• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-GRD-Pulse [Alpha2][Pics]

Name:CTF-GRD-PulseAlpha2
    Version: 0.1
    Compatibility: 2.1
    Description: A space-themed map designed for greed (but it also works for CTF)
    Comments: None
    Screenshot:
    [shot]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6664/screenshot00018r.png[/shot]
    [shot]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7199/screenshot00019.png[/shot]
    [shot]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3848/screenshot00020.png[/shot]

Credits: Myself, Talbot for assistence in the construction, Odedge, leakingpaint and others who have replied to my threads, Bersy's greed video for the idea
    Homepage: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=675383
    Download:http://files.filefront.com/CTF+GRD+P.../fileinfo.html
    You can cook this for the PS3, but do it yourself, don't ask me to.

After a quick test, I have determined that it does work with patch 2.1

Comment

I gave it a run though in GRD, but not CTF (though I played in the editor for CTF ). The first round was very lopsided in which my team won easily. The second round was much more interesting. The red team pulled ahead and we were down by 20ish points. I was at the top, but I didn't have enough points to win. I grabbed the redeemer, killed a guy at the very top of the main area (before you jump pad up to the final tower), went down, grabbed his skulls, went up and won. I was afraid if I scored the skulls I had, a red team member would be on his way up and win the game. It's these situations that make a game fun.

That being said, here are some random thoughts.

1. The little "room" on the bottom floor seems a bit crowded for getting a link gun or a 25 health. Also, there should be more room between it's outer walls and the ramps that lead from the first to the second level.

2. You might want to add a directional arrow (the ones used in CTF games) indicating where the jump pad is going to. I am doing this in my current map (also, use the yellow MIC as a material override). This is most important for the lowest ones as they "push" you back, which doesn't seem natural to me. I would also make the ceiling a bit taller on the level where you land as it's too easy to hit the "ceiling" and fall down a level.

3. I would make the playing area smaller on the first and possibly second floors. It extends a bit too much from the center of the map.

4. While I am glad the bots aren't link gunning me to death, now they are just flak gunning me to death. There is too many in the map, especially on the two bottom floors. To me, this should be more of 3rd floor item, but only a couple of them. There needs to be other weapons as well (shock rifle especially). Remember, as long as the weapon placement is equal for both teams (compared to where they spawn from), it's still balanced.

5. One of your BSP walls that is on the bottom floor has a BSP error in which it's missing a face.

6. The static mesh walkways open up this part of the map and the bots no longer have to duck, which is a good thing. You might want to make all or some of them skinnier, depending on what you want. If they were skinnier, there is a greater chance the skulls will fall down, which can be a good or bad thing (bad thing if you are the person who just shot them).

7. I would be certain that even the lowest level bots can reach the top. The one thing that concerns me are the jump pads up top in which you have to jump onto (there is no way to walk up to it).

8. I don't think it's really necessary to have weapons on the upper "tower" (I am referring to the stingers). If you do, they shouldn't be the same one (maybe replace one with a shock rifle). Also, I wonder about the need for the chest armor. On one point, if a player gets to the bottom of the tower first, more than likely, they won't be able to be caught. On the other hand, having that chest armor there might encourage them to "stand and fight and collect more skulls", which is what Greed is about.

9. You may need to add more path nodes for the bots to full take advantage of your map. I saw a few occasions where bots got stuck in some "loops". I looked at the map in the editor and there needs to be enough path nodes for a bot to reach all parts of your map. In addition, there are some places that need them just to allow the bots to make a better decision. If needed I can post pics as this is hard to explain.

10. I wonder how much of an advantage does a player have that reaches the top first. Not only can he possibly get the redeemer (which he doesn't have to use before he scores some points, meaning he can instantly spawn to the bottom and have the most powerful weapon). You could move this to an outer ledge on top of the main building instead.

Also, since there is only one way to get to the top platform, it may be too easy for them to camp there with a flak and only have to look down. Maybe another way to jump to this top platform could help?

Overall, I think it has made a nice jump in game play (also having some better visuals helps too). The two biggest changes I think that are needed is a better distribution of weapons around the map (especially on the first and second level) and better bot pathing. The bots still tend to stay down on the bottom floors too much.

p.s. You will get fancy pdf file when I beta test the map.

Comment

I'll look into this later, but try if you play it in CTF (works best with high score limits), there will be a huge laser that kills many things that activates when the flag is captured (no more campers!), but it doesn't work in greed for some reason. If you want to see the laser in action, just type in 'ce Kill' in the console while playing any gamemode.
        Edit- There will not be a beta, it will just go straight to final. There is just so little time.

