• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-1on1-Paradox Final released [pics]

Name : DM-1on1-Paradox
    Version : Final done
    Compatibility : PC - patch 2.0 & Titan pack installed
    Description : Small arena under construction for man to man fair duel.
    Can works well for small DM against up to 10 bots/players.

Comments :
    This map is a remake of my first map on ut2k4 named DM-GoreHouse inspirate by the ut2k4 DM-Corrugation.
    I have tried to increase the mix (maybe the paradox is here...) between a tech new level and an old wood/crapy level in a same map.
    Originally not really destinate to be released I have finally decided to use it's symetrical and very simple layout to make a atmospheric duel map for ut3, anyway that's the intention.
    Thx to Bl!tz for give me some advises and supports and give me the desire to released this one

Screenshots :

[screenshot]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6241/screenshot00008.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8737/screenshot00009o.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8734/screenshot00118.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9716/1on1gorehouse004.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4171/1on1gorehouse005.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8837/screenshot00126.jpg[/screenshot]

Final here : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...4#post26123464

Hi cousin

Sorry to say that I deleted the last PM you send me with your news maps links... sorry

I totally forgot about the links when I delete the PM. ****, it's a sign I'm getting old !!!

I like the pics so far, only thing is the floor seem to be the same height & the material a bit repetitive ?

Comment

Don't worry Steve.
      The best is you try the last version directly, I will upload it on 1 hour and put public link here

And yes, it's repetitive and flat at the first sight, but think we don't have this feeling in game, but you will tell me

Comment

this is a pure kill level ! top gameplay in dm and duels...
        exactly what we need online ; enough place to use long shock riffles combos

damned !....this one and woodrun ! 2 in my top 10 in 3 weeks...thx mate

Comment

Finally play it

Long time I didn't play 1on1 & it play greatly.

I have mixed thoughts about it so I'll mention things that I'm not comfortable with :

- I like the layout but I found it a bit big for 1on1.
          - I like the fact that you have tights & open space but it make me feel that the open space are a bit to open. Maybe by the fact that there is not enough decos ?
          - At some point, I wanted to jump down on the lower level but with the jump pad in the middle, you have to be careful or else you rebound & that get annoying after a few attempt. I would tend to place the jump pads closer the walls so when your on the highest level, you land in the middle without bouncing back up.
          - There is not enough RL ammo on the higher level. I would tend to add 1 on each side.

Visually, the tiles on the second floor are to big imo. The flat floor is ok after all but it miss some different patterns imo.

Nothing to do with the map itself but the brick material on the first level are very ugly. I always found them awful in all levels (that is why it's not related to the map). There are other stock brick that look 100 times much better than those.

In all, it's a nice one Seb

Comment

I played a long round with the bots and are my thoughts... (should I become a poet?)

1. I like the look of the map overall. I guess there is a contrast between the two themes you go going there, but the map looks nice.

2. As far as the game play, well, you know what I like. This would be good for some casual/beginner players. I don't mind the symetrical style as much as the flatness.

3. It would be nice if the upper floor textures where broken up with some ground trim.

4. The wooden floors should have a wooden foot step sound, instead of the default one.

5. The sound that is coming from the very center of the map (near the top?), should have a wider activation radious. Right now, it's either playing or not, with no gradual volume change (at least not very "hearable" ).

6. A material you are using for some of your floor trims (DM-1on1-Paradox.skyline-walls2_Mat), uses a stock texture that has the energy physical material associated with it and it sounds a bit odd. It should sound like metal.

7. The trim (StaticMeshActor_293, just to give you a starting place, though there are more of them) you are using near the side jump pads has some z-fighting going on, though it's subtle.

8. It would be nice to add some blocking volumes along the walls with the big "X" on them.

9. There should be some trim at the top of the jump pads that are in the middle (one is near the RL weapon base).

10. The neon lights (StaticMeshActor_235) are not aligned with the angle of the stairs .

11. Lastly, you know I respect your works as a mapper and Kismet sequencer. But I would not play (for long) a map that had a great layout if every time I killed some one, I heard a "buzzer" type sound). Though I do like the Udamadge sequence.

Good luck finishing it.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
              - I like the layout but I found it a bit big for 1on1.
              -Yeah, a bit big it's true but on the same time is quick to make the all round imo, so...

