Name:
    Glacial

Version:
    Release Candidate 1

Compatibility:
    PC
    PS3

Description:
    A church locates in a place of ice and snow, and active volcano which is going to erupt.

Comments:
    This was another map I ever planned to release for UCMP. The first version was long ago as we were still playing UT2004. I got inspired by a map from CPMA: CPM14. I guess some of you maybe still remember what it is. I also liked the illumination in a few q3 maps(yes, again) though I don't remember the names.
    So I began to design this, for UT2004, the early version was kinda like "GrendelKeep" meets "CPM14", but as I was pretty busy with another map, I didn't finish this one before UT3 came out.
    I really liked the basic layout, so I decided to port it for UT3, more precisely, remake everything, as the movement system is really different.

Changes in the latest version:
    - Refined AO textures
    - Statues and relief
    - Fixed collision bugs
    - New textures for the buildings
    - Balanced the whole tune of the map
    - More lighting contrast. Some areas are darker and the shadows are more visible
    - Mesh for the lifts
    - Improved portal visual
    - Lamp and torch. and the particles for lighting
    - Improved the lava abyss and the falling to death effect
    - Footstep sound added
    - Ambient sound effects added
    - Fixed UV problems for the floor textures
    - AI pathing improved
    - Short video added as map preview
    - And many other small improvements and refinements

Changes in old versions:

Version31
    - Normalmap
    - Fake AO textures
    - Lightmap
    - Tuned diffuse textures
    - Specular
    - Collision
    - New meshes for the cross and the portal
    - many other small ones

Version 27
    - Texture mapping for the whole map
    - Added SMesh details
    - Added Enforcer
    - New location for Thighpad
    - Tuned vials locations
    - Bio rifle is now where the Thighpad was
    - Removed one Stinger
    - New locations for Stinger and Linkgun

Version 24
    - A lot of layout modifications which I don't bother to list them here, but you can check the below pictures for some of them
    - Visually reset. So it's going to be Roman + Gothic, and have lots of broken stuff like pillars or walls (not that much to make it a over decorated map) which of course inspired by Painkiller. And still keep the neat HOLP style
    - Remade the whole map with 3dsmax so no BSP
    - Changed item placement

Screenshot:

Video:
    Some of the jumps you can do in this map:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPrCrxe5i-8

Credits:
    EPIC //For creating UT3 and the Mod tools
    Valve //Some textures of this map are based on HL2 textures
    PCF //One or two textures are based on Painkiller. And the whole visual style is inspired by this game
    idsoft and CPMA //The gameplay-wised layout is inspired by CPMA maps
    UCMP guys:
    Luv_Studd
    G.Lecter
    barballs
    Slainchild
    Sjosz
    Zio
    ArcadiaVincennes
    And others...

* Also thanks to the guys for comments and support, in random order:
    stevelois
    J3FFyB
    Bret Hart
    Brits__Hit
    EpicJon
    KamilR
    wael
    SEBASTIEN-NOVA
    Mr.UglyPants
    Hellclown
    djroby
    TIPPER
    M^vL
    Bl!tz~
    Lord_PorkSword
    pan1978108
    Albert M
    molosev
    »TheHitMan«
    rulaman
    Taffy
    GreatEmerald
    razer121
    WedgeBob
    milb
    TurdDrive
    Darkdrium
    Waffnuffly
    Ignotium
    Bi()ha2arD
    HedgeMaster
    Thrallala
    DarkSonny
    medoo
    hiyizi
    miaozzZ
    Paperfly
    AMIO
    qwer
    zkboss
    xinger
    Porky

Homepage:
    https://sites.google.com/site/chongleevoxels/

Download:

PC Version:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...lacial-RC1.zip

PS3 Version:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...al-RC1-PS3.zip

As for visual, I want something very neat. I tried black and white only, but that was too difficult to tune the lights, the gray scale, the materials. So I still added a little color in it.
    This one is going to be very tricky, when comes to lighting, I think.
    As for gameplay, TDM and control-based.

