Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx [Final Rel 4/28/10]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx [Final Rel 4/28/10]

Name: DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx
    Version: v0.99c (RC3)
    Player Count: 4 to 6 players
    Compatibility: UT3 PC v2.1
    RC3 Release Date: 4/25/10

Description:
    A remake of the famous DM-FST-SpaceNoxx in UT2004 by Fuegerstef which in turn was a remake of DM-SpaceNoxx in UT done by Cedric "Inoxx" Fiorentino.

RC3 Changelog:
    1) Added more metal footstep sounds on as many things I could find. Even some Steve missed! (antennas...)
    2) Babes are now under glass.
    3) Rotated playerstarts on upper ring.

RC2 Changelog:
    1) Fixed (hopefully) the flying deemer handle.

RC1 Changelog:
    1) Fixed footstep sounds on metal grates.
    2) Slightly improved bots getting to the deemer.
    3) Doubled babe resolution.
    4) Added an ambient sound for the "energy pool" in the center.

Beta 2 Partial Changelog:
    1) Reworked nearly all of the textures in Photoshop.
    2) Modified nearly all materials (including UT3 assets)for better visuals and cohesiveness.
    3) Slowed down elevator.
    4) Added more ambient sounds.
    5) Added some more meshes and bumped out some brushes.
    6) Now get gibbed when falling through center (gives kill credit for pushing in)
    7) Removed white swirl effect in center and created energy pool effect with customized materials and emitter
    8) Fixed timing sync issue with amp spawn animation and sounds
    9) Adjusted lighting and added more realistic sunlight
    10) Redeemer door switch will now be activated by all primary and secondary weapons (a UT3 bug editor workaround)
    11) Effects on blue pipes under grates have been improved with layered custom, animated materials.
    12) Improved details on weapons bases with more details and better lighting.

Screenshots:
    [screenshot]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8366/frontleftb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/9625/energypoolb2.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9536/jumppadb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4462/linkb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3446/overheadrocketb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9297/deemerb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6674/pipegratesb2.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2039/switchb2.jpg[/screenshot]

Download Final Here:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...2#post27278902

Comments:
    There have been a few SpaceNoxx versions out there but none of them have come close to the glory of Fuegerstef's version for UT2004. Just for yuks I decided to build a Fuegerstef replica for UT3. This one is rebuilt from scratch but I was able to export many of the textures and some of the meshes from 2004 to make it feel like home. :-)

Challenges:
    - I had to build my own mesh for the blue ring in the center which took a ton of time and I still don't think it looks as good as the FST version.
    - I had no idea it was so difficult to give the illusion of the floating amp! For those of you who aren't aware, you have to scale the real amp to the size of a dust speck and then animate (and hide/unhide) the amp static mesh and emitter.
    - I spent a ton of time dialing in the gravity to be as close as possible to the FST version.
    - The jumppads took an enormous amount of time to get them to look right.

New twists:
    - There is a Kismet based amp spawn sequence that was fun to make.
    - Since there is no ion painter in UT3, the switch where that was stored is "broken". If you were a fan of Fuegerstef's babes, don't be alarmed - through the magic of Kismet and material changing you get to see both of them at different times when opening the Redeemer door .
    - Kismet controlled green lights around the upper ring to mimic the texture used in the FST version.

Credits:
    1) So far, a big thanks to Fuegerstef for making the most played map on my UT2004 server and for giving me the green light to release this version.

Hey Martin

Just saw the new map before going to sleep, it's 3:30 AM.

Another great map ahead, damn, that look so nice & reading the stuff you made, it's an amazing amount of work time redoing that classic with current visuals & kismet enhancements

For how long have you working on this ?

I'm busy ATM but I'll try to check it out this week end

Later

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
      Hey Martin

Just saw the new map before going to sleep, it's 3:30 AM.

Another great map ahead, damn, that look so nice & reading the stuff you made, it's an amazing amount of work time redoing that classic with current visuals & kismet enhancements

For how long have you working on this ?

I'm busy ATM but I'll try to check it out this week end

Later
      Hey Steve, I don't want to get people too excited after all of the work that went into the Hangar . It is mostly just to get a version that plays well into UT3 since the ones that have been released so far aren't my cup of tea. Folks that liked the FST version should be happy to have this version.

