• Show
Clear All

DM-Slime][ RC [PICS-DOWNLOAD]

Final release is out:
    click here!!

any idea about how improving this map?

Comment

Originally posted by dosse View Post
      Screenshot: I couldn't make any screenshot because...
      F9 for screenshots.

Comment

it just opens the console... or make fraps shot one... as i mentioned, it keeps shooting darks one... i'm looking for another program, btw, did you like the map?

Comment

its called print screen top right of your keyboard it gets me good pictures .As for your map it looks awesome but from what i saw everything is tightly squeezed at the bottom of the map with the barrels and boxes.

Comment

any idea about how improving this map?
            I would get rid of the railings on the ramps.
            They feel too constricting. When you're trying to escape from an enemy it makes it more difficult because you can't just jump off the side.
            Just a personal preference though.

Comment

beta 2 is almost completed! it has a new room, a new acid material, less railings, a screenshot in the map browser and improved fps (I gained about a lot fps on my 9800gx2, now i get 150-300 fps instead of the 40-80 fps of the beta 1)

Comment

Originally posted by airbusterv2 View Post
                its called print screen top right of your keyboard it gets me good pictures .As for your map it looks awesome but from what i saw everything is tightly squeezed at the bottom of the map with the barrels and boxes.
                what do you mean by squeezed?

Comment

I'm uploading the beta 2 right now, should be on in 20 minutes or so...

Comment

noooooo! i've uploaded the wrong version of the beta 2... reuploading now... ****!

Comment

Beta 2 is out! enjoy!!

Comment

so...has anyone played this map?

Comment

so...has anyone played this map?
                          Trying it out right after dl finishes. Do not worry almost nobody ever gives feedback here. Then everybody complains when you release map in full release part of forum. So keep mapping do not mind lazy bums around here.

Edit:
                          To excuse tose lazy bums: to give feedback you need to be either good player that knows about game flow or mapper that can point some technicall stuff. Average joe knows only if he/she likes map or not, they usually do not bother to think why.

I will write here things that I would change:

- that 2 additive+substractive brushes that use half of unreal space, remove them, they are totally unnecesary and just make map bigger (lightmap for CSG) and make building times longer. Put there plane mesh from simple meshes , just change material and scale it up
                          - you overuse LT walkway mesh, I know it is tempting but everybody overuses it, so avoid that mesh family at all costs. Use some trims from LT_trim add CSG floor and your map will look much better. OR at least change material on those walkways to one better looking, there are 4 material versions and standard one is worst.
                          - you have eye for visuals, a bit more practice and your maps can be really good, I liked that window with yellow rays, in t hat room you can cut some cracks in roof and add same kind of visuals, would make room even more atmospheric, just do not overuse.
                          - this map suffers RCR syndrome, cut more holes between rooms, add one more floor, forget about rooms, just cut space. I know it is hard at first we all subconsciously think about rooms and corridors, that kind of layout is bad for DM map. And those doors they hide what is on other side, you just open them and either kill opponent there or get killed. Download CBP mappack or HOLP look at game flow there and how space for playing is made there. OR any retail quake map will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                            Trying it out right after dl finishes. Do not worry almost nobody ever gives feedback here. Then everybody complains when you release map in full release part of forum. So keep mapping do not mind lazy bums around here.

Edit:
                            To excuse tose lazy bums: to give feedback you need to be either good player that knows about game flow or mapper that can point some technicall stuff. Average joe knows only if he/she likes map or not, they usually do not bother to think why.

I will write here things that I would change:

- that 2 additive+substractive brushes that use half of unreal space, remove them, they are totally unnecesary and just make map bigger (lightmap for CSG) and make building times longer. Put there plane mesh from simple meshes , just change material and scale it up
                            - you overuse LT walkway mesh, I know it is tempting but everybody overuses it, so avoid that mesh family at all costs. Use some trims from LT_trim add CSG floor and your map will look much better. OR at least change material on those walkways to one better looking, there are 4 material versions and standard one is worst.
                            - you have eye for visuals, a bit more practice and your maps can be really good, I liked that window with yellow rays, in t hat room you can cut some cracks in roof and add same kind of visuals, would make room even more atmospheric, just do not overuse.
                            - this map suffers RCR syndrome, cut more holes between rooms, add one more floor, forget about rooms, just cut space. I know it is hard at first we all subconsciously think about rooms and corridors, that kind of layout is bad for DM map. And those doors they hide what is on other side, you just open them and either kill opponent there or get killed. Download CBP mappack or HOLP look at game flow there and how space for playing is made there. OR any retail quake map will do.
                            Thanks for your comment! i'm sorry for the layout, but at the moment, i don't think that i'll make more holes in the walls because there's a lot of garbage hidden behind them XD
                            About your other suggestions, i'll try to apply them into the beta 3 or into the final release.
                            p.s. do you want to help me making a second, lower floor?

Comment

Making one more floor without opening more ways to shoot or walk will not work well. I was thinking more about letting players go on surface that is either roof of some low building or ground level surrounded by high skyscrapers. You need to improve gameflow here, at least add one not so narrow corridor around level that connects all dead ends. Dead ends are danegrous in DM and should be used for powerups (for your map size max one powerup).

TBH if i was you, I would make some CSG only layout next to this map that is similar to it, then I would improve it until i like to play that map, then just move best visuals to new layout. Because you have really nice spots there, with layout that does not match level of visuals at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X