Comment

He he, already another one

At first sight, it is very 2004'ish. I like these very much. I don't think you need to add much more colors because it look nice that way, modern & clean.

Dwn now, comments later

Comment

Yeah I can't wait;p
        I will not touch any editor but have a nice vocation with my family for a few weeks, so I'd like to post it and see the feedback during this time.

Comment

Lookin good I'll have to try it out

Comment

The map is bigger than it looks on the screenshots, that´s a big PLUS but the map deservers some more colour.

The guys from id software just a released a new map for Quake Live which has a different color theme for each height level of the map. That really makes for competetive gameplay and gives the map a special look. Please consider something similar.

This way it´s pretty strange that everything looks same but then you have the colored spots for the armor vest and the health packs which just don´t suit the whole design at all.

Comment

Very cool. Like Sabr, this has a really clean, crisp look to it

I agree with J3FFyB though about the colour. Don't be afraid to add a bit in to make areas distinct.

Also, chonglee, you should posts links to your maps in your sig as easy access for people who are interested in more of your maps

Comment

Your lighting needs to be rebuilt

-EJon

Comment

nice n clean

very stylish buildforms

Comment

Originally posted by J3FFyB View Post
                    The map is bigger than it looks on the screenshots, that´s a big PLUS but the map deservers some more colour.

The guys from id software just a released a new map for Quake Live which has a different color theme for each height level of the map. That really makes for competetive gameplay and gives the map a special look. Please consider something similar.

This way it´s pretty strange that everything looks same but then you have the colored spots for the armor vest and the health packs which just don´t suit the whole design at all.
                    I will check quake live. I want to try something very unique that no one ever did it, but that's really tricky. I added colored spots just to make sure, gameplay-wised you can find the pickups very easilly. But yes for now that's just a test and I really want see your opnions and then do more test to look for the solution.
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by Brits__Hit View Post
                    Very cool. Like Sabr, this has a really clean, crisp look to it

I agree with J3FFyB though about the colour. Don't be afraid to add a bit in to make areas distinct.

Also, chonglee, you should posts links to your maps in your sig as easy access for people who are interested in more of your maps
                    Thx for remind me about the sig. I will add the links.

Comment

ln;wt
                      Looks nice will test. Just thought I should introduce this abbreviation. But seriously ln;wt.

Comment

happy to see this one getting it's time in the limelight - very good map!

Comment

Just what I love, the style looks awesome pure !
                          And as I have keep all your ut2k4 maps, I'm shure this one is a rock too, I D/L it right know !

Comment

Jeez, looks great.

Comment

I have make some rounds on it,

first, some visuals stuffs I have notice in spectator view :

The background need to be finish (it's a beta of course) :
                              [Screenshot]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8532/screenshot000281lk2.jpg[/Screenshot]

This place could be polished a bit and the texture water look stretch on the falling part :
                              [Screenshot]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/4858/screenshot00026zs4.jpg[/Screenshot]

The texture is really stretch on this mesh :
                              [Screenshot]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8161/screenshot00030hz5.jpg[/Screenshot]

I hope you will change this unfitted texture in the grid :
                              [Screenshot]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4734/screenshot00027ff1.jpg[/Screenshot]

And I think you should keep the lighting as it is, it's fit to the glacial theme.
                              The only odd lighting come from the Health pickup, yes not fitted with the rest of the map, to much contrast IMO.

After have playing some matches on it, I think the flow is really good and fast. Lot's of z-axis fighting, we can grab a weapon quickly, many escape way...
                              I love the flack's room, a real bloody place here !
                              Just one suggestion, maybe I'm too lazy, but why you don't make the stairs in this room fitted to the floor ?
                              [Screenshot]http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9104/screenshot00031oc7.jpg[/Screenshot]
                              I think the flow can be better arround the flack if we can run on this stairs without jump.

Anyway, a really good map here, I wait the final version, shure it's a keeper

[Screenshot]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6366/screenshot00032nd3.jpg[/Screenshot]

Comment

Working...
                              X