X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisingre's Skies

Name: Skydome Textures
    Version: 1, I suppose.
    Compatibility: Usable with just about any skydome anywhere with a bit of work.
    Description: Free skies, for anybody's map.
    Comments: It's about time I gave you guys back something. I just figured out how to make skydome textures, and it's crazy easy, so I'll be putting up more here soonish. I'm taking requests, too. You can see my other work (almost all in the program I'm using for my skies) at me deviantart, below. I suppose linking to a DeviantArt isn't quite kosher, but all of the images are already there...
    Screenshot:
    [screenshot]http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/099/a/8/Toxic_Panorama_by_brisingre.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/099/9/e/Simple_Sky_Panorama_by_brisingre.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://fc45.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/100/f/d/Gorgeous_F_cking_Sunset_by_brisingre.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs44/i/2009/120/1/b/Cloudy_by_brisingre.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs44/i/2009/120/6/c/Space_Clouds_by_brisingre.jpg[/screenshot]
    Credits: Myself, Epic, Planetside for Terragen, ATI for my cubemap program, whoever wrote HDRShop for my cubemap to panorama conversion, some bloke on the Source development wiki for my skybox script, the GIMP people, and the Panotools team. (Wow, that's a lot of tools I used...)
    Homepage: For these purposes, http://brisingre.deviantart.com/
    Download: Just click through the screenshot and Save Image As. Do I need to fill up all these fields? I remember it being in the rules, but it feels daft for some of them...

Really nice! Thx for sharing

Comment

It's always nice when someone releases assets to the community. Many Thanks.

BTW, a tutorial on making them would be cool, too.

Comment

Request: I want to build a few space maps and the default "stars" sucks. Some nice space "skydomes".

More specifically not just "stars", but with colorful clouds of gas, nebulae, etc baked into the "sky". See: jumpgate evolution or black prophecy for modern space themed games with the kind of skydomes I'm talking about (they're typically color themed, meaning that in a given area, the gas clouds tend to be blue or red, etc, not a random collection of colors).

IMO, there's now a decent amount of regular skies out there, but pretty much nothing to work with in terms of "space" themed stuff other than the default stars background. Help!

Comment

Edited first post to add a sunset. Space clouds are tricky, but I think I can do something for you.

Here's your tutorial.

1. Create a sky in Terragen. This tutorial is for Terragen 1, but Terragen 2 should be usable if you want to figure it out. [Link] This is art. It's not a hard program to learn to use, but it's not easy either. There are no end of good tutorials for it, I used some of them and taught myself a lot. I can't explain exactly how to do it here.
          2. Set the image size to 960 by 960. This is the largest square that the non-licensed version will let you render. Make sure you have the land turned off, obviously.
          3. Save this as skybox.tgs.txt.
          Code:
          initanim "C:\skyrender", 1

;_ft
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 0
          CamP 0
          CamB 0
          frend

;_lf
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 90
          CamP 0
          CamB 0
          frend

;_up
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 270
          CamP 90
          CamB 0
          frend

;_bk
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 180
          CamP 0
          CamB 0
          frend

;_rt
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 270
          CamP 0
          CamB 0
          frend

;_dn
          Zoom 1.0
          CamH 270
          CamP -90
          CamB 0
          frend
          4. In terragen, go to Terragen (in the filemenu bar) and Execute Script. Choose this script and wait. 3D skies can take a long time to render. When it's done, you should have six numbered images in your root drive, whatever that is. (It's almost certainly C:\. If it's not, you can probably find it.) Move these images somewhere useful.
          5. Resize these images to 1024 by 1024. It comes out a bit cleaner. You can ignore the all-black one.
          6. At this point, I'll just point you to the tutorial I'm following. I can't possibly explain this better than this bloke does. [Link]
          7. I have a couple of tips for anyone following this tutorial.
          -ATI Cubemapgen seems not to generate it's highest-res image if "generate mipchain" isn't checked. Just delete all of the extra mipmaps.
          -Put in the Y+ (top) face first, so that you can instantly tell if they are lined up.
          -Check the 'skybox' box to get a better idea of what it looks like.
          - I believe the face orders are as follows:
          X+=skyrender0004
          X-=skyrender0001
          Y+=skyrender0003
          Y-=skyrender0006
          Z+=skyrender0005
          Z-=skyrender0002
          - I'm using a 1 pixel clone brush from a pixel within one or two of the line at 800% zoom to remove the black arcs from the panoramization.
          8. If you want to do any manual editing of this image, I would check out Panotools PEditor. [Link] It's a bit awkward, but it's better than nothing. Do any editing with this program BEFORE you crop your image, otherwise all hell will break loose. PEditor likes full-dome panoramas UnrealED likes half-domes. Of course, you could always add a lower half that's all black just to edit it in PEditor, then crop it again...

EDIT:

I'm done the renders for a first-attempt space sky. I'll have the skydome (in this case, skysphere) online Monday. It's a very 'soft' sky, and it's just got clouds, no stars. It'll be a passable base for a skydome, but this one won't look great if you just connect it to emissive and leave it there. You'll really need to do some material/shader work, add some stars, some glow, some shimmer, maybe a bit of hue shifting over time. If you want, I'll do a black-and white version too, make it a bit easier on you.

Comment

Bumping my own thread, sorry. I've added two new skies. For uncompressed versions of them, check out the deviantart link and then click download. I haven't put up an uncompressed Simple yet, because it doesn't seem to be wanted, but I will if it is.

Comment

Working...
            X