X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Egitim [Final has been released]

Name: DM-Egitim

Version: Release Client 1
    Compatibility: v2.0 (no Titan assets used)

Description: The map is based on a training area inspired by games like R6: Raven Shield and SWAT. There are a few industrial sections, but most of the map is more of an urban theme (set indoors).

Credits (so far): Myself, Epic (most of the game assets), Luv_Studd (Alpha Feedback), TheAgent (Alpha Feedback), Sebastien_NOVA (Alpha Feedback), Lord_Porksword (Alpha Feedback), Stevelois (Tutorial), CGtextures.com (base textures). I will add more in the final ReadMe file.

Homepage: Odedge.com
    Download:

Comments:This map is the result of a thread I created regarding DM game play. The three main elements I wanted to focus on was flow, z-axis fighting, & risk vs reward (in this order).

My main goal was to make a map that was fun to play, even if the rest of the map sucked. Second, I wanted to practice lighting. Everything else was designed to support the game play.

This map is now in the Final section.

Change since Beta version 2
    1. Added music (stock music, but not dynamic), story, and preview picture.
    2. Added new meshes near thigh armor.
    3. Tweaked the light cone shapes.
    4. Tweaked the bot pathing, while they don't always use certain routes, they can. They now use a few extra routes then in the previous version.
    5. Finished adding blocking volumes.
    6. Reduced the light brightness for the blue lights.
    7. Tweak fog color and post processing volumes a bit.

Changes since in Beta version 1
    1. Reworked lighting. There are now specific shadows on a few ceilings in addition to a better contrast between lit and shadow areas. I also enabled light maps on a lot of meshes to help with shadows on them.
    2. Reworked some static mesh placement. Tweaked the thigh pad area, removed so assorted meshes here and there.
    3. Moved location for the shock rifle, helmet armor, and chest armor (also added a mesh in this room to add another route).
    4. Added a lot more blocking volumes to reduce getting caught on a mesh or falling into a gap. This is aspect of the map is essentially finished, except a few small areas.
    5. Tried my best to make the plywood look a bit more worn and aged.
    6. Changed the sky dome and outdoor lighting to a night setting.

Screenshots: These are pics of the final version

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-egitim_pic_1.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-egitim_pic_2.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-egitim_pic_3.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-egitim_pic_4.jpg[/shot]

Just played,
    First, I will not say again how I like the gameplay on it, you already know

I have just few suggestions regarding the visual aspect :

First stuff I don't like is your material with colored stripes, good idea to indicate the weapon placement to the player but, on some place the color sheme result looks humm... odd :
    [shot]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7894/screenshot00093.jpg[/shot]
    (the purple stripe+the green stripe+ the redish border+the yellow-greenish main light=weird IMO)

As for the lighting, it's nice but need more works IMO. I think some places need a bit more contrast or more shadow, especially on my prefered room (ok, it's not really clear on this pic but take a look in game, this place need more shadow to increase the atmosphere on it):
    [shot]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5999/screenshot00096.jpg[/shot]

As for the meshing works, I can imagine the time you have past on it, but I have been the feeling it's not always coherent or fitted to the map on some place (give the feeling sometime you have just try to put some stuff here and there...)

Other place are really well made and looks more "solid", like the flak or the tigpad corridor :
    [shot]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4515/screenshot00095q.jpg[/shot]

Otherwise I like the subttle fog all around the map and generally the atmosphere on it

Oh and don't forget to put a blocking volume here :
    [shot]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8914/screenshot00097s.jpg[/shot]

I was blocking several time between the lift and the upper platform

I hope my honest comments will help you to increase the quality of your map m8

Keep it up the good work !

Comment

Nice job on the map!
      With the texturing and meshing now I didn't recongnise some of the rooms from the last version which was a good suprise!
      As Nova said the game play is tops with that choice layout!

I liked the meshing and material use myself. They complimented each other quite well and the rooms looked natural to me. Game me a feeling of stalwart for some reason.

As with Nova's comments the lighting is good but I would like to see darker shadows. I'd say lower the 'general ambient light' to make the 'mesh source' light sources stand out more.

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
        First stuff I don't like is your material with colored stripes, good idea to indicate the weapon placement to the player but, on some place the color sheme result looks humm... odd
        Do you not like the cement texture or the stripe texture? I had to do the best with what I got/know, so I took a stock material and adjusted it to the best of my ability.

