Clear All

DM-Station 12 (NOW FINAL)

Name: Station 12
    Map game type: TDM / DM
    Version: Release candidate 1
    Compatibility: UT3 1.3 or later
    Players: 8 - 12
    Description: English / French

Station 12 is one of many stations owned by the LRC. Situated on the top of a huge mountain on Alpha system, the station was established following a new discovery during a routine inspection of the soil. In fact, the rocks from the top of this mountain as well as is soil are composed of an energy out of the ordinary. This energy, spreads out from the rocks, it is a form of clean energy, clean enough to power electronic devices as well as certain defense system like the ION cannons. Some devices draw their power directly into the soil. This mountain is also developing a powerful magnetism enough powerful to have a circular field of asteroids. Which is very unusual? Small doses of this energy can be seen at some places; they have the effect of repulse any foreign body that comes close but are not dangerous. Unfortunately for the LRC, the rock energy combine with the high magnetism of this mountain causes the robots workers to malfunction. For various reasons, the LRC had to withdraw is workers robots just before the commissioning of the station and left the station available for future fighting since it is now useless.

Station 12 est l’une des nombreuses stations d’exploitation de la LRC. Située sur le sommet d’une immense montagne du système Alpha, cette station a été instaurée suite à une nouvelle découverte lors d’une inspection de routine des sols. En fait, les roches du haut de ce montage ainsi que son sol sont composées d’une énergie hors de l’ordinaire. Cette énergie, s’émane de la roche en une forme d’énergie propre non polluante assez puissante pour alimenter des appareils électroniques ainsi que certain système de défense comme les cannons à ION. Certains appareils puisent leur énergie directement dans le sol. Cette montagne développe aussi un magnétisme assez puissant pour y avoir un champ circulaire d’astéroïdes. Ce qui est hors du commun? De petites doses de cette énergie peuvent être perçues à quelques endroits, elles ont pour effet de propulser tout corps étranger qui s’en approche mais ne sont pas dangereuses. Malheureusement pour la LRC, l’émanation de cette énergie combinée avec le magnétisme de cette montagne très élevé provoque de mauvais fonctionnement chez les robots ouvriers. Pour plusieurs raisons, la LRC à dû retirer ses robots ouvriers juste avant la mise en service de cette station & la laisse disponible pour de futurs combats puisqu’elle s’avère inutilisable.

[screenshot]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5377/rc13kf7.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4927/rc10oj0.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9095/rc12cn5.jpg[/screenshot]

Download: THE MAP IS NOW FINAL, GO IN THE FINAL THREAD FOR THE DOWNLOAD LINKS. HAVE FUN !

Last progress for the final:

- Add another jump pad near the helmet for a quicker access to the ION cannon platform.
    - Add blocking volume around all the big exterior lamps & adjust all the SM collisions.
    - Add blocking volume near the center side entrance where there are crates & barrels & adjust all the SM collisions.
    - Add blocking volume all the way near the stairs / rocks / wall near the Link gun & adjust all the SM collisions.
    - Add a lot of defense point at strategic spots, bots will give you some hard time
    - Add 'metallic' sound on all the crate platform SM & other materials.
    - Add the name 'Station 12' on 3 walls. The logos are a courtesy of SEBASTIEN-NOVA.
    - Fix the rare "hanging" while falling between the columns from the tower roof.
    - Increase the terrain shadows.
    - Readjust the doors blocking volume on the center tower.
    - Refine ALL the sounds settings except the music track. Radius as increase & volume modulation as being modified.
    - Realign some SM.
    - Redone all the player starts location, again... I was able to add some more.
    - Various minors visuals changes here & there.

Credits: Me, Epic. All the folks that have help me so far are mentioned in the final thread & in the included text file (in wri format).

D/L ...really happy to visit yer station

thx for french description; it explain all what we need to know...and more....(bit too long in my opinion )...but "better too long" than "too short"
    i m gonna try it and i ll tell you if i my ut3 crash (my specs are "close" to urs but in a AMD way)

thx for ur work mate ; it look nice

Comment

This map is very cool, very impressive. I really like the idea of the large open cavern filled with platforms and walkways connected by jump pads, very cool indeed. It reminds me a little of the current Prince of Persia level im on which is a big cavern filled with platforms that you need to jump between which is lots of fun.

