No announcement yet.

DM-Restrict [BETA 1] [Screens] [PC DL]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow 11 fps, thats bad. i just got a new pc for 1k, so i guess thats why it seemed ok to me. my old one was 3.5 yrs, amazing how pcs have upped over the last 3 yrs.

Comment

Had a few duels and a 2v2 tdm on the map, came across a few collision bugs.

Ill have a 2nd beta with those fixed and hopefully better FPS for MSUC deadline.

Anythign anyone else has found would be nice if you could point it out asap

Comment

Well, I didn't have the time to check it out this w-e. But I intent to check it this week.

Don't worry for MSUC, they accept beta's Just don't rush the map for a contest, it look **** nice so please, don't waste it only for some deadline.

Comment

Ok I did a quick run around and this is what i came up with:

Overall the visuals/atmosphere are good, I especially like the use of emitters. Granted, it might be a little over the top for some but it helps to bring the map "to life". As you say there are a few areas that are comparatively bland but you are working on those and they dont detract much from the overall look anyway.

Performance was good but I did notice a big frame hit in the UDamage area, possible something to do with the water emitter in there but im not sure. There must be a way to improve performance without much of an impact on visuals as it is quite a small map.

Lighting is done well, I only found one small error that looked unintended, as I move towards the wall in these pics a light seems to "pop" in and out of existence. I have never seen this before and dont really know what to suggest, but here are some screens to illustrate.

[screenshot]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2143/disappearinglight2.jpg[/screenshot]

And then I walk a few steps back....

[screenshot]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8223/disappearinglight.jpg[/screenshot]

I hope you see what I mean, its very noticeable in game.

Another small aesthetic suggestion would be to replace the mesh you have used as a lift with something a little more lift-like, right now it matches your walkways and didnt really strike me as an elevator until i stood on it.

[screenshot]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4483/lift.jpg[/screenshot]

Ambient sounds were good overall, my only complaint would be that which has already been mentioned, the water droplet hitting the light fitting seems too loud when up close and fades away too rapidly considering its volume. Small thing really but with some tweaking you could achieve a great effect.

One more thing, a suggestion rather than a "fix", you have a number of rotating fans in the level and I thought that they would be a little more pleasing to the eye and look less copy/pasted if the speeds were varied a little to indicate various levels of motor degradation. Let me know what you think.

Hope this helps.

Comment

CrazyBastard:

First of all, fix that **** sound of broken lamp near UDam, cause it's have to big radius... I can hear when I stands by the ShockRifle...

Secondly... may I know why did you made few floor meshes a physics "alive"...
            Of course mostly you did that for fun... but in few places when you shoots this meshes they fly like a plastic bottle not heavy metal piece, and lighting is broking on some of these PhysicAlive Pieces

Third... Try to make more advanced Elevator, cause this one... is good, but too much simple for you enviroment...

Regards and Good Luck with map...

Comment

@Secret_Squirrel - The light issue on the wall im going to have to put down to overlapping meshes, ill see what i can do, although can't remember seeing it in-game.

The lift, is still the same lift as i had from my original play test and it was just something i threw in to have a working concept at the time, it will get fixed up

As for the fans, quite a few are at varying speeds. I will adjust them some more, possibly have some stopping and starting but thats more work

@VikingWasDead - The sound radius isn't that big, there is actually another sound on the ramp at shockrifle.

The meshes that fly around are just converted to KActors so they have physics, and as they have a default material it doesn't have any weight as such set need to remember how to change that, thanks for reminding me. The lighting is dynamic so lit in real time and can mess up sometimes, im gonna try and fix it dy disabling dynamic lights on ym directional light and just using the sky light.

For the elevator, as above.

And FPS has been improved by around 15-20 FPS from what i've tested so-far although have since added more meshes, it may need some more aggressive culling to help out if it doesn't run alright.

Thanks both

Comment

It looks fantastic - the layout is fantastic - it runs like ****!

Honestly, most of the time it' struggling in low 30's and often dips to low 20's. Even when its above 30, its not a smooth 30 (if there is even such a thing).

Right now its certainly not playable for me, but you are speaking about performance gains so maybe that will be enough. I certainly hope so, as the quality is undeniable.

Amp location is very odd though. If you want to make it optional, you would be better stuffing it in a corner somewhere. Right now there are 2 problems with it - 1. you can still pick it up by accident if jumping to avoid fire, and 2. the bots cant pick it up.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback Bawsy

Working on the FPS, and trying again and again to make it even better

The Amp is different yes, but it's something else and a change, you can't always keep stuff the same
                  Problem 1 i see no problem :?
                  Problem 2, that's because they suck Not sure i can hack a way to make them do it either.

Comment

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
                    Amp location is very odd though. If you want to make it optional, you would be better stuffing it in a corner somewhere. Right now there are 2 problems with it - 1. you can still pick it up by accident if jumping to avoid fire, and 2. the bots cant pick it up.
                    uhm what? wheres the issue when you pick up the amp?

Comment

Originally posted by PinkyRing View Post
                      uhm what? wheres the issue when you pick up the amp?
                      One of crazy's reasons for amp location was so that duel players can decide not to pick it up if they want to play amp-free. Im merely stating that its still easy to pick it up by accident. I then suggested placing it in a corner or out of the way may be better. Whats there to uhm about?

Comment

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
                        One of crazy's reasons for amp location was so that duel players can decide not to pick it up if they want to play amp-free. Im merely stating that its still easy to pick it up by accident. I then suggested placing it in a corner or out of the way may be better. Whats there to uhm about?
                        well 90% of duellers use utcomp nowadays. and amp is automatically switched off..thatswhy i was curious

Comment

the amp there is fine, **** fine I'd say, you better dont take out my amp cr4zyy!!!!!!

Comment

I won't quit moaning

Just gone and done LOADDDDSSSSSSSS

And i mean LOADS of work.

Tomrrow i might be able to get my rain in D: If not then i don't, w/e

Comment

Originally posted by Ignotium View Post
                              the amp there is fine, **** fine I'd say, you better dont take out my amp cr4zyy!!!!!!
                              Except that bots wont pick it up. A >>LOT<< of people play this game offline, and therefore, that to me is an issue.

Crazy - take a look at the great SpaceNoxx remake in this beta section. Bots appear to double jump for the amp in that....

Comment

Working...
                              X