I know you're not a big fan of how I have my stripes. They need to be visible, which is why they are in the middle of the wall. The colors are actually sampled from the weapon's texture (or matching ammo). This stripe was used in a map called (MP) Streets and I have always wanted to use it. I know it's not your typical Unreal visual style, but I that's not my goal with this map.

As for the lighting, it's nice but need more works IMO. I think some places need a bit more contrast or more shadow, especially on my prefered room (ok, it's not really clear on this pic but take a look in game, this place need more shadow to increase the atmosphere on it):
        I agree with you. I have already lowered the map resolution to 8.0 on the BSP surfaces that should cast a nice shadow. I know I should be careful not to go too low, but how low is too low. I did set unseen surfaces to accept lights and certain meshes not to cast shadows (wall panel, trim, etc) to help with optimizing the map

As for the meshing works, I can imagine the time you have past on it, but I have been the feeling it's not always coherent or fitted to the map on some place (give the feeling sometime you have just try to put some stuff here and there...)
        Ohh how wise you are my friend. Most of my meshing experience has been for realistic maps, so doing something like this is a stretch for me. I wanted each "industrial" area to been different so you can recognize it. That is also why I am using the different colored stripes as most of the "urban" areas have a similar style to it.

While I agree with you, I think this is something I need to learn over time and with more practice. The meshing won't "make or break" the map (hopefully), so unless there is something very specific or something that messes up game play, this is the best I got right now.

Other place are really well made and looks more "solid", like the flak or the tigpad corridor :
        Some areas I think I was in a "more creative mood" than others.

Otherwise I like the subttle fog all around the map and generally the atmosphere on it
        Reminds me of a map called DM-Woodrun?

Oh and don't forget to put a blocking volume here :

I was blocking several time between the lift and the upper platform
        There is already a blocking volume to prevent you from going past there lift and into that machine thing. There is also a dynamic blocking volume attach to the lift so you can't get stuck under it. I will check the alignment though. I believe the engine will make a lift go back down if the player collides with a blocking volume, is this correct?

I hope my honest comments will help you to increase the quality of your map m8
        Yes they will and thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Lord_PorkSword View Post
        As Nova said the game play is tops with that choice layout!
        Thanks for these kind words as this is the most important part of the map for me.

I liked the meshing and material use myself. They complimented each other quite well and the rooms looked natural to me. Game me a feeling of stalwart for some reason.
        I see what you mean as Starwalt has that sort of "present day Earth" feel to it. I wanted to make this map feel "surreal" to our current world rather than "unreal". Hopefully, I will get to a map that makes me stretch my imagination more.

As with Nova's comments the lighting is good but I would like to see darker shadows. I'd say lower the 'general ambient light' to make the 'mesh source' light sources stand out more.
        Will check this out. Currently the skylight is set to "0.100000" and it's using a relative "neutral" color.

Thanks to you two for your comments. I will add them to the new "To Do Lists".

Comment

Ha ha, my preferred Odedge as release is beta at last

I receive your PM & will try it out.

****, I'm late, many dudes have already give you great feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
            ****, I'm late, many dudes have already give you great feedback
            What do you mean, it's never too late to complain, I mean beta test a map. Heck I technically beta test "Final" maps all the time.

Comment

LOL

I only mean that I'm the late guy in the bunch since Seb & Lord have already comments.

I'll try it & comments, don't worry

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                Do you not like the cement texture or the stripe texture? ...I know you're not a big fan of how I have my stripes.
                It's more the color and the stripes than the texture itself.
                I remember some kind of same texture in Swat4, and I never find a good way to use it because visually, this stripe in midle of the wall is dificult to fit with the other texture close to it, so I never use that kind of texture, but it's just a question of taste

I agree with you. I have already lowered the map resolution to 8.0 on the BSP surfaces that should cast a nice shadow.
                Good, and try to low the brigthness of certain light on this place to increase the contrast.

While I agree with you, I think this is something I need to learn over time and with more practice. The meshing won't "make or break" the map (hopefully), so unless there is something very specific or something that messes up game play, this is the best I got right now.
                Probably yes, anyway it's just a feeling I have, some of your meshing looks not homogenous IMO.

Reminds me of a map called DM-Woodrun?
                Totally, I have on some place the same feeling that on my map !