To do this one right, I'd have to do a 100% custom version with custom meshes and materials because I don't think the UT3 assets are a good fit. I had a version that used all UT3 materials but then I decided that the UT2004 textures fit it better even though exporting them was a bit lossy.

I've had a private beta of this one going for quite a while but had to stop and finish the Hangar. Hey, I can see you're a nightowl Editor addict like me eh?

Comment

Looks really true to the original.
        You even have the "UT-A1" letters on the pillars, which I used to mention my Girlfriend in that map.

I think you would make Flak pretty happy releasing a version of DM-FST-Sacrifice. If you want... ...go ahead.

Comment

Awesome job! One of my old favorites. It's great that you took the time to remake such a great classic for all to enjoy in UT3. Now I have two additional favorites a new and old "The Hanger and SpaceNOXX." - you ROCK!

Comment

This looks way better than the previous remake.

Comment

Originally posted by L1A View Post
              This looks way better than the previous remake.
              Agreed - best remake Ive played for UT3 BY FAR!! A few things I have noticed though.

1. The asteroids are REALLY confusing. When playing normal DM, they are the same murky brown colour as characters, and unfortunately, about the same size. This leads to a lot of confusion!

2. A lift jump sends you WAAAAAAAY up. I cant remember ever going so high in other versions, but maybe my memory fails me.

3. The jump-pads are not very noticeable. Maybe some more obvious emitters, or more noticable trim?

Great work though, looking forward to this one going final!

Comment

Looks purty! Btw, I suddenly had an idea... how about an XL version where you can go inside the main structures -- lower disc platform, upper disc platform, tower(s)? Basically a micro city edit. Could be cool for sniping and larger (TDM) matches.

Comment

@Bawsy The jump pads look plenty noticeable to me. Plus, they weren't all flashy in the original.

[EDIT]
                  Just tested the map. There is a srs lack of gibbing in the middle fall area. In the original, if you touched the sort of force field thing in the middle, you'd be instantly gibbed. The map rly needs the gibs. And, those white effects beneath it look a bit weird, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by L1A;26364418[EDIT
                    Just tested the map. There is a srs lack of gibbing in the middle fall area. In the original, if you touched the sort of force field thing in the middle, you'd be instantly gibbed. The map rly needs the gibs. And, those white effects beneath it look a bit weird, imo.
                    +1 especially about those white effects; it will probably look better without them
                    i like ur sky ;the sun through the asteroids is awesome
                    nice athmosphere with original feeling
                    thx for ur work and gl for next beta

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Let me address some of the comments:

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post

1. The asteroids are REALLY confusing. When playing normal DM, they are the same murky brown colour as characters, and unfortunately, about the same size. This leads to a lot of confusion!

2. A lift jump sends you WAAAAAAAY up. I cant remember ever going so high in other versions, but maybe my memory fails me.

3. The jump-pads are not very noticeable. Maybe some more obvious emitters, or more noticable trim?

Great work though, looking forward to this one going final!
                      1. I had that problem when I first started playing it and it does make it more difficult to play than the original but part of the problem is the way the characters are lit in UT3. And... I can't help but address the irony here: The irony is that, from what I know, poor character visibility was one of the top things the caused Fuegerstef to leave the UT3 community. Otherwise he would have done a remake himself and it would have been 10X better than my remake. At this point I would have to dramatically change the look of the sky which I probably won't do at this point due to lack of time. Sorry bout that.

2. I agree that if you hit the launch on the vator just right, you can go quite a bit higher than the FST version. I couldn't figure out how to get the normal jump distances just right coupled with the air time settings and not get a huge launch off the vator. From what I've tried so far, I can't get the gravity to act exactly the same in UT3 as it did in UT2004 so if anybody can help me with that, that would be great. I have to say, other than that, I'm really happy with how it actually plays. It plays even more brutal than the 2004 version.

3. This one surprised me a bit. I thought I had 'em stylin' pretty good . I was going for the look of the original and thought I got it pretty close. I just realized that I haven't tried it yet at low graphics settings like I normally do for testing purposes. Are you using lower graphic settings and maybe not seeing the emitter effect on the jump pad? I feel like I'm striking out with you here Bawsy.