I didn't find any bots shooting at walls (normally they were shooting at me)
      I also had the music stopping problem that you mention and it locked up once out of three times that i played
      You need to make a readme

Some very minor and unimportant things that you might want to fix below (tbh this map looks good enough that you could probably ignore all of these but as i know you're a perfectionist i thought i'd point them out)

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_rockbridge.jpg[/screenshot]
      This rock bridge looks a little unnatural. You should make it seem more like part of the caver by adding some support underneath so that it doesn't look quite so angular

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_redlights.jpg[/screenshot]
      There seem to be some red light beams coming out of these white lights

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_platform.jpg[/screenshot]
      This platform looks like a cake. I think you should remove the little spikey rocks here

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_blur.jpg[/screenshot]
      Theres some badly mapped texture here, probably part of the original mesh so probably nothing you can do except try and hide it underneath another object perhaps

There also seem to be lots of differences in texture resolution between different rock objects. This makes them not blend together too easily. I think this is caused by having meshes that have been increased in scale sitting next to ones that have been decreased in scale. Pretty minor and happens alot in the stock maps as well but always looks a little strange to me

Brilliant map, great gameplay and excellent visuals, a real treat, its a good thing you started making maps imo

Comment

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
        D/L ...really happy to visit yer station

thx for french description; it explain all what we need to know...and more....(bit too long in my opinion )...but "better too long" than "too short"
        i m gonna try it and i ll tell you if i my ut3 crash (my specs are "close" to urs but in a AMD way)

thx for ur work mate ; it look nice
        Indeed, more is better than not enough in this case.

Cool, just let me know, hope you like it

Comment

Originally posted by yubnub View Post
          ...You need to make a readme...
          You have a text file include (*.wri) with every info you need

Some very minor and unimportant things that you might want to fix below (tbh this map looks good enough that you could probably ignore all of these but as i know you're a perfectionist i thought i'd point them out)
          Yup, you made the right choice I'll answer all of your points.

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_rockbridge.jpg[/screenshot]
          This rock bridge looks a little unnatural. You should make it seem more like part of the caver by adding some support underneath so that it doesn't look quite so angular
          I'll recheck & see if I can do something about it.

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_redlights.jpg[/screenshot]
          There seem to be some red light beams coming out of these white lights
          Mmm... the lights are red, not white but not as red as the beam. They do look more white than on my pc ? Maybe it is related to your PP settings ? I use the default setting. I'll check that a bit more.

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_platform.jpg[/screenshot]
          This platform looks like a cake. I think you should remove the little spikey rocks here
          Dude, I laugh like crazy lolll I'll remove some rocks.

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/blushing/stevelois/station12_blur.jpg[/screenshot]
          Theres some badly mapped texture here, probably part of the original mesh so probably nothing you can do except try and hide it underneath another object perhaps

There also seem to be lots of differences in texture resolution between different rock objects. This makes them not blend together too easily. I think this is caused by having meshes that have been increased in scale sitting next to ones that have been decreased in scale. Pretty minor and happens alot in the stock maps as well but always looks a little strange to me
          Well, the rock you point out in the last pic as being reduced from his original size, it is worst in his normal size. I can do nothing about it except put a rock on top of it but I don't want to do that because I have already to much triangle rendered & I think it is the cause of my problems (aka engine overloading). For the rocks, it is all the same material, but not the same meshes package. In real life, you have very different rocks type side by side so in that aspect, it doesn't bother me but it is a good thing you mention it.

Brilliant map, great gameplay and excellent visuals, a real treat, its a good thing you started making maps imo
          THX

THX for taking the time to write & upload the pics

Comment

so sweet i get the chang too play the map your working on for so long its a great map

looks good too no problems with fps it runs smood

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
              so sweet i get the chang too play the map your working on for so long its a great map

looks good too no problems with fps it runs smood
              My preferred cat

You didn't have any sound problem ?

How about FPS, how much did you have ?

Comment

sound work good funny music
                i have a fps of 50 60 i run at 1900@ 1200 8800gts

edit: mising texsture http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2...exsturezz0.jpg

Comment

nice stevelois I'll have to check this out. I'll let you know how it goes

-EJon

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
                    sound work good funny music i have a fps of 50 60 i run at 1900@ 1200 8800gts

edit: mising texsture http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2...exsturezz0.jpg
                    Ha ha, yeah, the music style is "up lifting trance". It is very old (like 1998-99) but I wanted to have something "soft, techy, ryhtmic & fast". I know it won't please everyone but anyway, you can't please every one

That is great FPS at that resolution

That missing texture is very odd, I'm surprise

Look like I'll have some things to address in beta 2 !