There is already a blocking volume to prevent you from going past there lift and into that machine thing. There is also a dynamic blocking volume attach to the lift so you can't get stuck under it. I will check the alignment though. I believe the engine will make a lift go back down if the player collides with a blocking volume, is this correct?
                Depending the setting of your lift but it can yes.
                But my experience on your map is I was blocking between the lift and the platform, and the lift was stopped, so check your option to be sure you have set to something like "return if encroach".

Comment

I agree with sebastien about the treatment lights and shadows isnt clear enought where is every sourcelight come from and their respective directional lights from their ( and every ) source light, take your time in processing dont make thing in a hurry.

Overall its remind by the layout and archi to some ut2k4 map due simplicity in the use of meshes ( overall is very correct nothing appear odd or out of place in visual desing, nothing new, stock meshes, but is very valid and ok). Keep mapping,

Comment

Hey my preferred Odedge

I play it & reading the previous posts, I have nothing to add.

I didn't have any problem while playing.

Briefly, I like the layout & item placements (weapon, ammo, health & powerup). What I just mention are **** solid & since the layout is very big it will fit for a large audience, like 20 - 32 players.

About the visuals, well... I notice that the theme is not constant from area to area which is the downside for me. Before playing, I got different impression going to point "a" to point "b" which I shouldn't. It's maybe only me so...

I really don't like these (a personal choice anyway) but those wood walls / plank don't fit IMO.

[screenshot]http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6373/screenshot00003c.jpg[/screenshot]

I don't doubt that it will be a very popular, it's very well conceive. Only downside for me are the visuals (it's not the map but the look of some of the stock assets that I really don't like) but you that I'm a graphic freak so don't bother

Great potential there

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                      I would appreciate a few screen shots of the places or maybe even a particular mesh that doesn't "fit". While I agree with you, it's hard for me to know what makes you get that feeling that things aren't coherent.

Originally posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
                      I agree with sebastien about the treatment lights and shadows isnt clear enought where is every sourcelight come from and their respective directional lights from their ( and every ) source light, take your time in processing dont make thing in a hurry.
                      I do agree with both of you and while this may sound defensive, I have taken my time with the lighting. But what's more important is knowing how to make the lighting look good. I already think this is my best work with lighting, but it can be better. The hard part is how to do it.

I always intended to have some nicer shadows, but can't really figure out why they aren't casting. It could be the lightmap resolution or the "treatment" lights washing them out. Will play around with them and thanks for your feedback.

Overall its remind by the layout and archi to some ut2k4 map due simplicity in the use of meshes ( overall is very correct nothing appear odd or out of place in visual desing, nothing new, stock meshes, but is very valid and ok). Keep mapping,
                      I agree. I wanted both of them to be more on the simple side as this map is suppose to reflect a "training" map in games like R6: Raven Shield and SWAT. But truthfully, this is what I am used to building (as I have made a few maps for R6: RVS). I would like to be able to learn how to make more interesting architecture as well as better mesh work.

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      Hey my preferred Odedge
                      How many Odedges do you know?

Briefly, I like the layout & item placements (weapon, ammo, health & powerup). What I just mention are **** solid & since the layout is very big it will fit for a large audience, like 20 - 32 players.
                      Thanks and do you really think it would handle that many players? I usually play against 7-8 bots and the action varies as bots tend to want to bunch up. I was going to put the player count at 6-12.

About the visuals, well... I notice that the theme is not constant from area to area which is the downside for me. Before playing, I got different impression going to point "a" to point "b" which I shouldn't. It's maybe only me so...
                      It's not just you, it's me, you, Sebastien, and others (I presume). I admit that for some areas, I just went with what "hit me". I tried to use the same meshes, but in a different way when I could (flashing lights on the concrete barrier, for example).

Meshing a map is my least favorite part of the process. If you add the fact that I am not always in a "creative" mood and am not used to making maps that are "unreal", you get what you get with this map. I am not trying to make excuses, just to give you a "why".

With that, as I asked Seb, could you give me a few places or individual meshes that "don't fit"?

I really don't like these (a personal choice anyway) but those wood walls / plank don't fit IMO.
                      You don't like my plywood and Seb doesn't like my painted stripes, what am I suppose to do with you guys! hehehe. Both are elements from the previously mentioned games and thus I will keep them in there for my sake more than anyone else. As long as it doesn't prevent you from playing the map, I have to make that executive decision.

