• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-No-Mans-Land [Beta3][Pics][Update 3-10-09]

Name:WAR-No-Mans-Land[Beta3]
    Version:Beta3
    Compatibility:PC 2.0
    Description:This is a battlefield/wasteland theme map with two bunkers at each end of the map. Includes 4 nodes, vehicles, and everything needed for a warfare map
    Comments:This is the third version of this map, Report any bugs and things that don't feel right in the thread, changes are in the Readme.
    NOTE: Don't be afraid of telling me what you think of the Map, even if its the best or worst that's the process of making a map, If i don't hear you i wont know whats wrong and i wont fix it.
    Screenshot: http://img25.imageshack.us/gal.php?g...nshot00000.png
    Credits:Everything - Dark_stranger
    Download: Download

alwas at some pic of you map when you post its a must truste me at this pll wont downlaod your map if i have no pic

Comment

Report any bugs and things that don't feel right at gigantimo@gmail.com
      I'm sorry, no, that just isn't the way a forum works.

I have a few suggestions. First off, the map name and by association, the file name should be different each different version of map. E.g. WAR-MyMap_Beta1.ut3. This is so there won't be version problems when your map is used in multiplayer servers. To avoid issues and follow the accepted standard I recommend you adopt this format.

I get very poor performance on this map. It's because of a variety of issues.
      1. The terrain is very long and flat. It takes too long to travel between objectives and is rather boring. The bigger problem though is that you can see from one end of the map to the other. Terrain is often used to occlude objects behind it, meaning not draw. This is done to improve performance while still allowing lots of detail to keep things looking pretty. You should absolutely find a way to introduce hills and valleys at some point in your terrain

2. The lightning flashes look neat, but it's a dynamic light with a radius of 40,000, enough to cover everything in the map except the skybox. Dynamic lights are a major performance hit, and my frames would drop in sync with the light flashes. I think you should find another way to produce this effect. Look at WAR-Snakebite_SE for ideas.

3. A long list of other performance issues should be addressed, not least of which is turning off collision on things outside of the play area. Too many for me to micromanage and list for you. Consult this article for detailed instructions: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelOptimization.html

Just for simplicity's sake I recommend you use a single sky light rather than multiple point lights for ambient lighting.

You have bunches of ammo together. That will result in one person taking all of it and probably not getting anything out of it. Spread it out to make people have to think to get it, rather than just taking it because it's right there.

The core is at the end of a very narrow hallway. At the end of that hallway is the player spawns. A long hallway leads out of the base. This is a recipe for long, drawn out spam battles not unlike ONS-BeerBattle, and will probably result in many frustrating overtimes, especially considering how far away the prime nodes are. You should redesign or adapt the base to have more routes into the core. You should add more player spawns, perhaps next to the vehicle spawns. Add weapons lockers there to complement it.

Otherwise, it's a fun concept and you've done a good job meshing the bases. I like the whizzing vehicles overhead. They really add to the feel of the map. I look forward to future versions of it.

Comment

this is the kind of map i wanted to see very much i've always wanted to see a no mans land map but too bad im on ps3...

and from the sounds of it bclagge says its a little flat and long...no mans lands should have a very hilly feel too it with explosions falling at random moments into the no mans land and some dead trees pit holes crates from explosions and also the top thing you would find in trenches would be underground tunnels if you didn't know and most of them would lead to enemy ammunition and enemy base....

and also from what bclagge said that it was sort of boring if it is then it wouldnt work well as a war type map unless you can fix that but it could also be a nice vctf

Comment

Funny when I read the title I thought cool a WW1 style UT3 map but with UT3 guns and vehicles! YAY!

But sadly I was wrong.............

Oh well there is still hope!

Comment

Second Beta

The Second Beta is Out

Enjoy

Comment

What changes have you made?

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                What changes have you made?
                There in the Readme

Comment

Third Beta

Third Beta is Out! Changes are in the ReadMe.

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                  X