No announcement yet.

XS Alpha: Basilisk (formerly Flak Tank)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never played the 2k4 version. I found it fun to use, but very very sluggish. Don't know if it's meant to be that way. Although the ability to jump does help a lot when needed.

Rather have a scatter shot than the scope on the main gun though. Great job otherwise.

Comment

Can we have mut to spawn this like the Harpy? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gofers View Post
        very very sluggish.
        It's a big, heavy vehicle like the Hellbender or the SPMA, not a small hoverbike like the Manta. Do you think it's still sluggish for a tank?

Rather have a scatter shot than the scope on the main gun
        That wouldn't really add anything, would it? Whether you cover an area with sustained fire or with bursts has nearly the same effect.

I suppose it would allow you to fire four accurate shots at once, before the recoil kicks in. I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'd rather have the scope.

Originally posted by 2B=M View Post
        Can we have mut to spawn this like the Harpy? :-)
        Farseer is working on a vehicle set replacement mutator. When he releases that, we'll include the required config files for all our stuff.

Comment

Perhaps flak grenades for the secondary? Like the mortar but less powerful.

Comment

Primary fire is very similar to flak grenades already. Altfire should do something entirely different. I also considered something along the line of flak primary fire (the shards), but that too just covers an area with damage, same as the current quadflakker primary fire.

But seriously, what's wrong with the zoom that it needs to be replaced to begin with?

Comment

Okay, still as an alpha, wouldn't it make it easier to test it's balance if it actually replaced a vehicle? I don't know jack about Uscript, so I'm not criticizing, just curious as to how much extra coding that really takes.

Comment

Farseer is working on a replacement mutator. It will be out "soon". In the meantime, just use the console command (summon xs_flaktank.flaktank in this case).

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                  It's a big, heavy vehicle like the Hellbender or the SPMA, not a small hoverbike like the Manta. Do you think it's still sluggish for a tank?
                  It's probably the fast turning but slow moving combo that's throwing me off. Just feels weird to me.

That wouldn't really add anything, would it? Whether you cover an area with sustained fire or with bursts has nearly the same effect.

I suppose it would allow you to fire four accurate shots at once, before the recoil kicks in. I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'd rather have the scope.
                  I guess I can see that side of it. I just rarely found myself using the scope much. Perhaps right click could explode the ball under the vehicle, doing an AoE damage effect like that of the Paladin shield/ball combo. After exploding it you become unable to move till it respawns. Be a very interesting effect to say jump on a Goliath then explode the ball.

I mainly just like the spread shot of the flak cannon. When I saw this link it's what I was expecting, and thought "holy flak spam batman". By the pitchers I was seeing a speedy slim design. Pretty much was expecting something like the scorpion, a little tougher, but a slightly harder to use attack. Not that what you're making is bad, just threw off my own mind from lack of sleep.

An idea for the second seat could be that right click releases the seat, giving the driver a very low armored mobile hover vehicle that allows them to help setup where to shoot the ball. Right click will teleport you back, when destoryed you die and the rest of the vehicle is telepoerted back. Although I'm guessing you are sticking with what you have, can be an idea for another vehicle.

Guess I should hush up now.

Comment

It's probably the fast turning but slow moving combo that's throwing me off.
                    I'll see if I can slow the turning some more without making it a pain to handle.

right click could explode the ball under the vehicle, doing an AoE damage effect like that of the Paladin shield/ball combo.
                    Jump already does that!

An idea for the second seat could be that right click releases the seat, giving the driver a very low armored mobile hover vehicle that allows them to help setup where to shoot the ball. Right click will teleport you back, when destoryed you die and the rest of the vehicle is telepoerted back.
                    We'll probably stick with the "camera mortar" on this one, but that is a very cool concept. Detachable stuff is always great, and teleporting back onto the tank bypasses the ol' "drive all the way back and carefully back up to reattach the trailer in the heat of battle" problem.

In fact, this sounds so awesome that I'm going to see if this can still be done. Press Jump to detach, crouch to park, Jump again to recall... that could do the trick. Anything that makes the passenger less dependent on the driver is good. Plus we basically get two vehicles for the price of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                      I'll see if I can slow the turning some more without making it a pain to handle.
                      Being that it's meant for the faster vehicles I'm not sure that would be good. Just saying it was throwing me off. It's just different, never used a vehicle like it in a game.

Jump already does that!
                      Ooooo... will have to try that.

We'll probably stick with the "camera mortar" on this one, but that is a very cool concept. Detachable stuff is always great, and teleporting back onto the tank bypasses the ol' "drive all the way back and carefully back up to reattach the trailer in the heat of battle" problem.

In fact, this sounds so awesome that I'm going to see if this can still be done. Press Jump to detach, crouch to park, Jump again to recall... that could do the trick. Anything that makes the passenger less dependent on the driver is good. Plus we basically get two vehicles for the price of one.
                      Was more of a throwing random **** out there. Another option could be making the mortar controllable in the air like the redeemer. Just can't do as sharp of turns, allowing you to hit that pin point a bit better. Longer the distance, more time to adjust and such.

Comment

Quick question while I'm spamming posts. Do I need each "Base" file for each car? Doesn't seem I do, but then I'm about to try a 4th one and I see it's file size is less, leaving me worried.

Comment

Use the largest base file available (ie the newest one)

Comment

Use the latest Base (though in the case of the Condor you'll need the Base that came with the Condor or the bombs will crash the game... I still have to fix that).

Was more of a throwing random **** out there.
                            Well, don't stop! It was an awesome idea. Looks like we're already too far down the line to use it now (re-envision, remodel, rerig, reskin...), but if we had heard this two months ago we'd definitely have used it.

It's just different, never used a vehicle like it in a game.
                            Excellent. Mission accomplished for us!

making the mortar controllable in the air like the redeemer. Just can't do as sharp of turns, allowing you to hit that pin point a bit better.
                            It is set up as a ballistic weapon. If I'd add some way to alter the flight path, then the whole concept changes. The trajectory display would no longer serve much of a purpose, for instance.

I still hope to be able to draw the shell's trajectory on the minimap. That's gonna be tough, but maybe it'll work out well.

Perhaps for some other vehicle we could make a camera guided missile like those on the Battlefield 2 gunships, where you can click on a small camera screen to assign a new destination. They're pretty fast missiles, though, so you have to be really quick.

Comment

Could a vehicle deploy a little camera which can move around slowly then you can click on a target, a missile launches out of the base vehicle, the missile can then be reassigned to a new position by clicking another position, like you said.

Comment

Update. See first post for download.

Highlights:
                                • Mortar now fires big bombs on primary fire, cameras on altfire.
                                • Mortar aim completely overhauled.
                                • Mortar shows a little graph on the HUD illustrating the trajectory... not yet working correctly.
                                • Ball rolls correctly.
                                • Loads of little tweaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X