- I like the fact that you have tights & open space but it make me feel that the open space are a bit to open. Maybe by the fact that there is not enough decos ?
              Originally posted by Odedge View Post
              I guess there is a contrast between the two themes you go going there
              Ok there is a concept here :
              The story of this areana is it's an old one who is under re-construction, so the second floor is rehabilited and the first one is still old and under construction (dunno if I'm clear lol) so I have try to Contrast the 2 levels, the fist very crapy and old looking, the second very polished and new.

- At some point, I wanted to jump down on the lower level but with the jump pad in the middle, you have to be careful or else you rebound & that get annoying after a few attempt. I would tend to place the jump pads closer the walls so when your on the highest level, you land in the middle without bouncing back up.
              -I understand but I don't know if I will put the jumpads more close the wall because in combat (on little DM with 8 bots) it's cool to trick the bot who is running behind you with jump down on the hole to elude his rocket fire for example and make a rebond on the jumpad precisly to counter-attack him

- There is not enough RL ammo on the higher level. I would tend to add 1 on each side.
              Actually, there is no RL ammo on the higher level, and it's intentional.
              Previously there were ammo for RL and FC and more health pack on this level but in game it's give more advantage to the player who "control" the second floor, he just have to camp on this level and wait the second player so I have though is was too unfair.
              So I have re-place all ammo and health in this direction, to force the both duel players to run all over the map to collect alls items.
              But we can have discution about that, I'm open

Visually, the tiles on the second floor are to big imo. The flat floor is ok after all but it miss some different patterns imo.
              3. It would be nice if the upper floor textures where broken up with some ground trim.
              I have try to reduce the size of the tile, but increase the repetitivly of the floor so I have decide to keep the size of it like that.
              But I have change a bit that point, with adding some metal grids on the floor

Nothing to do with the map itself but the brick material on the first level are very ugly. I always found them awful in all levels (that is why it's not related to the map). There are other stock brick that look 100 times much better than those.
              I love this crapy texture, very fitted to the collor sheme, my wood floor and the look I want giving too, but I will try with other one, to see if it's better...

4. The wooden floors should have a wooden foot step sound, instead of the default one.
              6. A material you are using for some of your floor trims (DM-1on1-Paradox.skyline-walls2_Mat), uses a stock texture that has the energy physical material associated with it and it sounds a bit odd. It should sound like metal.
              I just correct that points

5. The sound that is coming from the very center of the map (near the top?), should have a wider activation radious. Right now, it's either playing or not, with no gradual volume change (at least not very "hearable")
              Yeah I have notice that too, I have already tried to set that better without good result so far...

8. It would be nice to add some blocking volumes along the walls with the big "X" on them.
              There is already a collision on this X-structure...maybe you are stuck on the pillar between them, I will change that, ok.

9. There should be some trim at the top of the jump pads that are in the middle (one is near the RL weapon base).
              10. The neon lights (StaticMeshActor_235) are not aligned with the angle of the stairs .
              Think it's fix on my last version I'm working on

7. The trim (StaticMeshActor_293, just to give you a starting place, though there are more of them) you are using near the side jump pads has some z-fighting going on, though it's subtle.
              I really don't undersdand what you would say here, can you be more clear my friend ?

11. Lastly, I would not play (for long) a map that had a great layout if every time I killed some one, I heard a "buzzer" type sound).
              Oh ya, hum I love that buzzer on duel play, but I can understand i's boring you. Don't know if I will keep it on the map or not because not enough custom maps and mappers use custom sound to give more atmosphere of their maps, and think it's a miss...

Big thx to you guys, this comments are really appreciate

I working on and the final is soon...

Comment

Just played this - it gets a thumbs up from. Love the look of it, and it played well too.

Im with you on the custom sound - gives the map some originality. Makes a 1-on-1 actually feel like a sport where every point scored is greeted with that buzzer sound.

Comment

2. As far as the game play, well, you know what I like. This would be good for some casual/beginner players. I don't mind the symetrical style as much as the flatness.

Good luck finishing it.
                  that s funny i think exactly the opposite: it s way far more hard to fight on that kind of place than on a map where u can hide everywhere....

if u are not skilled on such a map (especially on ut3 with no shield gun) and if u re a "casual/beginner" player....online.....u re going to be asskicked

....and in 1 v 1 ,successfull maps have always a "empty" look i ll again refer to rankin , ironic or idoma.(they wasnt all built for 1 v 1....but rankin for example have break all records in played 1 v 1 maps on stats...even if it look empty and have "**** briks"on walls...lol...)

