Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XS Prototype: Grappler

Grappler

The Grappler is a large monowheeled vehicle mounted with several laser grapples capable of hooking onto terrain, friends or enemies.

Prototype preface
    XS prototypes are built to see if certain concepts work as well in practice as they look on paper, to see if our ideas can be realized and whether they are fun. This thread is meant to gather feedback and suggestions. Please post your thoughts and crazy ideas!

Current features
    • Mouse steering; the vehicle automatically steers the way you look.
    • Press Left or Right to fire a grapple to the side.
    • Grapples will anchor to terrain, enabling to you take sharp corners at high speeds.
    • Grapple lines are lasers that will slice anything they touch. They deal good damage to vehicles and will go right through most infantry. Try to roadkill people; if they jump aside, throw out a line and slice 'em!
    • Blocked grapple lines break.
    Known issues
    • The placeholder Scorpion model is nothing like a monowheel.
    • The Scorpion does not reach sufficient speeds to make really fast slingshot U-turns.
    Plans
    • Get some sort of monowheel to replace the Scorpion model.
    • You should be able to turn in place, like the Nemesis.
    • Fire and Altfire will fire a grapple at the crosshair. Grapple enemies.
    • If you use both the Fire and Altfire grapples, they will disconnect from the vehicle and connect to each other. Anchor enemies to the ground or to friends.
    • The Fire and Altfire grapples might automatically reel in. Swing from ceilings or reel in enemies.
    Prototype disclaimer
    XS prototypes are not meant to represent finished products. Custom graphics, balance tweaking, bot support, net support and extensive bugfixing are not part of the package.

Download

This seems like it should be a fast, low-friction hover vehicle rather than something on wheels, so that you could use the grapples to catapult yourself and really build up some speed (or height) with some clever use of the environment.

Comment

Now that you mention it, yes, low-friction hover could be great. You wouldn't be able to reel anything in... unless you anchor yourself to the ground using the Left and/or Right grapples. Good idea!

Comment

I'm sorry, i unzip these two Published/CookedPC/XS Right?

/Edit: Nevermind, i found the summon in the readme [/idiot]

The Camera sits fairly high for the vehicle, i can't see what i'm doing a lot of the time.

I feel it's health is too low. I tend to blow up with adept bots before getting a chance to really use it.

Feigning death when being near the vehicle seems to instantly kill ya. o.O

In the future, will it grapple towards where one is Aiming?

Despite it not doing any damage, my own teammates occasionally shot at me while i was driving it.

I like the idea of this vehicle, but right now it's only shooting straight to the left or right of the car. It seems to be about as useful as a bat turn, but the other problem is that the car seems to not reach a speed fast enough to use it, unless one uses the boost. By the time to boost is up to a usable speed, i often end up flinging myself into walls, and then blowing up. It's a fairly hectic vehicle, but right now it seems to be about as useful as a handbrake. I'll play with it more and see if i come up with some more useful ideas during my game with it.

Comment

The next version should grapple to the left or right when you press Left or Right (and should steer with the mouse, like the Manta). The fire buttons should fire grapples at the crosshair.

Comment

something i noticed.
            when you hold the fire and altfire buttons down while exiting the vehicle, one of the lines will remain active until you get back into the vehicle or the line breaks.

besides that, a very interesting vehicle idea

Comment

Originally posted by ScorpDK View Post
              when you hold the fire and altfire buttons down while exiting the vehicle, one of the lines will remain active until you get back into the vehicle or the line breaks.
              Shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                Shouldn't it?
                oh... well.
                I imagined either both lines stay active, or none at all.

Comment

I'd expect them both to remain active, but from your post I gather only one remains active... Odd.

Comment

So, i'm finding the more i use this vehicle, the more bored i'm becoming with it. The tight turns seem to rid the scorpion of it's speed rather quickly, so i'd assume that the one Wheel model would be a lot more agile, perhaps adding to it's fun. I'd also would think this vehicle would benefit from being a lot quicker. Till then, i think it has alot of potential, i can't wait for the next version!

Comment

well im not really getting bored with this vehicle. i feel it can be used in some sort of race...
                      just a quick sketch

Comment

i did that on VCTF_Suspense...too bad i didn't make screenshots. The scorpion was hanging in midair below the bridge, swinging around happily.

Comment

Update. See first post for details.

Highlights:
                          • Mouse steering.
                          • Left and Right movement keys now control the grapples.

Comment

this reminds me of an old sega PC game called rocket jockey. in it you rode around on a rocket that could shoot grappling hooks to the left and right. if you attached to something on one side and then grabbed something else on the other, the cables would drop from the back of the rocket and the two things would be elastically bound together.

the object of the game was to yank enemy pilots off of their rockets and stick them to something... such as:

a pole - which would allow you to come back and run them over
                            a bomb - to blow them up
                            or even another pilot - for massive points

it also had the functionality of grabbing a solid piece of environment to pull a tight turn and the ability to clothesline people off of their rockets.

my suggestion is that you consider allowing this vehicle to yank pilots out of vehicles with exposed cockpits (manta, viper, maybe others) the way the darkwalker can blow pilots out with the secondary attack.

Comment

So why is the camera where it is?
                              I'd like to be able to see the vehicle and the grapple lines for some feedback as to what the vehicle is actually doing.
                              Good to see you got the look steer working.

Comment

Working...
                              X