Comment

Ok, here is what I am going to try to do (keep in mind that I am trying to finish this map for the MSUC and I don't have much time)
          1. I'll probably shrink the jet engine in the middle, but I am going to keep the pickups in the same place because it is the only reason to go there in the first place.
          2. I see what you mean. Could you show me a pic of the arrow thing in your level so I know what would work?
          3. I can't do anything about that now, not enough time.
          4. I'll swap some flaks for shock rifle and see how it works.
          5. Could you take a screenshot of it? I don't have time to hunt for BSP errors, but I'll fix it if you can find it.
          6. I'm not sure what you mean by that.
          7. I will add a narrow walkway to the jumppads so they can walk to them, but are still encouraged to jump.
          8. I'll swap a stinger for something else, and probably leave the armor. I put it there to draw players into sniping range from below and increase the chance of falling.
          9. I see what I can do about that. You are talking about the bots getting stuck for no reason right?
          10. The redeemer was sort of meant for CTF. In CTF, all players on or directly below the tower are killed (including the flag carrier) when the flag is captured, so you would have to take time to shoot it over the edge before scoring. I don't want to make it too easy, so I think I will leave it where it is.
          11. I can't think of any other good ways to get to the tower, so I'm thinking of making it possible to activate the laser that kills everyone on/directly below the tower (look at the 3rd picture in the original post) by shooting a target at the top with a sniper or something like that.
          Edit- How do the visuals look so far? They aren't amazing, but are they at least OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Superking17 View Post
            Ok, here is what I am going to try to do (keep in mind that I am trying to finish this map for the MSUC and I don't have much time)
            <-- The look on my face when I keep in mind that you are trying to finish the map for the MSUC, but good luck with it.

2. I see what you mean. Could you show me a pic of the arrow thing in your level so I know what would work?
            Open up the UN_Team upk file and look for these...

Static Mesh=UN_Team.SM.Mesh.S_UN_Team_SM_LED_Base
            MIC=UN_Team.MI_UN_Team_SM_LED_Base_Neutral

5. Could you take a screenshot of it? I don't have time to hunt for BSP errors, but I'll fix it if you can find it.
            Search for "brush_99

6. I'm not sure what you mean by that.
            You have 4 walkways that either go across the 3rd/4th floors (where the UDamage is located) and go from the 3rd to the 4th floor (each has 3 health vials and a link ammo), make them less wide if you want the skulls to have a better chance to fall down.

9. I see what I can do about that. You are talking about the bots getting stuck for no reason right?
            That's one reason, but if you look at the paths in the editor, there are a lot of long paths. If additional path nodes were placed, that would give the bots more choices.

11. I can't think of any other good ways to get to the tower, so I'm thinking of making it possible to activate the laser that kills everyone on/directly below the tower (look at the 3rd picture in the original post) by shooting a target at the top with a sniper or something like that.
            You could get rid of the middle jump pad (and hole) that pushes you to the very top platform. The place 2 skinny walkways on the oppostie ends of the second to last platform (similar to where the Redeemer is located). This way there is 2 ways to get up. These jump pads can lead directly to the conduit/flag base or to the other side, then the player needs to walk a few steps.

Edit- How do the visuals look so far? They aren't amazing, but are they at least OK?
            Hehehe, I would say they are OK, but as always at this stage, things will change. But I think you are on a good track to make it look good.

Comment

Thanks. Btw, your greed map list thread still links to the old alpha, not this one.
              <- I am assuming this face means that you don't think I'll finish it in time right? That might happen, but I am almost done meshing, and after that, all I have to do is the lighting and some ambient sounds. If there is still time after that, then I will get some post-process and emmiter effects in.

Comment

Thanks. Btw, your greed map list thread still links to the old alpha, not this one.
                Fixed.

<- I am assuming this face means that you don't think I'll finish it in time right? That might happen, but I am almost done meshing, and after that, all I have to do is the lighting and some ambient sounds. If there is still time after that, then I will get some post-process and emmiter effects in.
                It implies that,yes. I think I tend to be a slow mapper, but best of luck to you.

Comment

I'm a fast mapper who gets sidetracked occasionaly
                  I'm already done the meshing and red/blue lighting at the spawn rooms.

Comment

Moar pichrs wil b comin soon!!!!11!!
                    The lighting is coming along nicely at this point, but its a bit bright in some areas. I am working on the lighting for the laser beam things at the moment.

Comment

Well, I guess I forgot how much work I have to do. I am pretty much done already. The pics will have to wait, I want to finish the post-process effects before I take them.

Comment

Again, I forgot to get the pictures. I do have some news, the post process bloom is only slightly annoying now, I have some triggered sounds and camera shake effects, the new darker lighting hides my crappy meshing job, I've added in a new kismet sequence (I can't tell you what it does yet, but I can tell you that it is hard to miss all the noise and destruction it will create if you run into one of its triggers ) and I have replaced the giant white blob in the sky with a black hole.

Comment

The final version will be available tomorrow!!!1!!!!1111!

Comment

The final version will be available tomorrow!!!1!!!!1111!
                            Sound good, I will update my Greed list. Just a tip though, keep the Shift key pressed.

Comment

Working...
                            X