THX

Comment

Originally posted by EpicJon View Post
                      nice stevelois I'll have to check this out. I'll let you know how it goes

-EJon
                      Yep, Enjoy

Comment

yoo steve just tryed yer baby and as expected...look very nice:

the athmosphere is first quality of ur map and all is built with accuracy;solid gameplay with nice visuals...i especially like the rocks & sky parts

what i ve note that "hurted" me:

-like u said bots are sometimes waiting something ...facing walls

-u cant go through those two "screens" even if u have the visual feeling to be abble to do it and if u walk close to them u are blocked at the end of them ;perhaps good to add a little blocking volume to fludify ur moove around them

fps and bug:

-just run it with fraps on and during 2,30 minutes all was ok with fps over 50

-2,30mn:all sounds crashed down,,,,no sound for the end of the game

-3,00mn:fps slowed down to20

-3,30mn:fps goes slowly down to 2 and after some hesitations and temporary freezes goes up to 20 to stabilise around 30 my ut havent crash down but it was the limit lol

excellent job and gl to fix thoses details

Comment

Ok, just got finished playing an im a little dissapointed. My game crashed at about 5 minutes into gameplay. The map lags a little, and im running on a dual core with a 9800 GT card from nVidia. So im guessing you have too much stuff in your map. I liked what i've seen so far, its very different, in a good way. very original. The music however, got a bit annoying after a while. So as soon as a new beta comes out, or you have a solution for the crashing, i'll be playing again

-EJon

Comment

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
                            yoo steve just tryed yer baby and as expected...look very nice:

the athmosphere is first quality of ur map and all is built with accuracy;solid gameplay with nice visuals...i especially like the rocks & sky parts

what i ve note that "hurted" me:

-like u said bots are sometimes waiting something ...facing walls

-u cant go through those two "screens" even if u have the visual feeling to be abble to do it and if u walk close to them u are blocked at the end of them ;perhaps good to add a little blocking volume to fludify ur moove around them

fps and bug:

-just run it with fraps on and during 2,30 minutes all was ok with fps over 50

-2,30mn:all sounds crashed down,,,,no sound for the end of the game

-3,00mn:fps slowed down to20

-3,30mn:fps goes slowly down to 2 and after some hesitations and temporary freezes goes up to 20 to stabilise around 30 my ut havent crash down but it was the limit lol

excellent job and gl to fix thoses details
                            Originally posted by EpicJon View Post
                            Ok, just got finished playing an im a little dissapointed. My game crashed at about 5 minutes into gameplay. The map lags a little, and im running on a dual core with a 9800 GT card from nVidia. So im guessing you have too much stuff in your map. I liked what i've seen so far, its very different, in a good way. very original. The music however, got a bit annoying after a while. So as soon as a new beta comes out, or you have a solution for the crashing, i'll be playing again

-EJon
                            So you encounter the same thing as me about FPS drops and after it gets unplayable, snif snif...

I don't get it. In spec mode, I've fool around like 10 mins, everything is normal, after you start the level, like 3 mins later the music is cutting & the game begin to be unplayable, WTH ?! I got no error while doing a full rebuild nor cooking the map ?

The other problem with the bots thing is driving me nuts ! I just don't understand why they do this ?

I did another version after with no music, but even without recooking, just make a full build & save, the map wasn't more playable

At least, I'm going to put a blocking volume between the 2 screens.

For these bugs, I will ask the pros & others that are more skillful than me because I'm blocked at this moment. But at least, Beta 1 is very helpful

THX guy's for your comments

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                              The other problem with the bots thing is driving me nuts ! I just don't understand why they do this ?
                              It's driving me nuts because if the bots continue to do this, it doesn't make the map all that playable offline. I saw another map do this too, but could never figure it out.

I just think the bots hate something in your map, which isn't another player! I did some testing and I may have found the problem. I figured, there must be something in that genral direction that is driving the bots nuts and thus they feel compelled to kill it.

I stood in front of the thigh pad looking towards the outside of the map, then I started deleting static meshes until I could see the outside of the map (earlier I deleted alot of the brushes that made up the tower, but that didn't work).

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-station12l_feedback_pic_1.jpg[/screenshot]

I did a rebuild/cooked and played for about 5 mins and the bots seemed happy to kill everyone except that part of the map. Let me know if the sames happens for you.

If it works for you, you will have to figure out what mesh is causing the problem, at least, it's a starting point? Let me know if I can say the magic words?

p.s. I will give you other feedback later.

p.s.s. I am a big fan of not having any error messages after a build all/cook. I received a few on on each, which you might want to correct. I know some are relatively harmless, but it doesn't hurt to get rid of as many as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X