No announcement yet.

DM-Glacial Release Candidate 1 [Screenshots of RC1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First this is a really good map, it has good flow and a great layout. The only thing that bothered me was the visuals. The rocks are too jagged and look like BSP, you should smooth them a bit. Also the lighting is too monotonous, I understand that you wanted to maintain a cold atmosphere but you could some green or yellow to add some contrast and still maintain the cold feel. You should maybe add some frosting in the floor or some light fog near the floor to make feel colder. Maybe even some fog emitter. Just a few suggestions, I hope I was helpful.

Comment

wow dude like the colors that you chose but, I can't compare it to UT2k4 because I never played it.

Comment

I like very much the map so far. Very nice visuals, very stylish & a great architecture. Visually it is very nice except few stretched textures like Sebastien-Nova as point out. I second what he point out except the health lit that I don't give a ****

I have other things to add.

Flow :

You have ammo near all weapons & long space where it is completely empty. First, visually, the empty space look even more empty since there is nothing to "cut" the view. Second, it doesn't encourage the player to move since it have the weapon + the ammo just beside each other. It only encourage camping.

There are some spot that there is 2-3 ammo very close & nothing in other rooms.

Personally, I never like the same weapon used twice in DM. There are 2 link gun. One of them could be replaced by the Dual Enforcer, a classic

For that aspect, I suggest that you dispose the ammo more far away from the weapon. These pics are just examples :

[screenshot]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1073/screenshot00007ax0.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2548/screenshot00006bv3.jpg[/screenshot]

I also notice that you place a playerstart near the flack. This is not a good idea IMO because 1- it is to close of one of the most powerful weapon of this game, 2- also to close of the most powerful armor, 3- it remove all the chalenge of getting these 2 precious items.

I also think that the flack is to close to the corridor & should be move more close to the center of this room since it's the main attraction.

Visuals :

The rocks joints/lines are very obvious, hope you will add something there later.

[screenshot]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/267/screenshot00002qb8.jpg[/screenshot]

Just turn yourself to your right from the previous pic and :

In blue = the soil texture look washed out & doesn't fit with the surrounding in term of details/visual quality.
        In purple = if you go on the rock there, moving or not, the player is push toward the ice to your left?
        Yellow = the landing on the plateform must be adjusted, you land veeeeery close to the edge or not at all falling just in front of the jump pad.

[screenshot]http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1517/screenshot00004bg0.jpg[/screenshot]

I think it is the room at the right from the previous pic, not sure. I'm passing trough the stairs :

[screenshot]http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/333/screenshot00005bp6.jpg[/screenshot]

Like you told me about my CTF map, I'll follow that map very closely

Great potential & I like what I saw so far

Comment

Originally posted by wael View Post
          First this is a really good map, it has good flow and a great layout. The only thing that bothered me was the visuals. The rocks are too jagged and look like BSP, you should smooth them a bit. Also the lighting is too monotonous, I understand that you wanted to maintain a cold atmosphere but you could some green or yellow to add some contrast and still maintain the cold feel. You should maybe add some frosting in the floor or some light fog near the floor to make feel colder. Maybe even some fog emitter. Just a few suggestions, I hope I was helpful.
          Thanks!
          The rocks are just placeholders. I am sure you will see something much better in future. I am still trying different lighting combination, and yes, I know it's pretty monotonous and it's the difficult part. As it's a hard choice for me to make between an "unique" style(usually something not familiar and uncomfortable) and a nice fashion(pure beauty and most people like it). The frost stuff or fog, yes, I will add them sometime in the later version. Like fog or even steam emitters around the waterfall.

Comment

Stevelois,
            That's just different philosophy of item placement.

My points are:
            1) Ammos must be somewhere easy for player to take
            2) Ammo placement must be easy to remember
            3) Need risk to compensate for taking items (this is not really important for ammos, but I usually don't tend to place them in a safe corner)
            4) Not many people camp for ammos, as we get many important things to control
            5) As for item control, player like to control spots/points or short lines

So, based on these, I'd like to:

a) Place at least one ammo near each weapon.
            b) Place ammos in groups, which means they are not evenly scattered. (especially based on 2) and 5) )

Of course, as you may noticed from my previous maps, I am heavily influenced by those "pro" gameplay in quake, when design this type of map.

But still, I understand your point, I must go back and recheck every ammo placement!

