• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-Hellir [BETA1]

Name: VCTF-Hellir
    Version: BETA1 [released 15/05/09]
    Compatibility: Patch 2.0

STORY/THEME: So desperate has the Axon civil war become, that now grim battles are fought through the catacombs over the remnants of Necris civilisation.

SCREENSHOTS:
    [screenshot]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9447/screenshot00353.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7018/screenshot00354.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/89/screenshot00359.jpg[/screenshot]

DOWNLOAD PC (PS3 to come): http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+Hell.../fileinfo.html
    EDIT* MSUC version on FilePlanet now available: http://www.fileplanet.com/200249/200...---VCTF-Hellir (this is a slightly tweaked version,, its not really a full Beta2, so not worth an extra download if u already have the map, but if u dont have it yet, get this one)

INSTALLATION: Extract to My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

CREDITS: CREDITS: Me, Epic, Ray Harryhausen, Caroline Munro, G.O.W 2, Prince of Persia.
    Tutorials: 3D Buzz(UT3 Special Edition DVD), Hourences, DGUnreal, Cr4zyB4st4rd (minimap), cannedmushrooms, godfree7 & kcin228(Youtube).

SERVERS: If you are hosting, or have seen this map on any servers pls let me know and I'll list them here.

INSPIRATION:
    Theme:
    Necris themed VCTF level set in vast catacombs. Inspired by the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies, the subterranian Locust worlds from G.O.W 2, and especialy this picture which I think is from the Prince of Persia games:
    [screenshot]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1366/insp.jpg[/screenshot]
    Hourences example level from his Level Design book was also a great help in general composition and lighting.

GAMEPLAY:
    A massive VCTF level for high player numbers. Heavy emphasis on fighting for, and holding the centre ground. There are multiple routes through the bases, and large open areas for combat in the centre, split into 3 main routes. There is a neutral Darkwalker vailable in the centre, similar to VCTF-Containment, but with much greater LOS and offensive capability.

ISSUES - TODO LIST:
    The level was very rushed, built in under 1month. There are many problems, but has been released to meet MSUC deadline. The bot pathing is a total mess, and the interior lighting is especialy gruesome. Later Betas should polish this up, but Im hoping the layout will provide some big fun battles for multiplayer eitherway

Enjoy, Crayfish.

Dude, your always have astonishing pics for great inspiration

For a 1 month work the map look already very good Very talented dude

Comment

wewt credits

Anyway, looking good, although im not to sure on the DOF in there never liked what DOF does at all. If that even is DOF or just a bad screenshot or the fog..

The area (or fog) is green, yet seems to have a beige/lime light somewhere? That imo, doesn't match the rest of the colouring.

The overall theme is nice, standard necris, but there's a load of LED arrow lights, they just do not fit the rest of the map. Maybe some decals of painted ones would work better.

That's all just asthetics picked out from the ss's ill dl and test when i finish my map
      D:

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
        Dude, your always have astonishing pics for great inspiration
        For a 1 month work the map look already very good Very talented dude
        Thankyou Steve, I very much appreciate the encouragement you give.
        Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
        wewt credits
        Anyway, looking good, although im not to sure on the DOF in there never liked what DOF does at all. If that even is DOF or just a bad screenshot or the fog..
        The area (or fog) is green, yet seems to have a beige/lime light somewhere? That imo, doesn't match the rest of the colouring.
        The overall theme is nice, standard necris, but there's a load of LED arrow lights, they just do not fit the rest of the map. Maybe some decals of painted ones would work better.
        That's all just asthetics picked out from the ss's ill dl and test when i finish my map
        D:
        I never usualy use DOF, but the map is gigantic, perhaps the biggest vctf level out there, something like 23,000 units long. It just didnt seem right without a little.
        Yellow light is from the flame toches, probably ended up messy colours, just cause the lighting is a mess in general..
        Yeah the LED lights were a last resort, i had to have something clear. When I looked at CTF-LostCauze and Nanobloack, they both worked in the LEDs to a totaly Necris enviroment. Not to compare this to those masterworks, but it seemed to validate thier use..

Thanks alot guys.

Comment

Wow, that's one epic looking map you got there... Might also be cool as a (T)DM, btw.

Comment

Well if you want to run 20,000 units to get into battle perhaps :P
            Thanks dude, but the level is enormous too big for TDM i fear..

Comment

Originally posted by Crayfish View Post
              Well if you want to run 20,000 units to get into battle perhaps :P
              That's what hoverboards are for. Also, the DM version could simply be a bit smaller.

Comment

Great stuff

Comment

great map found some glitch [shot]http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=234w.jpg[/shot] when i wqalk on that mouton it like i am flouting
                  no gtound under my feet

Comment

Looks neat, I'll try it out for you.

Comment

Thanks guys
                      Coolcat, thanks for finding that, but let me assure you, that will be one of many, many collision isssues..

Comment

Added MSUC FilePlanet mirror:
                        http://www.fileplanet.com/200249/200...---VCTF-Hellir
                        (this is a slightly tweaked version,, its not really a full Beta2, so not worth an extra download if u already have the map, but if u dont have it yet, get this one)

Comment

Hey Crayfish, was wondering if you were planning on releasing this? I would love to play it on dfb or utf, its a great looking and playing map.

Sorry for not responding, completely forgot about reviewing it. The only thing I found were some deadzones with terrain/static meshes. Couldnt find any other apparent bugs.

Looks and feels good, please publish!

Comment

I found some bugs you can fix later, if you did not know about them already

1. If you jump behind the base in the water, its impossible to get out so maybe add an instadeath?

2. There is an invisble rock mesh in the water area in the center

Suggestions:

Maybe add a fast-track or superjump pad to help FC get to their base to avoid the Corruption stalemate that I think this map might encounter on more populated servers.

Other than that, I think this map is quite beautiful with a great soundtrack! <3

Comment

I would put the fast-track in the middle of the map, near the redeemer.

Comment

Working...
                              X