Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

VCTF-Skyline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-Skyline

Name: VCTF-Skylinecity
    Version: 1.3 Beta
    Compatibility: PC (feel free to cook for ps3 tho)
    Description:
    During the Axon-Liandri war there had been a nuclear detonation in the city of Alteria. After the war Liandri recovered the site and used it for the tournament.
    Comments:
    My first map, tested it a few times, already fixed both pathing a lot of times
    Known Bugs:
    1)Bots sometimes get stuck with the tank and paladin
    2)Some mesh errors like the invisible garage ceiling or the lamp posts, don't know how to export these meshes so no fix in near future

Screenshot:
    v1.1b :
    1 2 3

V1.3b

Credits:
    Hourences tutorials and readme example.
    You, the one spending time on reading all this and posting here.

Download

Might want to come up with a better sky, and some better lighting as well. Also it would be cool if you made the buildings and the rest of the game world look a bit more like a rebuilt city scape. IE some parts of the game world should still be in shambles.

Note: Just some ideas to toss around it's a great looking map so fare!

Comment

Lighting yeah, i've read tons of guides about it but I have no clue where to start, however i'm planning on redoing lighting as soon as I get the meshes fixed, which brings us back to the fact my computer refuses to export and conver them...
      Any help is appreciated, a 3ds version of the buildings in the HU_City pack would really help an enormously big ammount.

The sky however, I will check the internet, look outside and see if I can find something, there should be a fix for it in the near future.

A thing I noticed as well, in UT2004 there is a bombing run map named Skyline, I will change the name of my map to SkylineCity on the next update.

Comment

High Res Skydome Textures

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=603122

Go to third page for download from a third party.

DGUnreal has some sky textures/meshes etc as well. Many, many more available here:

http://www.lilchips.com/dgunreal/ut3-skies.asp

As far as lighting goes, you should have a direction light placed at a sharp angle coming from where the sunset appears to be (assuming you stick with a sunset type skydome). That will create nice shadows, which adds a lot to the appearance. Then create point lights for each street light, depending on whether the sky you choose is a day time or dusk type skydome.

Then I would recommend a height fog actor to add some haze in the distance. Then maybe consider adding some DOF to enhance that and even some bloom if it's a night/dusk map. You can set that using the world properties view ---> default post processing.

Tutorials to help with all this:
        How to create lighting in the editor: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html
        The basics of how lighting works in general: http://book.hourences.com/booklighting.htm
        Fog: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3fog.htm
        Finishing touches: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutori...aringlevel.htm
        Optimizing for frame rates: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelOptimization.html

Comment

I have heightfog added already, but i don't really like the look of it, isn't there something like dynamic fog, so it looks like there actually is some wind?

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
            As far as lighting goes, you should have a direction light placed at a sharp angle coming from where the sunset appears to be (assuming you stick with a sunset type skydome). That will create nice shadows, which adds a lot to the appearance. Then create point lights for each street light, depending on whether the sky you choose is a day time or dusk type skydome.
            You can keep the skylight in, but reduce the brightness to about .05 for ambient light so the shadows aren't pitch black.

You'll also want to import everything into a package with the same name as the map. This way you won't have any external packages. This normally causes problems when you try to run it on a server.

The level looks promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastenator View Post
              I have heightfog added already, but i don't really like the look of it, isn't there something like dynamic fog, so it looks like there actually is some wind?
              Yes, check the fog tutorial link I posted. At the bottom of the page look for "animated fog."

Comment

Reedited all of the outside playzone buildings, they should vary more now. I placed aditional health and armor pick ups and even another powerup. put all of the meshes into the VCTF_Skylinecity map so theres no additional files.

Also placed a directional light, (it really makes a diferrence) but i've bumped into some issues whe, building the lighting, When the lights have been built the directional light seems to have disappeared. I don't know the cause of this but it is quite weird...

Comment

Turn off "Cast Shadows" on the skydome mesh.

Comment

Don't know what the problem was but been fidling with the light settings and it works now.

Comment

Yeah, when you add a direction light, you'll need to set bCastCompositeShadow, bCastDynamicShadows, bCastShadows and bCastStaticShadows all to false on the Sky Dome.

You can leave the skylight in, just reduce the value to around .05 or less. You can play around with this number. The skylight is just for ambient light so the shadows aren't pitch black.

How's the map coming along?

Comment

Update !
                        Version 1.2b now avaible

Sniper, do you happen to be the hedsteem server host?

Comment

Originally posted by Beastenator View Post
                          Sniper, do you happen to be the hedsteem server host?
                          I am one of the admins, yes.

Comment

Hmm, would it be possible to run this map on your vctf server? i'll keep pdating skylinecitytill it's flawless (bugwise)

Comment

We could probably run it on our test server. I'll let you know whatever bugs we find.

Comment

Working...
                              X