No announcement yet.

[UPDATED 5/5/09] DM-Mardarth_Mines [PC][BETA 5][PICS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi, i have put your nice map in my server, but have an error about HU_MADXW packet

in local game it's all ok. i tried reup map another time and problem fixed but now i and another player have the same problem another time....

Comment

Yeah that package shouldn't be in it, i've fixed the pathing problems that Bl!tz mentioned, and ill delete that package now as well (its not needed).
      ill release a new version tonight. thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Ok i've finished Beta 3

•Fixed Mano Santo's problem caused by a package. (should be fixed, i cant test it so let me know)

•Fixed multiple pathing issues:
        -Stairs on main tower, beside tarydium pot.
        -Walk-way from main control room across too processing tower.
        -Stairs in the small computer room.
        -Roof of the computer room

•Changed collision in the elevator hallway on main tower.

•Removed a very small amount of unnecesary meshes.

Nothing to major.
        Let me know if every things ok.

Comment

nice update

.....oh u forgot to set collision on thoses....hm...grids(dunno how u name it ...oops^^)

Comment

****... I lost the B2 when I reinstall my system & I forgot to redownload the map after, sorry

Will try it out & let you know if I found something. You made great progress since B1

Comment

Okay, I've tried it and...

I can see the amount of work you put on the mesh work & layout is really **** nice

Still, I'm gonna be honest with you like with everybody else & I don't want to offend you in any manners. My comments won't be long but for the little I can write, it may help, or at least, I hope so.

I found a plethora of overlapping meshes & when I mention a "plethora" of something it can be extremely good OR extremely bad. In this case... it's bad. I don't do that often but today, I load the map in the editor instead of in-game. I started to look around & I do like the layout & the mesh work you done, it is really great. The audio aspect & atmosphere is also very well done.

But, when I begin to check your meshes work, ****, almost ALL of them aren't scale properly when you use more than 2 of them side by side. For example, at some place I can see 3 meshes to fill the spot, but 2 meshes would be fine. 1 in his full size & the other one a tiny bit longer, maybe 15-20%. That way, you use only 2 meshes instead of using 3 leaving them at there default scale values. It's lighter on the engine, you get a faster lighting build, smaller file size, etc. That mean that walkway, trims, walls, ceiling ALL around the map are loaded of overlapping meshes.

I didn't take to much pics because they will be to much of them. So I take some pics trying to show you the most obvious one but there is much more & you need to fool around, take your time & look every 2-3 meshes you put in place side by side, you will found some surprise.

Here is the archive. http://www.mediafire.com/?y9tnzuzwq1y The things to check are in the yellow circle. Some items are overlapping, others as been move & aren't where they supposed to be. Another blue circle in 1 pic is about lighting where you have a platform lit blue & all your source lights are yellowish-orange.

Also, the PP effects, specially the green one in the small room is to much, really to much & I don't even understand why you add that since there is no need at all. You already use some kind of smoke on top of the green toxic stuff, why add a PP volume all over the place and make the effect so abrupt & unnatural ?

The other PP effect that is a bit redish is better but again it look to much blurry.

The weapon / armor placement is also weird in some case, mostly the vest in a so much squeezed spot. I do understand that you want the armor to be in a risky spot, so then, why it's not in the container just beside it ? Another personal thing is that I really dislike 2 of the same items in DM maps (2 weapons, 2 armors, 2 powerups). There is always exception but I just wanna mention it since you put 2 vest.

I can continue but I'll stop here, you have at least some things to work more imho.

The thing is I really like the map. What it don't like it's the overuse of PP, the plethora of overlapping meshes and some of the item placement.

The effort you put in mesh work is also grandiose but since the lighting in general is very dark & almost neutral, nothing is really "popping out" & your hard mesh work isn't showing at all, this is really, really a shame

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the constructive feedback, i appreciate it.
                I havent acctualy looked at the pictures yet but i will when i get home.
                i understand that some of the meshes are overlaping because ive got like 9,000+ meshes and i didnt have the grid turned on so i postioned them a little of most times
                Also this is my first map so like, you know.
                I correct every mistake youve included in the image archive.

Im not sure what you mean about the post processing, what exactly is wrong?
                Yeah the area with the vest and redeemer is a bit pointless ill remove the vest from there,
                I had to include two of some weapons though because its such a big map you know.
                A few people have said its too dark, its very bright for me, at least on my monitor? TBH i dont think im going to totally redo all the lighting, but maybe ill try change some of it. its bright on my monitor so it will be hard to know when its just right for everyone else.
                Thanks very much for the feedback, ill definitly look at the meshes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Kowaski View Post
                  Thanks for the constructive feedback, i appreciate it.
                  I havent acctualy looked at the pictures yet but i will when i get home.
                  i understand that some of the meshes are overlaping because ive got like 9,000+ meshes and i didnt have the grid turned on so i postioned them a little of most times
                  Also this is my first map so like, you know.
                  I correct every mistake youve included in the image archive.
                  Your welcome dude

A little advice, first thing you must do is always work with the grid turned on. The 16-32-64 values are the most efficient. 1 to 8 will provide much more precision but it is not recommended to use them full time, only if you need to adjust something very precisely. There is exception but working with the grid turned off will can cause you some trouble. It is much better to work with the grid than not. I didn't know it was your first map but take your time to finish it and scale the meshes properly.

