun It's just that I don't like it in DM.
                  I tend to agree. I would never put this in a traditional layout DM map, like DM-Egitim. But for a niche map like this, it works fine.

I didn't play with the original so I can't compare. For the DE, I'll take the blame any time LOL But indeed maybe placing it on the walkway jonction where the teleporter are located can be good but I tend to place items out of the way, but it's my way so... give it a try
                  That wasn't a good idea on my part. The whole point of that platform, by the teleporter is to snipe. I just replaced a stinger with the DE. Now, the only weapons that should be duplicated are the sniper and shock.

[quote[Your welcome dude. I know it's not much of a feedback I'll try the next version later.[/QUOTE]

Since you're the only one to leave feedback, it's alot. Actually, it's great feedback. Some of it I already knew I should do (but was lazy?), some I missed (like the trim on the lower area), and some I just didn't realize.

If you read this, I wouldn't bother testing the second one as it's only cosmetic changes, unless your are bored or something.

Comment

...If you read this, I wouldn't bother testing the second one as it's only cosmetic changes, unless your are bored or something.
                    lol Yep, I've read it & I'll try the map later. Don't think I'll found a phenomenal idea (but I'll let you you if that magic happen LOL). Maybe I can found something to help & since your my top tester, it's the least I can do for you

Comment

lol Yep, I've read it & I'll try the map later. Don't think I'll found a phenomenal idea (but I'll let you you if that magic happen LOL). Maybe I can found something to help & since your my top tester, it's the least I can do for you
                      Well, beta testing isn't really finding a phenomenal idea. At this point, things are pretty much set. But you are helping me to polish it up with a can of Turtle wax! I just uploaded version 3, which has some of your suggestions (minus the stair thing).

Comment

Turtle wax can LOLLLL **** dude, you have your way of explaining polishing

Will let you know if anything so you can use 2-3 can of wax

Comment

Hi! Had a quick run through, liked the layout a lot. I had a little trouble understanding the walls and the color change... with more time on the map I'm sure I'll be able to use it to my advantage... I can't say much about item placement except I always had plenty of weapons and ammo, liked the "middle" room with the helmet, it was fun to play and had a good flow. Sometimes I went to step down and got kicked back up, and sometimes killed, on the small jumppads below the stepdowns in the main "maze" areas. After a while I got used to going down off the ledge on one side or the other. Cool map as always... but where's the deemer? Not sure you ever did a map without one, but I couldn't find it. Cheers!
                          *Edit - Wait, Camper/AntiCamper had no deemer I think... makes sense now. Wah!

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                            Hi! Had a quick run through, liked the layout a lot. I had a little trouble understanding the walls and the color change... with more time on the map I'm sure I'll be able to use it to my advantage...
                            I know I didn't explain the whole "Dynamic" aspect of the map. But when the walls turn purple, it makes it really hard to camp.

Sometimes I went to step down and got kicked back up, and sometimes killed, on the small jumppads below the stepdowns in the main "maze" areas. After a while I got used to going down off the ledge on one side or the other.
                            I placed a "marker" of sorts where you will jump to when you use the jump pads. This should give "warn" you that if you jump down from this spot, to watch for the jump pads (as I know it can be annoy to jump down on one when you don't want to).

Cool map as always... but where's the deemer? Not sure you ever did a map without one, but I couldn't find it. Cheers!
                            *Edit - Wait, Camper/AntiCamper had no deemer I think... makes sense now. Wah!
                            No it didn't and would never thing of adding one in this type/size of a map.

Thanks for checking out, so I guess you didn't have any issues or suggestions for improvements?

Comment

...Thanks for checking out, so I guess you didn't have any issues or suggestions for improvements?...
                              Well, I didn't check it out yet Are you in the hurry

EDIT

I've play it 5 mins after my post lol

- The added items is a good thing (good thing you add the DE)
                              - The floor tiling is better but I would stay in the same style (square tiles with different look & size) because no offense, it look weird imo. The octagonal don't fit well in there & the one is 45 degree look to big. But it's just me so who care lol
                              - The Udamage base is a bit inside the mesh.

Sorry, I don't really see what else I can suggest so it's only 1 layer of wax

Comment

Working...
                              X