I don't doubt that it will be a very popular, it's very well conceive. Only downside for me are the visuals (it's not the map but the look of some of the stock assets that I really don't like) but you that I'm a graphic freak so don't bother
                      I will give you the map with no meshes or materials in it and you can show me how it's done. I do agree you are a "graphic freak" and you have the eye for it, so I respect your insight. I am an audio freak which is why there has to be proper foot step sounds on materials/meshes.

I also realize that I "use" quote marks too much. *Sigh*

Comment

Hey m8. Nice job on layout and item placement.
                        I do see you used a lot of spotlights, which is cool, but none have the inner cone angle set. I played with a few of them and the difference is maybe what your looking for with your lighting. This would probably let you remove some pointlights too.

I think the meshes that apparently dont fit ( although i didnt know mappers had a dress code) are the panels you have used as wall pads. I think they are from the LT_Bridge pack.

The issue i had i fixed, was two normalmaps missing. So i added what looked right..

Comment

**** i just discovered this map !
                          DL now.....first point....fast link to DL...héhé...kewl

Comment

How many Odedges do you know?
                            LOL, your the ONLY one, still I have to say it

Thanks and do you really think it would handle that many players? I usually play against 7-8 bots and the action varies as bots tend to want to bunch up. I was going to put the player count at 6-12.
                            Well, I did load the level with 10 players but I had to add 10 to bring more action. I'm far from a talented player but i was confortable with 20 players. Less then that, I was searching my opponents in TDM.

It's not just you, it's me, you, Sebastien, and others (I presume). I admit that for some areas, I just went with what "hit me". I tried to use the same meshes, but in a different way when I could (flashing lights on the concrete barrier, for example). Meshing a map is my least favorite part of the process. If you add the fact that I am not always in a "creative" mood and am not used to making maps that are "unreal", you get what you get with this map. I am not trying to make excuses, just to give you a "why".
                            I understand you well my friend. I have the same problem, having a hard time to mesh a map I do as you do & be reassured that it can take me 1 full week to be satisfied a tiny room making plenty of changes before calling it "done". The small vest room in Nano is a perfect example. 7 days to figure out how I like it, so boring… but anyway, I guess everyone feel like that at a certain point.

With that, as I asked Seb, could you give me a few places or individual meshes that "don't fit"?
                            Mmm… the first one I can say are the vehicle ramps (pics 1-3-4), second, the wood walls/plank here & there (the one I mention but you don't intent to chenge them so you can forget it).

You don't like my plywood and Seb doesn't like my painted stripes, what am I suppose to do with you guys! hehehe. Both are elements from the previously mentioned games and thus I will keep them in there for my sake more than anyone else. As long as it doesn't prevent you from playing the map, I have to make that executive decision.
                            LOL, well, I mention what I don't like. Still, since you intent to keep them, then play with the material to add some nice definition. A lot of stock assets look low polys & pixelize BUT since the raw textures are available, playing the materials, you will end up with much nicer material if you take the time to play with it. These materials loose some points because of lack of sharpness, details & colors. If I could do it with my maps, you can do it to. I wasn't satisfied with the look of the stock assets & if you compare them in station12 (like monitors screens) with the stock one you will see what i mean. Just replace my maerial with the stock one & compare the monitor side by side. I does take a long time before having the specific look your searching for but at least, it would look much nicer.

I will give you the map with no meshes or materials in it and you can show me how it's done. I do agree you are a "graphic freak" and you have the eye for it, so I respect your insight. I am an audio freak which is why there has to be proper foot step sounds on materials/meshes.
                            Did I offend you here ? You have nothing to learn from meshing from me. I didn't bother with sounds at this stage, that's why I didn't mention it but I'm sure you will do what it is convenient

Comment

yo mate

just played yer baby with 16 bots and it was really fun

some ideas:

i dont like that kind of traps, ok u can jump out of it but a blocking volume can really fludify the moove and keep the speed up:

here in theses two places i get stuck:

about the general look:

the map look old and out of ages (corrosion and co^^) and the wood look so fresh and new
                              ok u can tell me that it was to replace parts that was too damaged, too much contrast and "fake " look imho:

and here on last one i cant say what i watchld wood or metal with corrosion ?

i m doing a second post cauz i ve too many picts

Comment

Working...
                              X