• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Eggshell Beta Two [RELEASED, link in thread]

Name: DM-Eggshell_Beta2
    Version: Beta 2
    Compatibility: Unreal Tournament 3, Titan support
    Description:
    Small-Medium Deathmatch map. Supports 6-10 players. There's a variety of close-combat areas, more open areas, z-axis fighting, and pretty views. Being the first beta, I don't have a little story or anything. Just give it a go, and tell me what you think!

Comments:
    Hey there. This is my first map since UT2004. I took about two years off when I started school and had some free time so I picked mapping up again recently. This is what I've been working on. To be honest I'm not a big fan of UT3's "grunge" look, so I tried to go for a more vibrant color palette.

Beta two. All fixes are in the readme. To summarize, I added two more weapons. A sniper rifle, (in the perch in screenshot 4) and another minigun. As you can see in screenshot 5 (at the bottom of the post) I added a little shortcut jump from the bio platform to the hallway. and the added minigun is visible too (well, the weaponbase is ). I decorated some more and I think this is pretty near-final. There is an empty wall or two but I think this is a theme in which such a thing can work. The filesize doubled with this version, most likely due to a couple more lightmaps. I haven't gone through any optimization yet, so this filesize should come down. Also performance should get better in the final version, although for me it was chuggin' along just right without any optimization.
    Let me know what you think about the map.

Screenshot: Credits: Me, Epic, Hourences has some great tutorials.
    Homepage: My webpage
    Download:

Map is complete.
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=26342280

greetings!
    I tested map on my server it looks great. Nice corridor leading nowhere hehe.
    Just fix the config filename and the contents:

Code:
    [DM-Eggshell_Beta1 UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
    MapName=DM-Eggshell_Beta1
    FriendlyName=Eggshell Beta1
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:UI_FrontEnd_Art.GameTypes.DeathMatch>
    Description=Beta

Happy mapping!

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed the inside of the ini file and correctly named it from Eggshel to Eggshell

And haha I'll try to remember to block off the corridor to nowhere next version

Thanks again

Comment

The visuals look great. Nice use of BSP.

Comment

I like the look of this.
          Will have to check this one out!
          Reminds me of TombRaider.

Comment

you know, keep that corridor, just add some visible obstruction at the end. Might be a nice place to put a powerup...

Comment

Saw some pics in the other thread. I'll give it a try a bit later. I comments if I found something that hasn't been report

Comment

I've got 2 thoughts on this map. Does it need more meshes or is is good as it is.....can't decide..
                One thing is for sure..I very much like this map!
                Nice work on it. Nice clean visuals with quite a fun layout!

Regarding that corridor.. I like the look of it and think it should stay. My suggestion is has something like tree roots growning down from above to stop players from reaching the end.

Comment

Thanks for trying it out, everyone

Originally posted by Lord_PorkSword View Post
                  I've got 2 thoughts on this map. Does it need more meshes or is is good as it is.....can't decide..
                  This has bothered me as well. There are still a few areas that need work. Like in the area near the ocean, I carved out the big stone block and made it into a little sniper perch. I'm also just adding some foliage to barren areas. I'm going to have to go back and re-uv the bio-rifle platform, it looks a little nasty. Overall I think I'm going to keep the meshes on the low side. "BSP work" was mentioned... although all of the broken wall pieces are meshes. I really like the stone bricks. With just a right-triangle shaped wall, an "E" shaped wall, and a single stone mesh, I've created all the variations currently present in the map... definitely taught me how useful modular meshes are!

And my intentions with the corridor were always to have it there, just blocked off and threw in some boards/vines last night to block it off without completely covering the "light at the end of the tunnel". It's like you read my mind, lord_porksword!

Thanks again for the comments! As stated above I added a little sniper perch near the ocean, and I cleared out the brush area under the bridge on the end and will throw a powerup down there. I'll have another version up soon. I'd like to enter this into Phase 3 of the msuc, so I'm planning on having this done by then. we'll see how it goes

Comment

I wanted to say that it's a cute map. I presume it will be a nice one when you will apply all the things you mention. I don't think you must add meshes to fill up the map because I found it convenient to see these wide open space filled with only trees & brick debris, etc.

My comments are extremely limited because I'm not able to play some maps in-game. It started to do that since 1 week so I must play withing the editor & even then 50% of the maps give me a runtime error & I'm returning to the desktop ! It's an isolated prob so don't bother with that.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      My comments are extremely limited because I'm not able to play some maps in-game. It started to do that since 1 week so I must play withing the editor & even then 50% of the maps give me a runtime error & I'm returning to the desktop ! It's an isolated prob so don't bother with that.
                      Sorry to hear that. Have you looked into the problem at all? It definitely sounds like it has to do with the map itself. And like you said, I'm not that worried about it unless it's a widespread problem, but if you would like to know anything about how the map was made, etc I'd be more than happy to help you and maybe we can solve the problem once and for all

Comment

Well, I tried several things this week which will be to long to describe here & the final solution will be to reinstall my windows XP. Which I don't have the time to do at the moment. But THX so far to propose your help

As I said, don't bother with that. because it append with 50% of the map. Public & private maps. Even the editor give me some strange behavior while editing materials. I just wanted to post to let you know that even if I can't play the map, it's a good start

Comment

Thanks for the compliments I'm still adding in some more things but it's really coming together now. And the name Eggshell has really grown on me, I'm probably gonna keep it. I'll have another version up soon.

Comment

Uploaded Beta 2. Details in the first post. A few gameplay changes here and there, I'd appreciate any criticism

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                              Uploaded Beta 2. Details in the first post. A few gameplay changes here and there, I'd appreciate any criticism
                              I tried out beta 1 and had some comments, but wanted to give the map a real good look before posting in the thread. Depending on when you plan to release this as a final, I will test it out with in a week as I am trying to finish my map for a beta release.

Comment

Working...
                              X