Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VCTF-NavPoint57 [RC2][PICS](update 19 Aug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-NavPoint57 [RC2][PICS](update 19 Aug)

Name: VCTF-NavPoint57

Version: Release Candidate 2

Compatibility: Any UT3 I believe.

Game description: In the early years of space exploration, humans were able to perform relatively short space jumps. A journey to a nearby star could take several such jumps. To help navigating through empty space special navigation boys were constructed. Later on most NavPoints - as they were called - were dissasembled, but NavPoint 57 was taken over by Liandri for its Tournament excibitions. Nowadays the NavPoint's purpose remains soley to the Tournament. Located far from any trade routes or planets this station has no military significance. Roumour says it might be converted into a training facility but taking into account the difficulty of defending such outpost in case of outbreak of a conflict, it is unlikely to happen.

Description: Small map, but with several levels, dedicated for those who like a little bit more of vertical aiming. On the other hand, I hope it is not to complex for a newbe to learn the map and survive a while before being killed. Lots of escape routes available for the flagrunner, right from the beginning.

Changes from RC1:
    - Set cullDistance parameter for all smaller meshes to help your FPS
    - Corrected texture on the tube at the redeemer
    - Tube is now bigger and easier to fly through. You should no longer get stuck at the bottom.
    - Numerous static meshes are now lightmapped to reduce map size. Not much help in cooked version of this map - no idea why. (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=697471)
    - Added arrows throughout the map to help you navigate
    - Added some ambient sounds

Changes from beta1:
    - blue players now don't face the void when spawned anymore
    - more spawn positions
    - easier way out from the Redeemer level
    - added postprocess volumes, most noticeably when you fly/jump away from the space station
    - added more song cues
    - additional kargo on the +1 level
    - additional holes next to the flag -- initially easy escape route, but later it puts you on -1 level which is harder to get through
    - some effects and static meshes disabled on Low/Medium world detail settings to boost up your FPS
    - jumppads no longer floating

Screenshot:

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/26911371...oint57-RC2.rar

Awaiting your feedback!!

Well you can still play the uncooked version. If I am not mistaken, the difference is in map's size. Current compressed version (the download link) is less than 20MB.

Comment

i test the map and i have fps problems i think be cous of this http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sweet1.jpg

Comment

OK, I'll make sure to make it play smoother in that region.
        What else?

Comment

bots path is bad bots get lost many time
          and when i fall of the building it tak too long too die
          some pick float above the ground

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
            bots path is bad bots get lost many time
            I get lost why they get lost :P
            Seriously, bot navigation points are set throughout the level and it seems OK in the editor.
            and when i fall of the building it tak too long too die
            Because you can fly below the structure I cannot set kill zones to early. It is low grav environment outside which is probably prolonging your fall. In a way consider it a penality, but if you think it disrupts the gameplay to much I will increase gravity outside the structure to make it faster.

some pick float above the ground
            That is a side effect of using manual collision boxes instead of those provided with static meshes. I do it so to reduce unwanted collision and to make the play as fluent as possible with current geometry.
            Most annoying are the jumppads which are always reset when building paths and I have to realign them correcty after every path build!

Comment

Looks good to me, other than the jumppads floating, which isn't that big of a deal, I'm OCD so it kills me on my maps with them like that, but other than that I like it and think it will play good.

Comment

@Mr Kowaski: It is a great idea! I'll try it, thanks!

@Oldskool0482: What is OCD? Obsessive-compulsive disorder? :P
                But if you think it will play well, then my main goal is reached

Comment

Great map! I really like all the levels/layers it has. I can't wait to see the final version of this.

Oh yeah...

Some of the spawn points are so close to the edge that it's not uncommon for people to spawn (facing the wrong direction) and walk one step to their death.

Comment

Hey Lilium! I've been playing with you foreva :P

I'll take a look, will post on it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Kowaski
                      If you set the floating jump pads to be hidden during the game, and then put a static mesh version of the jump pad in its place, it won't pop up when you re-build because its just a mesh, and the real jump pad is hidden.
                      Also you can find the jump pad emitter and positon it over the static mesh and it looks like a real jump pad,
                      thats what i do when i have that problem.
                      If you want to see this in action, check out the jump pads in the bases in VCTF-GoldDigger_SE (in my sig). Same steps, different effect in mind.

Comment

After few-month pause I returned to mapping this and now updating the map to "Release Candidate" stage. I believe map is finished, but there still can be some strange bugs I simply didn't see. So, please test and complain!

Many thanks for your hint on how to deal with the floating jumppads!

Comment

Cool concept to the map. Some nice features and layout. The outside sides being so open compared to the inside is weird though...I was never really led to the inside for any reason, and flag escapes were easy because of some really broad spaces. The map could also stand to be brighter in many areas, since it's tough to see pretty often.

Comment

After some testing and playing on RaW servers we found some bugs and small issues that are now corrected!

Comment

Can u add an RC2, RC3 Etc etc on the end? This way I don't have to keep replacing the same file OVER and OVER...

Call your Final Version after you have squashed all the Bugs Navpoint57.ut3

Comment

Working...
                              X