Im not sure what you mean about the post processing, what exactly is wrong?
                  When the player is traveling the map, the visuals effects from area to area must be fluid meaning that colors tones, the amount of blur / DOF & such must follow or else it hurt the eyes & make the player feel that something is wrong which make the level non consistent & less enjoyable. Don't forget that the more you crank up the blur, the more you lose the details & the sharpness which make the things in your level less detailed & remove the contrast between the assets which is the opposite of what you want taking into account all the mesh work you done. PP effects are there to add a level of finish & not to compensate from a lack of proper lighting & contrast. You must use them wisely & not overuse them. PP effects should be use for temporary effects, not permanently. Or if use permanently, set them so it hurt less the eyes.

Yeah the area with the vest and redeemer is a bit pointless ill remove the vest from there,
                  I had to include two of some weapons though because its such a big map you know.
                  A few people have said its too dark, its very bright for me, at least on my monitor?
                  Your map is big, I give you that, still, the more item you add (weapon, ammo, etc), the less the player need to move to collect the items, which bring down flow & gameplay & encourage camping, a thing you don't want. I didn't suggest others items placement because I didn't look really into that yet, I just notice the double vest. About the brightness in general, if it is bright for you, it's because you use the vivid or intense PP setting which boost brightness. These PP shouldn't exist from the start but anyway, it's there. The other important thing is to calibrate your monitor properly, which 95% of the population don't do. The pics you will look into the archive is the actual look of your map. My video settings are perfectly set & my monitor is also calibrated properly, my PP is set to default & the brightness to 5. Just to explain myself in reality, I'm a computer specialyst so these kind of basics computing things is a fraction of my day to day job.

TBH i dont think im going to totally redo all the lighting, but maybe ill try change some of it. its bright on my monitor so it will be hard to know when its just right for everyone else.
                  Thanks very much for the feedback, ill definitly look at the meshes.
                  I don't think you need to redo the lighting but adjust there settings & lower your PP settings to make some part of the map stand out. If you need something in particular, just ask

Comment

Updated: Beta 4
                    See first post for details.
                    -

Changed PP in some areas to be less obtrusive.

Changed map lighting.
                    -Increased overall brightness of the skylights
                    -Changed the "atmospheric lighting" i.e added more spot lights and directional lights to create a more realistic sun lit scene, and increase brightness.
                    -Added more lights aroung the map in general, to make the lighing more intresting, and to bring out detail better.

Removed 641 meshes (not noticeable dont worry) and done a general clean up mesh wise.
                    -Changed design of the teleporter room on mining tower (its now a teleporter balcony; more space and less meshes and has a nice view over to the garage yard)
                    -Changed other minor designs, primarily on mining tower.

Changed Layout on the mining tower, the elevator hallway by the storage halls now only connects to the storage hall and not back to the mining tower, but players can now jump from the elevator hall down to the generator tower and also from the mining tower down to the generator tower.

thats it i think.
                    -
                    This could be the final.

And Stevelois, i took most your advice in beta 4, so thanks, although im sure there is still alot of meshes scaled wrong etcl (its hard work checking and changing all :P )
                    But its better than before now, so thanks

Comment

You made a lot of improvements & it seem to be some huge changes.

641 meshes deleted is enormous !

I won't able to play the map this week but I'm happy I can help ya out dude

Cheers

Comment

New version: (mostly aesthetic changes)

>Changes From Beta 4
                        -Added 2 more directional lights, and lots more spotlights to simulate sunlight.
                        -Added volumetrics as rays of light from the sun
                        -Added more fog volumes for atmosphere
                        -Added lots of dim bounce lights
                        -Added meshes in some areas and delete meshes in other areas, you know just generally improving things i wasnt happy with.
                        -Added bot pathing in the garage yard so bots can get the redeemer
                        -Little bit Larger file size but i found i got better frame rates because i realised i had a few point lights set to dynamic by mistake, which are now fixed.
                        If you getting lower fps than with Beta 4 then post your outrage here.
                        Beta 5 (Final?):
                        [SCREENSHOT]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/M_A_D_X_W/mappp-1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
                        -
                        [SCREENSHOT]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/M_A_D_X_W/mappp2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
                        -
                        [SCREENSHOT]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/M_A_D_X_W/mappp3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
                        -
                        [SCREENSHOT]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/M_A_D_X_W/mappp4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Comment

wow....what a visual improvement on picts....impressive kick *** lighting
                          DL thx for the update

Comment

Thanks glad you like it, but if you downloaded im sorry but i uploaded the old version again :P
                            Ill have to upload the right one.

Comment

i m happy to hear that mate i was going crazy to tell you that i wasnt abble to see the changes in game...+ idid 2 fraps bench and result was hard to tell too(uggly drop downs)haha^^
                              .....DL again

Comment

Working...
                              X