No announcement yet.

DM-WoodRun Final [update 12/12/09]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta 003 ready to download. (see the first post)
    Feel free to give me your comments about items placement/gameplay in a first time
    visual is under construction !
    Oh and tell me if this map can be a duel map, I don't play duel so...

Comment

if u mean 1v1...sure it can ! first time i ve play this one i had same feeling as first games on rankin ....i think u hav a high potential map here; simple & efficace ...

...nice style ...

Comment

Good, will try the first beta tonight

Comment

really happy u kept it in a "open" style with many ways to do long transversals shots

it s good idea to hav put ammo health all around; it balance the fact that u cant hide behind your shield gun....**** it ! i ll have to change thoses ut2k4 eyes for ut3 new ones

just played a 1v1 vs a bot and i ve note that sometimes he was stuck "under" those two woods or simply watching them....

shock add rock like hell and i really like the map...good job

Comment

B003 feedback

Hey Seb

Good improvements with great potential

I didn't encounter any bugs with bots & it play well in 1on1

Gameplay wise, I only have 2 small suggestions.

1 - There is only 1 way to get the bezerk and I think it will be better if you can add another jump pad there since when your at the bottom, the other player at the higher level as a huge advantage (just camp & fire).

[screenshot]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8725/screenshot00000wh4.jpg[/screenshot]

2 - You have a player start near the vest. I strongly suggest you move it, it must be a risky item to get

Visuals

That SM is very stretched (it's the only one I found) :

[screenshot]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1124/screenshot00001eb0.jpg[/screenshot]

It will be a great map if you put attention to details and add more rusty machines, mechanics, sounds, smoke, etc. A great map you can check for inspiration is DM-Old factory (see in my Stevie's corner) which use a similar theme.

Looking forward the next beta

Comment

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
              1-really happy u kept it in a "open" style with many ways to do long transversals shots
              2-just played a 1v1 vs a bot and i ve note that sometimes he was stuck "under" those two woods.
              1- So I will try keep it open but I want add some stuffs for breaking line of sight in some places too.

2- I was pretty sure this quicky last add will be cause trouble lol
              i don't have see that with 10 bots match, so beta is really helpfull for that kind of troubles
              I will fix that.

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
              1 - There is only 1 way to get the bezerk and I think it will be better if you can add another jump pad there since when your at the bottom, the other player at the higher level as a huge advantage (just camp & fire).
              2 - You have a player start near the vest. I strongly suggest you move it, it must be a risky item to get
              3-It will be a great map if you put attention to details and add more rusty machines, mechanics, sounds, smoke, etc. A great map you can check for inspiration is DM-Old factory (see in my Stevie's corner) which use a similar theme.
              1-It's a choice,
              I wanted just one way to grab this item but you point at me maybe it can give to much advantage (but is it not the goal to that kind of item?)...I will think of that

2-It's a choice too !
              I like try to put here and there some lucky factor for the spawn location during the game. I mean I like have the luck sometime to spawn at a location where you can have an advantage, the oportunity to be again on score with spawn directly close to a powerup item.

3-exactly what I want create in this map, I will put all this stuffs
              Oh and I will take a look to the map you point at me, maybe I will found more inspiration than I have already lol

Thx a lot for feedbacks my bros !

edit :

Oh, I need some suggestions about the roof :

If you take a look via editor, you will see I have lined up the beams of the structure of the top roof (on top of the rocket room) to those of the garage's roof to keep the "realism" of the build. But I think the top roof looks too flat, did you think I must change the angle of the structure so the top roof will be more pitched? Or make 2 different structures, keep the metal beam structure for the garage roof, and make a wood framework on the top roof ?

And I want put some containers on the garage surounding the stinger, will be a bit more cover place and break a bit line of shot with other part of the map, what you think about that?

Comment

Well,

About the roof, the fact that it's open (where you can see the sky) is cool enough for me. I didn't look at the map in the editor (I never do that for testing anyway). I mean, do players will pay attention on that part of the map while playing ? Since your not satisfied about his current state you may add other beams &/or change the angle with added neons or whatever lights but it's not mandatory imo.

Indeed a bit of crates & others items to break the line of sight in places where they fit is essential all around the map & not just around 1 weapon. At least, that is what I'm expecting to see in future release ?

A thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is ammo placement. Not that I don't like the fact they're on the crates but when you have the obligation to jump to collect them is turning somehow annoying after a while. Maybe just place them closer to the edge of the crate or placing them on the floor near the crate will be ok so the player don't have to constently jump on the crates to collect them ?

