Clear All

• replied
    Thanks guys, the map has been released here, and it's now called CTF-Strand

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had a lot of fun great map !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love the theme...excellent work! Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You know, in Timesplitters Future Perfect, there is actually a subway level with a theme called "Mind the Gap" Perhaps you could use that theme for this level?

http://tsmusicbox.com/timesplitters3.html

Here, it is the one called Subway :P...
    Also, if you were to implement some announcments on the level, you could have some humurous ones like:

"Could the people shooting at each other on platform 6, please STOP..."
    "Mind the Gap, Mind the Gap..."
    "Bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla... thank you..."
    "Remember, linkguns and flakcannons must be checked in for safety issues..."
    "We would like to report some problems about some violent people at the subway, approach with extreme violence..."

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looks awesome, as usual from you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hazel.H View Post
    Can you post your system spec and detail settings? Is there a particular spot where the frame rate drops or is it all over? I'm thinking it could be the materials causing the problem; the fallback materials (for lower settings) may need optimizing more too.
    I've running XP with a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 3GB Ram, and 128MB GeForce 8600M GT. It's two years old, so I don't usually comment about performance unless it's worse than Epic maps, they're kind of my standard. And it was all over the map... could be the complex materials.

This kind of popped up into my mind, but would a mesh emitter emitting single escalator steps be easier to create and have less of a performance impact? No collision, just blocking volume and physics volume?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, I love this map. Being a Londoner I must say you have captured the underground theme perfectly. Not only that but it plays like a great, flowing CTF map should. Those little touches such as 'Waterblue' and 'Redminster' made me smile and really show how much detail and care you've put into the map. I can't flaw it. Great job!

PS. All I want now is a fully functioning underground tube where people can get on and off but that really is pushing it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would actually be against moving escalators. The distance travelled is too small to warrant the effort to make them. Plus bots are already a bit iffy around the escalators (they're not very good at jumping onto the handrails for ammo). Not to mention performance impact (no matter how little).

I made the terrible mistake of going up that staircase once, in rush hour, in summer. -never again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the feedback so far

Originally posted by ekyman View Post
    The lifts seem a bit awkward, they just don't fit in with the theme. A spiral staircase would 'feel' better, but in terms of gameplay and flow, it would be much slower. -your call.
    IIRC Covent Garden station has this ridiculously huge spiral staircase. Visually interesting, and maybe at the right scale could work in a game.
    I'd rather keep the lift for gameplay reasons, but I can try it out at different speeds and possibly place a door on the top level.
    Is the staircase about 20 storeys and very very hot and windy? I'm not sure which station it was, but the staircase next to the lift took 5-10 minutes to get to the bottom, glad I wasn't going up

Originally posted by ekyman View Post
    Couple more things.

Inside the Red side vent next to the flag base is a Linkgun and Bio ammo, while the blue side has Bio Ammo and Biogun. Looks like a mistake to me.

I did not see Udam or Shieldbelt anywhere. Did you not put them in? Is this intentional?
    The UDam and Sheildbelt aren't in the level, just two 50s either side. Yes, there should be a bio gun in the vent

Originally posted by tidu View Post
    I love fun, tight CTF maps. This was a lot of fun, although one big problem I had was performance. I probably have a midrange PC, and I can get 30 frames in most Epic maps, but I was struggling in this. I had to drop texture detail to 1 just to get maybe 20 frames average. I'm hoping you just haven't worked on optimization yet since it's beta.
    Can you post your system spec and detail settings? Is there a particular spot where the frame rate drops or is it all over? I'm thinking it could be the materials causing the problem; the fallback materials (for lower settings) may need optimizing more too.

Another thing is the bots don't have a sense of the danger of the railroad tracks, to them it's just a great path with little opposition and a 50a I'm not sure that anything can be done about this. I just thought it was weird (and funny) seeing bots stop to fight on the tracks and get wrecked by the train.
    I'm not sure there's much I can do... the entrance pathnodes get turned off when a train is approaching so bots don't just jump straight in front of it, the only problem is if there's a bot in the tunnel at the time, it gets trapped.

Like stated above, dynamic lights could really add another dimension, like maybe editing the train texture to have glowing windows, attaching small lights so it lights up the wall as it approaches. I'm picturing a darkened tunnel with a train going by casting fast, moving shadows on everything... Maybe some headlights on the train so you can get a bit of a warning before the train hits (plus the two headlights in a dark tunnel thing is just cool to see )
    I've been trying to avoid custom sounds since they won't work on PS3, so lights would be a good cue There is an echo sound shortly before the train goes past but it's probably not enough.

Originally posted by Gunwing View Post
    I concur with the others make the escalators move in the map. Also the part that devides the path ways IE the subway would be great to have a subway train blast through it now and then. (even more fun if you had some flimsy papers that would fly around that part of the map too)
    Not sure what you mean here, the train goes past every 20 seconds down either side - are they working ok for you? I like the papers idea

I'd started working on moving escalators a while back, one of the steps has been matineed, but each one needs to be done individually for each staircase. I'm a bit worried about performance with that many going at once. I'm considering just animating one escalator from the mid towards the base, which gives the player a little boost on the way up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I concur with the others make the escalators move in the map. Also the part that devides the path ways IE the subway would be great to have a subway train blast through it now and then. (even more fun if you had some flimsy papers that would fly around that part of the map too)

It would make the map a must DL for all CTF lovers thats for sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if i may suggest something: i'd definitely make the escalators moving. fun map, nicely made as are all your other maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had second look at this map and I cannot find any major things that need fixing.

But I have small suggestion: add some posters, for eg. retro ad of coke, maybe WWII progaganda ones, maybe old map of metro lines in london etc. Some old newspapers and other junk on floor. There are nice spots to make "house" of homeless bum. Maybe some graffiti.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe some headlights on the train so you can get a bit of a warning before the train hits (plus the two headlights in a dark tunnel thing is just cool to see )
    I was thinking a "Stand Clear of the Platform" or "Mind the Gap" announcement being played just before the train went past.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love fun, tight CTF maps. This was a lot of fun, although one big problem I had was performance. I probably have a midrange PC, and I can get 30 frames in most Epic maps, but I was struggling in this. I had to drop texture detail to 1 just to get maybe 20 frames average. I'm hoping you just haven't worked on optimization yet since it's beta.

Another thing is the bots don't have a sense of the danger of the railroad tracks, to them it's just a great path with little opposition and a 50a I'm not sure that anything can be done about this. I just thought it was weird (and funny) seeing bots stop to fight on the tracks and get wrecked by the train.

Like stated above, dynamic lights could really add another dimension, like maybe editing the train texture to have glowing windows, attaching small lights so it lights up the wall as it approaches. I'm picturing a darkened tunnel with a train going by casting fast, moving shadows on everything... Maybe some headlights on the train so you can get a bit of a warning before the train hits (plus the two headlights in a dark tunnel thing is just cool to see )

Overall it's fantastic, I loved the tongue-in-cheek advertisements. And Waterblue, Redminster? classic

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Couple more things.

Inside the Red side vent next to the flag base is a Linkgun and Bio ammo, while the blue side has Bio Ammo and Biogun. Looks like a mistake to me.

I did not see Udam or Shieldbelt anywhere. Did you not put them in? Is this intentional?

On a second playthrough, the Vent and the Lift (the secondary entrances to the cap points) seem far too easy in favour of offence. Maybe a staircase would help slow down attackers from that side (or make the lift really slow).
    You could put the entrance to the vent (entrance=lower end) somewhere else. Maybe higher up from the ground, so people would need to hammer-jump (or xloc) to get up to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X