Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Aftermath BETA3[PICS][D/L]Fixed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Aftermath BETA3[PICS][D/L]Fixed

FINAL IS OUT. VISIT THE FINAL THREAD.

DM-Aftermath BETA3

Version:
    BETA3
    Compatibility:
    Only tested on V1.3
    Authors notes:
    Much has changed from the early stage; I have changed the layout by a huge amount for more Z Axis Fighting, as Odedge made it clear to me how important it really is, I have completley removed the darkwalker, so no unfair advantages and no vehicles. I am quite happy with the version I have at the moment, but depending on the feedback I get from the community, I am quite happy to change.
    Description:
    An axon city than has been overrun and damaged by a necris attack.
    Screenshot:

Credits:

Myself - Mapping
    Epic Games - For UT3, UED3 and all the content.
    Hourences - For tutorials and a sample readme file
    Lord PorkSword - For the name "Aftermath"
    Odedge - For showing me how important Z Axis Fighting is, testing (:
    Xplosivgt - Inspiration and ideas.
    Whoever cooks for PS3 - PS3 Cook

DOWNLOAD

Things I would like posted back (if you have the time):
    1. How does the map run on a lower end PC? (I optimized it a fair bit before beta 1, but cannot really tell how it compares to stock maps, as my computer runs any map at max with at least 70 fps.)
    2. What do you think about the gameplay/how can it be improved?
    3. Should I add some sort of kismet event/any ideas?
    4. What else could be improved?
    5. What do you think of the layout?

Changelog (BETA3):
    Lighting slightly changed.
    More jumppads added for better movement.
    Some "boring" areas revistited and improved.
    The destroyed paladin now has collsion.
    Bots are now smarter.
    Bots should use the sniper tower as a sniping point.
    Health vials added in the hallway (longer one) with the Udamage.
    Small "ramp" underneath the Udamage in the hallway (longer one) to make it less 'flat'.
    Some meshes that overlapped each other now fit better.

Changelog (BETA2):
    Removed the tenticles.
    Removed the Big Keg o Heath that was next to the Beserk.
    Replaced stair material with a non 'wet' one.
    Replaced the 'wall' material with a non 'wet' one and doubled the size (of the material).
    Moved the blocking volumes to more precise locations, all collision issues 'should' be fixed.
    Increased the playerstarts to 32
    Changed the meshes on the roof (to a vent, which I found in the dark depths of the environment folder).
    Made the 'walls' near the beserk shorter.
    Changed the footstep sounds for all the meshes.
    Removed the duplicate Skydome.
    Added some extra foliage.

And please rate the thread.

Has anyone had the time to try it yet? Some feedback would be great.

Thanks,
    Stuey95

Comment

Looks nice, haven't tried it yet, but if you want a PS3 cook go over to www.unreal.mod-station.com forum and ask for one

Comment

Hello Stuey95,

Wasn't this map originally intended to have vehicles(more than the darkwalker)? For me, the map is too big for just "infantry". It takes a bit to get around and when you do fight against people (depending on the location), you feel very small.

I hate to say this (as I am not a fan of vehicles in most DM maps), but you might want to add some in (scorpians, hellbenders). Keep them small for the most part. Maybe put in a darkwalker (but only if spawns once in a while) and maybe one flying vehicle?

Of course, you will have to put in some weapons (avril, slow volume) to help the infantry. They will be able to use the roof tops to avoid and attack some of the vehicles, so that will help their "cause".

Now on to the other stuff...

Originally posted by Stuey95 View Post
        Known Bugs:
        There are white (untextured) things in the background, that I somehow missed.
        Bots sometimes walk back and forth under the "ramps".
        The "road" texture is pretty horrible.
        The sky shimmers.
        1. I saw the same untextured things going through the bridge, but when I load the map in the editor, they are the necris tenticles.

2. I didn't think the roads looked bad at all. You don't have the mesh overscalled, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

3. The sky shimmers because you have multiple sky domes in the same place. Pardon the "pun", but they are z-fighting against each other. You also have 2 other meshs (static mesh 810&887) doing the same thing (they are containers).

4. When I loaded up the map in the editor, it stated I was missing the GOW_UN_SKY package. This either needs to be distributed with your map, but even better, duplicated the needed assets and add them to your map file.

5. In general, you want to make sure the thing you are walking on makes the appropriate noise. There are a number of "surfaces" (materials or meshes) that make the default foot step sound (the sound that is heard walking on terrain).

6. I would add more player starts (23 for this size map isn't enough).

7. To me, the texture you chose for the 4 "walls" that have the drains coming out of them doesn't look right. In addition, the steps that the lead to the Keg of Health and Berserk pickup, shouldn't have the texture with water on it, as most of the steps never get wet. I would replace it with the same texture, but with out the water.

8. It seems a bit over kill to have the keg of health and the berserk pickup in the same location.

9. It's good that you added blocking volumes around the cars that didn't have it, you should also add a big blocking volume at the end of the street where all of the cars create a 'road block", you can easily see inside the cars when you get close to them.

10. On top of the building that has the rocket launcher and helmet, those 4 machines don't look right. There some be some sort of "chimney" or "vent".

11. You are essentially using one big additive brush for your ground. You might want to think about making a few smaller ones that only cover what the player can see (which might be a bit tricky).

Right now, that brush should be being displayed essentially at all times. It will also have shadows on it, that the player will never see (because of all of the meshes above it).

Comment

@Duobix, Thanks man.

@Odedge,

Yes, I originally wanted vehicles but I decided to remove them, as they wouldn't really fit in with the map (although the darkwalker might). Flying vehicles wouldn't work because of the way I have set up the map and would reach invisible walls above the buildings, roadblocks and some of the containers.