Comment

A thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is ammo placement. Not that I don't like the fact they're on the crates but when you have the obligation to jump to collect them is turning somehow annoying after a while. Maybe just place them closer to the edge of the crate or placing them on the floor near the crate will be ok so the player don't have to constently jump on the crates to collect them ?
                  humm... maybe wait the next beta version with the item placement complete, because my though here is to add 2 ammo-pickups by weapon on a easy access (regular placement along the floor) and put for few weapons one extra ammo-pickup a bit more difficult to obtain (a bit more, you just have to make a tiny jump to grab it ).

As for the top roof, I'm actually collecte some pics of real structure around the net to try to re-create it better. Of course nobody will really pay attention to that part of the map during the match, but it's not a reason to not try to increase this visual part too no? lol

Otherwise I just change the main wall texture with a better one, I like the result, I will put some update pic and you will give me your opinion

Thx for your suggestions, are always welcome !

Comment

Coming along nicely!

My primary suggestions would be to improve the lighting, as there is very little shadow and it's actually quite dark throughout.

I think when you improve the upper section & roof area, you'll want to allow more light in from an outside source, thereby providing some better light & dramatic shadowing.

I also think the round lights with the fog beam seem a little futuristic for an old warehouse... if you put some other mesh around the lamp, or something metal/warehousey that the lamp can sit upon it might give it more believeability for the theme.

But the layout is fun and the other meshwork is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                      ...humm... maybe wait the next beta version with the item placement complete, because my though here is to add 2 ammo-pickups by weapon on a easy access (regular placement along the floor) and put for few weapons one extra ammo-pickup a bit more difficult to obtain (a bit more, you just have to make a tiny jump to grab it )...
                      That will be good

Waiting for next beta ti-di-doum... ti-di-doum

Comment

Originally posted by Luv_Studd View Post
                        My primary suggestions would be to improve the lighting, as there is very little shadow and it's actually quite dark throughout.

I think when you improve the upper section & roof area, you'll want to allow more light in from an outside source, thereby providing some better light & dramatic shadowing.

I also think the round lights with the fog beam seem a little futuristic for an old warehouse... if you put some other mesh around the lamp, or something metal/warehousey that the lamp can sit upon it might give it more believeability for the theme.
                        Yes, as usual I start with a very darked place, I love that,maybe too much, but don't care about that, I will increase it !

As for the roof, I agree, it's exactly what I want to archieve, maybe a moon will provide the sky god light I need

As for the round lights, you speak about the light mesh, not the light volumetric mesh, correct?

I agree too, this one are just to have a source light actually, will be change by old light mesh if I found it....I have an old cone lamp mesh attach to chain, it will fit the theme better I think, I will try..

Thx for your suggestions Luv and I glad you like the gameplay too

Comment

Some update pics of my slowly work (with the new wall material created by Dr Judym, just fit very well the theme ) :

Garage angle 1
                          [screenshot]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6062/wrgarage05ed2.jpg[/screenshot]

Garage angle 2
                          [screenshot]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7782/wrgarage02sy9.jpg[/screenshot]
                          As you can see on this pic, I have add a passage on the right down side of the pic who leads to a new machineries room, under construction. this room is linked to the corridor in front of the tigspad too.

ShockRiffle corridor
                          [screenshot]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4660/wrgarage09tc1.jpg[/screenshot]

I have rework the under corridor, near the bio, to put the shield belt in this tide place !
                          [screenshot]http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7898/wrshieldbeltpc3.jpg[/screenshot]

Added some stocks ventilations all around the roof, like in this pic :
                          [screenshot]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4837/wrlinksw2.jpg[/screenshot]

And I work actually around the flack corner :
                          [screenshot]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9298/wrflackek3.jpg[/screenshot]

Beta004 will be available soon, with for the most part a visual improvement and a complete item placement...

Comment

B4 B4... wouhou... where are you

I wanted to mention that the last bunch of pics is looking good my Seb

Comment

I wanted to mention that the last bunch of pics is looking good my Seb
                              thx steve, I'm asking me if someone have take a look to the last pics, this beta section is really down, often the same guys who post here, but it's ok, it's some good guys and we are like in a familly here

As for beta004, don't know when, I progress very slowly actually, not enough time those days...

a+

Comment

Another little cracker!

Just a few minor issues IMO.

1. It's too dark. Way too dark, and consistently dark.
                                2. I am not a fan of the big box blocking the upper walkway (linking where you can drop down onto the berserk, and the sniper rifle). It would be better if that was removed, allowing 2 ways up to the sniper rifle. Should make camping up above a bit harder to do.
                                3. The lift is too basic - its just a floating piece of wood. Some indication of its mechanism would be good.

Definatlely like this one though - I hope you finish it!

Comment

Working...
                                X