Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orb Run

Orb Run

Throw the orb with the Impact Hammer. A thrown orb instantly captures powernodes and deals 34% damage to powercores. Charge the Impact Hammer to increase the range.

The orb is affected by weapons fire and will bounce when it lands.

Comments

The idea is still far from complete and would benefit from suggestions.

Some stuff to consider:
    1. Nodes and cores could perhaps be made immune to conventional damage, requiring the orb to capture nodes and destroy cores.
    2. The orb could bounce. [implemented]
    3. The orb could have something of a smoke or energy trail for increased visibility.
    4. Holding down Impact Hammer Altfire could attract orbs.
    5. Impact Hammer Altfire could select teammates to pass to, like in Bombing Run.
    6. You could be allowed to pick up and "convert" enemy orbs.
    Please post your thoughts and suggestions!

Credits
    • JUNGLIST MOVEMENT for the initial idea.
    • Me.
    • Epic for the Unreal Tournament franchise.
    Download (includes source code)

Depending on how quick the orb respawns, the damage one may not be a problem.
    I think if it respawns relatively quickly, noone will worry that much about damaging nodes/cores with weapons. Except when the other team has used their orb on a node maybe.
    If the nodes are lined up symmetrically, it may be a case of which team captures nodes the fastest wins. Or teams will dispute the same node over and over again, which I guess happens anyway(I don't play much warfare).
    I like points 2, 3 & 6, 4 & 5 could be either one or the other, I'd probably go for 5 because I think it would encourage passing.

Comment

• Nodes and cores could perhaps be made immune to conventional damage, requiring the orb to capture nodes and destroy cores.

As an option, yes, great idea. Especially with a specially built set of maps, along with some of the other modifications you also mentioned, this could even evolve into what would effectively be a new game type—like BR/football/etc. in its ball-in-goal basis, but with multiple goals (nodes) that need to be controlled. Maybe even use the same principle on the power core also, where once your team has captured all the nodes you can deal the finishing blow by throwing your orb into the enemy core.

• The orb could bounce.

Yes, definitely a good idea. In fact, a fair amount of elasticity would give the game some good balance: it would give an orb carrier options, in that from a distance, not only could he try to lob the orb over the defense or sling it in from an elevated position, but he could also launch it at a low angle and "roll" it toward the node base. The latter approach would be less demanding in terms of shot accuracy, but would also be much easier for defenders to prevent.

I'm thinking you'll also want to make sure to do the elasticity calculations right so as to pursue a "rolling" behavior with the orb when it collides with world geometry at very small angles of incidence ... i.e., the elasticity is dampened by the dot product of the normalized velocity of the ball's reflection and the normal of the hit surface.

• The orb could have something of a smoke or energy trail for increased visibility.

Also yes. BR in UT2004 benefited from this and it's a good idea here too.

• Holding down Impact Hammer Altfire could attract orbs.
      • Impact Hammer Altfire could select teammates to pass to, like in Bombing Run.

Very good ideas, and well worth pursuing. Using altfire without the orb to attract would be great for defending incoming thrown orbs, and altfire with the orb for BR-style passing would really open up the possibilities for teamwork.

• You could be allowed to pick up and "convert" enemy orbs.

Maybe. At first glance I'm not sure the game balance could be preserved with this, but it's certainly possible if done right.

I'll add one more suggestion also, if it hasn't been addressed already: a thrown or grounded orb should be subject to collisions and hitscan traces, such that it can be deflected by appropriate types of weapon fire (e.g. shock, flak, stinger, rockets, etc.).

GJ xyx and junglist for putting down the idea, looks very very promising.

Comment

I'm thinking about disconnecting the nodes so that they and the cores all get shielded. The orb would ignore those shields, making it the only way to get anywhere.

Maybe Altfire could semi-slowly lock onto not only teammates but also nodes. It's rather hard to hit anything from a good distance. I guess that is why Bombing Run had Altfire locking.

Originally posted by Poker View Post
        a specially built set of maps
        I'm avoiding that like the plague. I cannot think of many gametypes or mutators with a custom set of maps that did well. Map making takes way too much effort.

you'll also want to make sure to do the elasticity calculations right so as to pursue a "rolling" behavior with the orb when it collides with world geometry at very small angles of incidence
        That's the way the Rocket Launcher 'nades work, which is what I was going to copy.

Using altfire without the orb to attract would be great for defending incoming thrown orbs
        Yeah, it could be "context sensitive", meaning you lock while holding the orb and attract while not holding the orb.

• You could be allowed to pick up and "convert" enemy orbs.
        Maybe. At first glance I'm not sure the game balance could be preserved with this, but it's certainly possible if done right.
        That's what the beta is for... finding out.

a thrown or grounded orb should be subject to collisions and hitscan traces, such that it can be deflected by appropriate types of weapon fire
        That's a very good one. Should be fun to bounce it around. You could even defend your own node by firing into it with the Goliath to deflect incoming nodes.

Comment

Update. See first post for download.

Highlights:
          • Orbs bounce. Much easier to toss 'em into nodes now. I once captured the enemy prime on Torlan from the hill.
          • Orbs get bounced by weapons fire.
          It's a bit glitchy, though. The orb doesn't always launch or bounce properly.

Comment

I like idea #5 more than #4

Anyway...

One interesting idea would be turning the orb into an offensive projectile
            Basically charge the launch up and it can gib an enemy but the orb itself just plops down to be picked up again

Comment

The focus of this little project is to integrate Bombing Run gameplay into Warfare, not to "make the orb do stuff". Using the orb offensively would detract from the Bombing Run element.

Comment

Nice idea! So you can capture a node by throwing the orb to? Also you can throw the orb to other teammates?
                This will be a great improve of the Warfare gametype!

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmix View Post
                  So you can capture a node by throwing the orb to?
                  Yes.

Originally posted by Cosmix View Post
                  you can throw the orb to other teammates?
                  Certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Thanubis
                    The 34% core damage isn't working. I shot the core with full charge and the orb just bounced off.
                    That is probably a map specific issue with a blocking volume. I tested in Torlan and I don't think I tried any other maps.

the launcher occasionally misfires, launching the orb with no momentum so it basically just falls straight down out of the launcher.
                    Strange. That is not intentional.

Do the bots know how to use the launcher to capture nodes or pass the orb?
                    I'm afraid not.

how about adding a small explosion when the orb is destroyed, like the Unstable Orbs mutator is supposed to do?
                    That could be interesting, but I am 99% likely not to touch this mutator ever again.

Comment

If I remember right, the MarketDistrict cores can be moved if you hold both side nodes
                      That ability to move could be what's blocking the orb

Comment

Working...
                      X