Two same weapons in one map, that was common at least in UT99. This map was initially designed for TDM, so more weapons are necessary. Check Shangrila, it has 2 links, 2 stingers, and 2 snipers.
            I don't think we have Enforcer class in the weaponbase properties.
            You are right about the playerstarts. They were something I placed there very long ago and I am going to rebuild them after all of the item placements are solid.
            As for the flak, it's something very tricky. Yes, looks like it's better if it was in the middle of this room. But unless I remove it from this room, it is still close to the belt and not really further when compared to the current location.
            And there is something slightly different.
            1) For the current location, player can observe it and ambush from higher level (the sniper walkway, or the door next to the stinger) very easily, and the enemy somewhat intend to retreat into that tunnel.
            2) If it was in the middle, just close to the pillar, it would be much more hidden, and not that risky to take the flak(for careful player). And when being attack, the enemy with the flak, tends to retreat into the big house behind the flak room.

About the problems in the pictures, forget about the ugly hills and the weird textures, they are just placeholders.
            You are pushed toward left, as there is going to be moving water;p Right now just no visual stuff at all.
            I will tune that jumppad, nice find
            Which stairs you passed through? I can't see the last image. It seems broken.

Nice comments and I appreciate your help;p!

Originally posted by Luv_Studd View Post
            happy to see this one getting it's time in the limelight - very good map!
            Yes it's time to finish it;p

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
            I have make some rounds on it,

first, some visuals stuffs I have notice in spectator view :
            The background need to be finish (it's a beta of course) :
            This place could be polished a bit and the texture water look stretch on the falling part :
            The texture is really stretch on this mesh :
            I hope you will change this unfitted texture in the grid :
            And I think you should keep the lighting as it is, it's fit to the glacial theme.
            The only odd lighting come from the Health pickup, yes not fitted with the rest of the map, to much contrast IMO.
            After have playing some matches on it, I think the flow is really good and fast. Lot's of z-axis fighting, we can grab a weapon quickly, many escape way...
            I love the flack's room, a real bloody place here !
            Just one suggestion, maybe I'm too lazy, but why you don't make the stairs in this room fitted to the floor ?
            I think the flow can be better arround the flack if we can run on this stairs without jump.
            Anyway, a really good map here, I wait the final version, shure it's a keeper
            Thank you very much for finding these graphic problems and taking screenshots.
            But don't bother too much about the visual flaw like stretch or mesh missing. I am going to fix them in later versions. Tell me more about the setting, the lighting, the materials, and crazy ideas of how to make it vivid, and also the gameplay.
            About the stairs:
            - That platform above the belt tunnel, is very nice for camper or someone who wants to stop enemy from going back after having the belt. And there are vials on that platform. So, it could be too easy or helpful if you can move up smoothly from the floor.
            - A double jump is needed so that sometimes in hot combat it's more risky to go up there. Also it's not that easy to get the vials, otherwise I am sure most people will just run up for the vials and drop off to get the vest, which makes the tunnel kinda pointless.

Comment

it's fantastic.really clean and really good-looking..i like so much !

Comment

Well, for the dual Enforcer, there is a trick to add it because it's not listed in the weapons menu. Let me know if you want to add it.

The stairs I fall to is around the middle of the map on the lowest floor. In the pic, 'im facing the RL ammo. Just check that angle where you have the ammo & you will find the faulty stair.

Comment

Hey chonglee

Any update on this map ?

Comment

I rather like this map. However, it is visually a bit bland. Have you considered using colour on the outside areas ? Even a sunset, or some greenery instead of the grey rocks. You may feel that spoils the concept, but it would add interest to the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      Hey chonglee

Any update on this map ?
                      Sadly Chonglee hasn't posted in the forums since 8/3/09 .

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                        Sadly Chonglee hasn't posted in the forums since 8/3/09 .
                        I know, but sometime showing interest is enough to bring some motivation to the mapper

It is very promising none the less

Comment

Sorry guys, I have not been mapping for a long time. I really want to finish this one but the visual of this map bothers me a lot, and I am thinking maybe I should redo it overall, which means at least a few more months...

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                            I really want to finish this one but the visual of this map bothers me a lot, and I am thinking maybe I should redo it overall, which means at least a few more months...
                            NO!!! the visual is awesome and so subtile, you just have to polished a bit the map and release it !!

Comment

Sorry guys, I have not been mapping for a long time. I really want to finish this one but the visual of this map bothers me a lot, and I am thinking maybe I should redo it overall, which means at least a few more months...

i totally agree with seb the map is very nice and dont need a lot to be a keeper; your style is nice...keep it up & thx for your work mate

Comment

Not at all mate !

You have a winner in your hands & it's already nice & what it need is polishing not change it.

The layout is fun, item placement is almost done, the material is nice looking, just polish it & "we" will be very happy

Don't tell me I'm following this great piece of maps since I test it months ago for nothing come on

Comment

Working...
                                X