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                    -I really don't undersdand what you would say here, can you be more clear my friend ?
                    When you have two static meshes occupying the same space, they will flicker trying to fight each other on which one get's displayed (i.e. the term "z-fighting"). If you look at those meshes carefully, you will see this flickering effect. Like I said, it's not that noticeable, but something I look for when testing maps.

Oh ya, hum I love that buzzer on duel play, but I can understand i's boring you. Don't know if I will keep it on the map or not because not enough custom maps and mappers use custom sound to give more atmosphere of their maps, and think it's a miss...
                    My biggest gripe is the actual sound, it's a sound that would be used to torture you (hearing it over and over again). In addition, it doesn't really fit. I did hear the "holy sh@t" statement, and that works well (actully made me think what just happened!). I am all for custom content, as long as it fits the level.[/quote]

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
                    Im with you on the custom sound - gives the map some originality. Makes a 1-on-1 actually feel like a sport where every point scored is greeted with that buzzer sound.
                    There is a difference between having custom sounds and using them so they fit in a level. I wouldn't mind the buzzer sound if it didn't sound "annoying", like you did something wrong. It would had fit better in Seb's Tower map, as it feels like there is actually people watching it (i.e. it's an actual tournament)

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
                    that s funny i think exactly the opposite: it s way far more hard to fight on that kind of place than on a map where u can hide everywhere....
                    "Hiding" is part of the fight, though I wouldn't like to use that term. Otherwise you would just place players in a big empty room, but that will just come down to who can aim the quickest/acturately and press the button.

If I recall correctly, cliffyB stated that a level to needs to add to the core game play of the game. A empty room doesn't do that at all, it just allows the player to use the core game play mechanics. A level is suppose to give the player different ways of using the core game play.

....and in 1 v 1 ,successfull maps have always a "empty" look i ll again refer to rankin , ironic or idoma.(they wasnt all built for 1 v 1....but rankin for example have break all records in played 1 v 1 maps on stats...even if it look empty and have "**** briks"on walls...lol...)
                    I don't mind the "clean" look at all. But as Steve mentioned, I think the size and maybe the layout doesn't lend itself to experienced players playing 1on1, but rather the casual/beginner player.

Either way, the level looks nice and I hope it's well received.

Comment

hi odedge

this is only personnal opinion but i think that gameplay can have different directions:

u said "cliffyB stated..." "...as steve mentionned" but theses are just opinions too !i trust in their work ,i trust in their "judgment" but in no way it proove anyone is wrong, they dont have a "the only true way" tag on their posts ,even if it s always good posts

what is a good or a bad dm depend of how many players will play it online and if the map is original or not

if we use all same "RULES" to built maps we will built very close maps and it can be boring

personnaly i havent find maps like this one with large arenas and open spaces...and if i m enthousiast on this open gameplay it s because i heared many peeps saying that open maps are missing in ut3(100% agree with them)

in no way i had the feeling that the map is too big in 1 v 1 and they are several ways to moove on it ; the author organized a fraqn good gameplay there and it was really easy to addapt to it: simple & efficace
                      why should we always addapt a map to what we are expecting? why cant we addapt to maps? i mean we can balance it

building a map for ut3 dont necessary mean build a complex level ; a arena is a place to fight ;can be complex or simple ....and more than everywhere all is possible in unreal

the author is not necessary lazy or bad mapper ,his work isnt necessary unfinished because he feel that open areas are fiting to 1 / 1 ...lol...doing far shock combos to dispatch opponent can be as fun as close rocket fights ....i just cant agree with you to resume it: if u dont follow usual rules u will build a map for casual/beginner players.....it s just not true

just an example: i enjoy playing darkfight DM from titan pack it s excellent map but if it have been betatested here i m sure the author had hear several times "too dark map !!!" .....nah?what make a map unique is the differences

dunno why i write all that i dont want to convert anyone...i am not a pro player or an elite player but i have some experience(more than3000 hours on ut2k4 and 700 on ut3) and i probably felt offensed while reading you telling that such a map fit to casual/beginners players....OMG...i ll have to fight my ego !

anyway ...thx sharing opinions

Comment

hi odedge

this is only personnal opinion but i think that gameplay can have different directions:

dunno why i write all that i dont want to convert anyone...i am not a pro player or an elite player but i have some experience(more than3000 hours on ut2k4 and 700 on ut3) and i probably felt offensed while reading you telling that such a map fit to casual/beginners players....OMG...i ll have to fight my ego !

anyway ...thx sharing opinions
                        Hello Blitz,

I know game play is subjective and what is fun for you might not be fun for me. I also agree that every map doesn't need to follow the same guidelines or rules. Even though I love the "traditional DM layout" as I discussed in my thread about DM game play, i don't want all maps to be like that.

