Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update. See first post for download.

Highlights:
    • Recoil based accuracy. De-uberizes the tank's long range ground-to-ground capabilities.
    • Difference between airburst (large explosion) and regular (medium)explosion. De-uberizes the tank versus infantry, though it is still very effective.
    • Tweaked the ball jump. Ball explosion now deals area damage and ragdolls people nearby. Not that it needed to, but I'm experimenting.
    • Fixed the HUD code that Epic messed up in the 2.0 patch.
    I might make the mortar shell ragdoll people and send 'em flying. It has a pretty slow refire rate, so you should be able to get up and clear the blast area before the next shell drops. Plus, if it's indirect fire, you shouldn't be at the mercy of the quadflakker.

The model is being made ready for texturing. I also hope to have the untextured model in the game before the texture is done.

Comment

Highlights:
      • Splashes and different handling when on water.
      • Ball no longer ragdolls people... just regular damage.
      • Mortar shell now ragdolls people... on the rare occasions it doesn't kill them outright.
      • Jump tweaked.
      • Quadflak airburst only arms after a very brief safety margin delay... so you don't blow yourself up when some Hellbender charges you.
      I need suggestions for the driver's Altfire. I could go for crouch or zoom, but that's a bit unspecial.

Comment

The one question I have with the flak tank is how well does it do against other vehicles or is it mainly a defensive vehicle not meant for offensive runs?

Comment

Major update! See first post for details and download.

Highlights:
          • Model! We're working on the texture (yes, really), so the model still uses the Hellbender texture.
          • Altfire zoom on the quadflakker.
          • Tweaked handling.
          • Loads of little animations; the quadflakker arm rises up when you aim down, some miniwings slide in when you step on the gas, landing gear, mortar platform and storage tank fold down when you park, tiny stabilizers on the front try to stay level and the various barrels all recoil when fired.
          Originally posted by apophis3d View Post
          how well does it do against other vehicles or is it mainly a defensive vehicle not meant for offensive runs?
          Depends. What makes a vehicle "defensive"?

The flak tank omgwtfpwnz mantas, vipers and raptors but needs to watch out for goliaths and nemeses.

Comment

that looks sweet

any plans for an ION TANK?

the way you use it is what makes it defensive or offensive

Comment

Originally posted by |Grayfox| View Post
              any plans for an ION TANK?
              No.

Originally posted by |Grayfox| View Post
              the way you use it is what makes it defensive or offensive
              You love stating the blatantly obvious, don't you?

Comment

The Flak Tank has evolved into alpha stage and has nearly reached beta stage. Now is the time for gameplay feedback. We need you! Please give it a try and let us know what you think!

Comment

Well, I still think the passenger seat needs some optimization. The camera still feels a bit strange to me, and did so since the UT2k4 version. Due to the ballistic arc aiming system, a very VERY small movement of the mouse will already cause the shell to land a dozen meters from where it was aimed before. Combined with the extremely long reloading it takes ages to find the right spot to bombard. Most of the time, the enemies will have found you and taken you out before you even came near the node you intended to hit from afar.

Therefore, my suggestion remains the same (slight improvements included): Give the camera shell a camera that can be adjusted with the mouse (rotates around the projectile), so you can even look down when the shell is still rising. Under the camera sits a little dart launcher that fires a small targeting beacon which draws a secondary trajectory indicator on your hud that is always aligned to the beacon. When your aiming trajectory and the helper trajectory overlap, both will turn green, so you know when the shell will land where you shot the beacon to. Of course the enemy team will be able to destroy the beacon. It could even be destroyed by the flak shell itself, so you'd have to shoot a new one for every aimed shot, but that might be a bit harsh.

Oh, and it would be nice if the vehicle camera for the passenger seat would rise a bit when zooming out, the flat angle makes it quite hard to aim with primary fire, a small twitch of the mouse and the impact area will move half a mile, especially when aiming up- or downhill...

Comment

It already feels very natural in-game, the only real change I can suggest (other than just generally improving the cannon of the second seat) is improving the air control after jumping, being forced to travel primarily forward after the jump is a pain especially when trying to maneuver terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Shock View Post
                      Due to the ballistic arc aiming system, a very VERY small movement of the mouse will already cause the shell to land a dozen meters from where it was aimed before.
                      I'll see if I can reduce mouse sensitivity somehow. I fear this is it, though.