Originally posted by L1A View Post
                      [EDIT]
                      Gibs! Yes we need gibs! I'm on it beeches.

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
                      +1 especially about those white effects
                      Okay, okay, white thingy will have to go. Man you guys are even more purists than I am and I'm pretty hard core LOL! I was attempting to give some sort of energy swirl in there. The FST version had a cool lightning bolt jumping around to various nodes in the ring. There is no analog to that in UT3 unfortunately. I will go ahead and get rid of it but I may play around with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Northrawn View Post
                        Looks really true to the original.
                        You even have the "UT-A1" letters on the pillars, which I used to mention my Girlfriend in that map.

I think you would make Flak pretty happy releasing a version of DM-FST-Sacrifice. If you want... ...go ahead.
                        Well this guy is working on it http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ight=Sacrifice but no post in that thread from Flak though so she must not approve .

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
                          Looks purty! Btw, I suddenly had an idea... how about an XL version where you can go inside the main structures -- lower disc platform, upper disc platform, tower(s)? Basically a micro city edit. Could be cool for sniping and larger (TDM) matches.
                          That actually would be pretty cool. I remember Morbias XL which was extended upward. I have some other remakes on my list to do though. If you wanted to try and tackle it, I could give you all of the uncooked files as a base to start from.

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL
                            Thanks for the feedback everyone. Let me address some of the comments:

1. I had that problem when I first started playing it and it does make it more difficult to play than the original but part of the problem is the way the characters are lit in UT3. And... I can't help but address the irony here: The irony is that, from what I know, poor character visibility was one of the top things the caused Fuegerstef to leave the UT3 community. Otherwise he would have done a remake himself and it would have been 10X better than my remake. At this point I would have to dramatically change the look of the sky which I probably won't do at this point due to lack of time. Sorry bout that.
                            Not a problem. I guess it wont really be an issue for TDM anyway. And for DM - well, it keeps you on your toes!

2. I agree that if you hit the launch on the vator just right, you can go quite a bit higher than the FST version. I couldn't figure out how to get the normal jump distances just right coupled with the air time settings and not get a huge launch off the vator. From what I've tried so far, I can't get the gravity to act exactly the same in UT3 as it did in UT2004 so if anybody can help me with that, that would be great. I have to say, other than that, I'm really happy with how it actually plays. It plays even more brutal than the 2004 version.
                            Agree 100% - you've got the gravity feeling spot on IMO, so dont change it. Would it be possible to lower the speed of the lift slightly in order to compensate? If not, then the huge lift jump now becomes a risk, which is no bad thing in itself - and a nice personal touch.

3. This one surprised me a bit. I thought I had 'em stylin' pretty good . I was going for the look of the original and thought I got it pretty close. I just realized that I haven't tried it yet at low graphics settings like I normally do for testing purposes. Are you using lower graphic settings and maybe not seeing the emitter effect on the jump pad? I feel like I'm striking out with you here Bawsy.
                            I play on medium or low level of detail (cant remember which). I do see emitters, but they are not very obvious. Subjective opinion however - dont feel you have to act. L1A has already said he had no problem noticing them, as do you. Must be my old-man eyes

Played it some more last night (you cant beat SpaceNoxx & Morpheus to end a gaming session). I LOVE the effect for the UDamage! I also dont mind the white stuff going on underneath - however, instant gibs are needed for falling in

Comment

Hey

Finally have a chance to play your version. I really like it & the gravity feel is damn... heu... damn great

I really like the liberty movement in there. You amaze me every time with your moving parts

I don't have nothing to say about weapons, ammo, health, music, atmosphere. I like all these aspects. I also think you've done a good job about the textures. I don't think that is possible & I'm sure you already made everyting you possibly can but the only minor thing I would like to see is maybe to rise a bit more the definition of the textures, the structured part. But as I say, if only it can be done a bit more without impacting to much FPS.

BTW, FPS is really, really great I get around ±200 FPS regardless of where I look at, simply amazing taking into acount the amount of stuff moving in space

Maybe 1 thing that as not been mention, have you consider moving the sun (the orange one beside the planet) at the opposite of the planet so the platform would be like in the middle ? I say that because it's like all the light source are like place one beside another & the rest of the space is rather dead in term of light source.

In all, I love it. Another keeper when final

Comment

Working...
                              X