I like maps that offer different layouts and envirorments. I just got done playing the Titan maps and I do like the darkmatch map for it's twist on game play (except the fact that you can see the players name way outside your light radius ).

I usually don't like symmetrical maps, be do have a few in my map list. If this map had a bit more verticalness to it, I would like it a lot more. This is no offense to Seb as I know he can make a layout that suits the style I like most.

The words I type are my opinion and if I reference other people's comments, it's just to back up my point. I don't really expect to change the person's mind if they are set on a certain layout. But all people should be open to ideas.

I respect your points of view and glad you typed them. Some times knowing why something is a certain way helps a lot in "accepting" it for what it is.

Comment

Odedge: When you have two static meshes occupying the same space, they will flicker trying to fight each other on which one get's displayed (i.e. the term "z-fighting"). If you look at those meshes carefully, you will see this flickering effect. Like I said, it's not that noticeable, but something I look for when testing maps.
                          Oh ya, I understand now !
                          Yes I'm care of that odd stuff too on maps, I will tried a way to fix that.

As for your discution regarding the gameplay, it's very interesting, I'm taking note for now, will have a brain storm and post a repply latter.

Comment

why should we always addapt a map to what we are expecting? why cant we addapt to maps? i mean we can balance it
                            Good point here.
                            Think the main problem for mappers is here.
                            Find a way to balance his layout in fonction of it own gameplay's vision and what expect the others players.
                            So we need to listen other point of view, take the best to improve our work but I think the last word become always to the mapper, personally it's my work and if I'm satisfacted by the result I will keep things as they are even if some guys tell me they don't like a thing or another...

As for this map in particulary, I can explain some stuffs :

first this map is based on the first map I have created for ut2k4, so off course its building is really basic, but basic don't mean everytime bad. (mean in this map it would be unfair to compare the upper floor to an empty and cubish room, that's not the case here imo)

The visuel is polished in the upper level and the basment floor is very detailled and plenty of stuffs, it's what I wanted on this map. It's an artistic concept challenge for me and I have tried to mix the both the best I can (mean hope don't look too odd and illogical between the two levels...)

The layout has been increase since the first version and now it's well better balanced imo, even if it's not the best I have create for sure.
                            but think it work well for duel, better than for standard DM for sure too.

The balance of the layout is explicit I think;
                            The basment is really tide and for close combat and the first level very wide open and allow hight fire range shot, especially for shock riffle.
                            It's a well mix of gameplay imo since we have to constantly run over the map to collect items, placed intentionally for that, so we are confronted to all differents gameplay's situations.

So, probably this map will not enjoy all people, that's the case for all maps, so I'dont care of that. And I'm no offence of Steve or Odedge comments, it's always good to have several opinions

Sure some of my other maps in building will enjoy you better, and if not, that's not really important as far I take fun to do it and it's the more important for me, especially because I spend lot's of time on it !

Oh and concerning the map DM-DarkMatch from the titan pack, just for the joke, when I have open it the first time, I have remember lot's comments of my maps TowerArena or woodrun who said, this map is too dark!!!, it's a bit funny lol

Comment

...Think the main problem for mappers is here.
                              Find a way to balance his layout in fonction of it own gameplay's vision and what expect the others players.
                              So we need to listen other point of view, take the best to improve our work but I think the last word become always to the mapper, personally it's my work and if I'm satisfacted by the result I will keep things as they are even if some guys tell me they don't like a thing or another...
                              Speaking for all maps I comments, mappers shouldn't never felt offensed because my comments are always to help others based on my personal knowledge & not to make the mapper build a level to satisfy my own needs. Also, nothing is "coulé dans le béton" & rules are very subjective.

Take note that I build my own map for my own needs. Take also note that most of my phrase begin by "I would tend to... or I suggest to" and not "Do this... or Do that".

Now regarding your level, like I said, I like it & yes I always read the story before commenting on any stuff. I never comment on aspect that is clear in my head. But I will say something nice for whatever things I like

Comment

Working...
                              X