Give the camera shell a camera that can be adjusted with the mouse (rotates around the projectile), so you can even look down when the shell is still rising.
                      I improved the camera to always try and face its destination. That helps tons. Before, you'd mostly just see the sky on the first half of the journey. I gave the camera a maximum angle of 90 degrees, which I consider generous.

If I freed the camera up for mouse movement, I'd keep it at 90 degrees. So you would still not be able to look down. I don't see why you'd need to look down at yourself anyway.

Under the camera sits a little dart launcher that fires a small targeting beacon which draws a secondary trajectory indicator on your hud that is always aligned to the beacon.
                      That's a bit complicated...

What I will do is draw the predicted impact area regardless of whether you have line-of-sight, perhaps with a different color when you don't.

What I could also do is draw the previous arc in a slowly fading color.

What I would like to do is draw the shell's flight path and predicted impact area on the minimap... but not much success thus far. It'd be cool to have a weapon that literally needs a map to aim.

it would be nice if the vehicle camera for the passenger seat would rise a bit when zooming out
                      I'll see what I can do there.

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                      improving the air control after jumping, being forced to travel primarily forward after the jump is a pain especially when trying to maneuver terrain.
                      The tank is primarily propelled by the ball and jumps through the force of the explosion of the ball. Without the ball to provide traction on the ground, it can't really go anywhere. It's not like the Manta/Viper/Raptor in that it has some magical aerial sidestrafing ability.

I'll double the air control, though. Let's see how that pans out.

Comment

This vehicle and/or mutator does not show up at all for me. I chacked and everything is where it should be... ???

Comment

Bots can't seem to hit anything with the mortar.

Comment

@ShadeMistress: It's still an alpha release, so it comes without a mutator. Use the console command 'summon xs_flaktank.flaktank'. Don't forget to use the 'ghost' command beforehand, or the spawned vehicle will crush you.

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                            If I freed the camera up for mouse movement, I'd keep it at 90 degrees. So you would still not be able to look down. I don't see why you'd need to look down at yourself anyway.
                            I didn't want it to be able to rotate 360 degrees anyway, I was just very annoyed that the camera looked at the sky during the first seconds. Good to hear that you already fixed that.

That's a bit complicated...
                            Is it really? How so? I mean, you should be able to use exactly the same alogorithm that calculates the current trajectory, only with the beacon location as the reference point instead of the point under the crosshair... Or am I missing something here?

You know, what I like so much about the idea with the beacon is, that you don't have to remain stationary when bombarding a certain spot. I mean, with the Colossus there is already a stationary artillery in the XS set, so why not make the other artillery mobile? Removes redundancy.

What I will do is draw the predicted impact area regardless of whether you have line-of-sight, perhaps with a different color when you don't.
                            What I could also do is draw the previous arc in a slowly fading color.
                            minimap...
                            Good ideas, that should be of help when it comes to adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B=M View Post
                              Bots can't seem to hit anything with the mortar.
                              Bot support is not yet in.

you should be able to use exactly the same alogorithm that calculates the current trajectory, only with the beacon location as the reference point instead of the point under the crosshair... [...] what I like so much about the idea with the beacon is, that you don't have to remain stationary when bombarding a certain spot.
                              The Photon Tank is almost exactly as you describe; pinpoint a location, then move around whilst spamming that location with indirect fire.

If the mortar is fired in direction X, the shell will end up in spot Y.
                              I am calculating spot Y, not direction X. I tried the latter for the UT2004 Flak Tank; the shell would land where you'd place the crosshair. However, that would make indirect fire impossible since you'd fire the shell into the wall. It does work for the Photon Tank, however, since you target a spot first and then move behind cover.

with the Colossus there is already a stationary artillery in the XS set
                              The Colossus has yet another approach; it sort of makes itself really tall so it can shoot over obstacles.

Besides, there could never be too much indirect fire in the game.

Comment

Highlights:
                                • More air control. Still not much but at least it's noticeable now.
                                • Mortar will display the last arc used to give you a bit of a reference. This arc slowly fades.
                                • Mortar hit area indicator has been revamped. Still not visible through obstacles, though. That'll still happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X