I know what you mean about feeling 'small', as I have a problem with scaling when I make the level. As I create it in my viewport it looks slightly smaller which is to my own fault. As far as the gameplay goes, I am quite happy with it. I tested the game with 32 bots and there was plenty of action to be had... ...perhaps I should raise the reccomended players as the level is HUGE.

Other stuff:
          1. That was just me forgetting to delete stuff.
          2. Whatever you say. (I am a perfectionist)
          3. Yeah I knew that, but didn't realise till after uploading Beta 1, so I will wait for more bugs to appear, or things I need to sort out.
          4. I didn't think I put any GOW content in the map... Tell me if anything is not there ingame for you.
          5. I will work on this... thanks
          6. OK will work on that too
          7. That too
          8. Will move the keg or delete it.
          9. There is already a blocking volume there (from what I know), picture perhaps?
          10. Yes, I didn't really like them, but left them to see what everyone else thought.
          11. I am unsure what you mean. Do you mean change the material for indiviual sections, or change the heights?

I will get these done ASAP.

Edit: @11. Do you mean for optimisation?

Comment

vAs far as the gameplay goes, I am quite happy with it. I tested the game with 32 bots and there was plenty of action to be had...
            If you enjoy the game play, that's what counts as game play can be very subjective.

4. I didn't think I put any GOW content in the map... Tell me if anything is not there ingame for you.
            There isn't anything major missing, but you should clean this up just to be on the safe side.

8. Will move the keg or delete it.
            I would delete it as there is alreayd another keg of health in the map.

9. There is already a blocking volume there (from what I know), picture perhaps?
            The static mesh I was able to look into was StaticMeshActor_681. It's on the left side of the street (near the water) if you are looking down the bridge. Also, you have some blocking volumes around the containers that border the playble area of the map. On some of them, I was able to walk on the edge of the container, but I am sure it looked silly from another player's view.

11. I am unsure what you mean. Do you mean change the material for indiviual sections, or change the heights?

I will get these done ASAP.

Edit: @11. Do you mean for optimisation?
            Yes, I made my comment for the sake of optimization.

There is also that floating jump pad, which looks a bit odd. Maybe you could attach it to something solid as this would make more sense in your environment.

One last thing regarding the wrecked vehicles in the street. I wouldn't have them "sunk" into the street if the street isn't damaged with little craters in them.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback again Odedge.
              OK, what I have done (for the next version):

1. Removed the tenticles.
              2. Removed the Big Keg o Heath
              3. Replaced stair material with a non 'wet' one.
              4. Replaced the 'wall' material with a non 'wet' one and doubled the size (of the material).
              5. Moved the blocking volumes to more precise locations, all collision issues 'should' be fixed.
              6. Increased the playerstarts to 32
              7. Changed the meshes on the roof (to a vent, which I found in the dark depths of the environment folder).
              8. Made the 'wall' shorter.

What I need to do:
              1. Change the footstep sounds for each area. (How do I go about doing this?)

Comment

What I need to do:
                1. Change the footstep sounds for each area. (How do I go about doing this?)
                For a static mesh, you need to open up it's properties, expand Collision, then CollisionComponent, then Physics. In the generic browse you will see a package call "PhysicalMaterials", load the entire package. Select the correct one (make sure you have that asset type checked), then insert it in the PhysMaterialOverride field by selecting the green arrow button.

If it's a material thats on a BSP, you would have to copy the instructions in the material and create your own, then paste it back, reconnect and change the same parameter in the material. I can explain it better, if needed.

Comment

Ok, I have changed the sound for all the static meshes, just have to do the BSP. Hmm editing the materials might take a long time...

Would this work: Putting a simple mesh over the ground, removing collision, and making it invisible ingame, and applying a physical material?

Comment

Would this work: Putting a simple mesh over the ground, removing collision, and making it invisible ingame, and applying a physical material?
                    No it won't. If you remove the collision, the player won't walk on it. You could do the same thing, but add collision for only the player (not weapons0 and set it up so it doesn't accept lights or cast a shadow.

The materials thing isn't that hard, but you do have to ask yourself is it worth it (as it does take more time than static meshes). Are there any current BSP surfaces that don't sound right?

Comment

Oh ok, I think I might just leave it anyway, the current sound sounds alright. I can't even hear my footsteps over my Monster Kills anyway!

Edit:Beta 2 is being uploaded. ^^

Comment

BETA 2 is out!

Comment

Hey Stuey95,
                          I have test the previous version,
                          This map is really too big for a regular DM.
                          You would think to condemn some areas in it...
                          And your lighting looks a bit flat actually, try to more contrast it.
                          Some wall-textures with water which runs by top looks odd around the water area... Edit : I just see you have remove it on your next version

Comment

Ok thanks for the feedback! Yeah I felt like making a "larger" deathmatch map, but for some reason my scale is off so ended up making a MASSIVE map. I will try to work on the lighting as it is a bit "flat".
                            With the size, I can't really make it smaller, as it is a little bit too late for that, but pehaps I could add more jump pads or make some areas more exiting? I was also wondering if I should add some sort of kismet stuff into it. What do you think/any ideas?

Comment

but pehaps I could add more jump pads or make some areas more exiting? I was also wondering if I should add some sort of kismet stuff into it. What do you think/any ideas?
                              Yeah, if you could'nt remove/condemn some areas, add more jumpads can help to navigate more faster on this big place

And I always like when there are some kismet seq on a map

Comment

Working...
                              X