Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XS Alpha: Basilisk (formerly Flak Tank)

Basilisk (formerly known as Flak Tank)
    A heavy, ball-driven hover tank combining two traditional roles; anti-air and indirect fire. The driver controls the anti-air quad flakker, the passenger controls a flak mortar. The quad flakker is a four-barreled fast-firing high velocity airburst flak gun with excellent aerial tracking capabilities. The mortar fires large flak shells with cameras that allow the gunner to target stuff behind obstacles.

The back of the tank rests on an energy ball while the nose hovers on an antigrav pad. The tank can detonate its energy ball to make small jumps. It can also turn the ball off to brace itself on the ground. This reduces recoil.

The tank is protected by conventional armor and an electromagnetic energy field (projected by that thing in front) that disperses plasma bolts, making it highly resistant to fire from its natural prey.

[shot]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/43096/Test/11.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/43096/Test/P1020161.JPG[/shot]

[shot]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/43096/FlakTank/FT5.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/43096/FlakTank/FT6.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/791295/UT3/XS/Basilisk/FlakTank04.jpg[/shot]

Prototype preface
    XS prototypes are built to see if certain concepts work as well in practice as they look on paper, to see if our ideas can be realized and whether they are fun. This thread is meant to gather feedback and suggestions. Please post your thoughts and crazy ideas!

Controls
    • Press Jump to detonate the ball. This will cause the tank to jump and will knock down and slightly damage people nearby (like the Darkwalker's horn, except with a bit of damage).
    • Hold down Crouch to park. The increased stability lessens the effects of recoil on accuracy.
    • The quadflakker will draw a target lead indicator on the HUD when aimed at flying vehicles.
    • Press Fire to fire the quadflakker.
    • Quadflakker shells will airburst near vehicles, spreading damage over a much larger area than when detonating in the ground.
    • Quadflakker shells deal extra damage to flying vehicles and vehicles with light armor.
    • Press Altfire to see through the quadflakker camera, which provides 100% magnified zoom.
    • The passenger controls the mortar.
    • The mortar will draw its predicted trajectory on the HUD, including its predicted damage area.
    • The mortar has special aiming controls, but is fairly intuitive. Move the mouse up to move the marker away.
    • Press Fire to fire a massive mortar bomb.
    • Press Altfire to fire a mortar camera. Use these cameras to line up your aim for the big bomb.
    • Press Fire while looking through the mortar shell camera to make that shell airburst.
    • Press Altfire while looking through the mortar shell camera to switch off the shell camera and let that shell continue its trajectory.
    • The tank takes vastly reduced damage from plasma bolts (Raptor, Manta, Viper, Darkwalker passenger, Link Gun primary).

Known issues
    • A glitch may cause the tank to start shaking while parked. Please let me know if you experience this.

Prototype disclaimer
    XS prototypes are not meant to represent finished products. Custom graphics, balance tweaking, bot support, net support and extensive bugfixing are not part of the package.

Download
    • MediaFire
    • (FileFront temporarily unavailable)

So, does that mean this incarnation of the flak tank will be more or less the same than the UT2k4 one? The rapid-fire flak shells of the alpha version always felt a bit strange to me, wasn't it supposed to get something along the lines of classical flak (radar-proximity explosives)? And will you keep the mortar cam? It always felt a little bit confusing to me, if not even annoying at times. In theory it was good when firing at targets that were out of sight, but in practice it was quite hard to adjust each following shot based upon camera feedback. Just a little twitch on the mouse and the aim was way off again. Maybe, if it will be a two-seater again, altfire could mark a target with an invisible marker that lasts for 20 seconds and displays a path from the tank to the marker that has to be aligned with the mortars aiming reticule to hit the marked spot? So, you'd pop up, mark your target, get back to cover, align your aim with the marker path and shoot until the marker vanishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Shock View Post
      does that mean this incarnation of the flak tank will be more or less the same than the UT2k4 one?
      Certainly.

The rapid-fire flak shells of the alpha version always felt a bit strange to me, wasn't it supposed to get something along the lines of classical flak (radar-proximity explosives)?
      I believe it did, in the end. The last version being the one with the mortar trajectory display.

will you keep the mortar cam? [...] it was quite hard to adjust each following shot based upon camera feedback.
      Never gave me problems. All you have to do is keep your mouse in place, same as for the SPMA.

Comment

What is the thing coming out of the nose of the middle picture, looks like a forcefield

Comment

That's a disruptor that that diffuses the electromagnetic fields that hold plasma bolts together.

Comment

Big update. See first post for details.

Highlights:
            • Download available.
            • Most features implemented.

Comment

Moar vehicles pls.

Comment

**** slow computer,Still laggin like hell. Well it looks good anyway.

Comment

Update. See first post for details.

Highlights:
                  • Ball!
                  • Parking increases stability, including quadflakker accuracy.
                  • Easier aiming on the mortar.

Comment

Ummm... Get on the ball?

Comment

What exactly does the Ball do?

Comment

It drives the vehicle, and it can explode to make the vehicle jump (and then it respawns).

Comment

Heh, ut3 needs more vehicles like the ones you make m8

just awsome to look at, not to mention actually play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                            It drives the vehicle, and it can explode to make the vehicle jump (and then it respawns).
                            What it doesn't do is disappear when the vehicle gets destroyed. Afer thorough testing the whole battlefield was full of those things. I know, I know, it's just a prototype so it's not important as a bug, but my point is another one anyway: I see some potential here for a feature: When the vehicle is destroyed, the ball's energy is no longer contained by the vehicles magnetic field and a chain reaction kicks in. Maybe it poisons the area around it with radiation for a few seconds (X-ray field effect perhaps?) and then explodes like a dead Titan. That way you have a small chance of revenge against the players who killed you and didn't get away fast enough afterwards.

Comment

We found that issue too. Teh Ball will clean up after itself in the next version. I also made its explosion damaging and gave it the same properties as the Darkwalker horn shockwave. Just experimenting with that, see if it adds to the fun.

Plenty of ways to toy with Teh Ball upon death. Like it rolling along for a bit and then exploding for the last time.

Comment

Working...
                              X