• Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-ArchCliffs (ONS-RedPlanet)

Name: WAR-ArchCliffs
    Version: RC 2
    Compatibility: PC
    Description: Remake of ONS-RedPlanet.
    Comments: Included ini file provides 2 different link setups. The map has been scaled down slightly from the original and the theme has changed entirely.
    Credits: Thanks to Epic Games for creating the original.
    Download: http://www.dogsofwarusa.com/dow/b1gd...DogUT3Maps.zip

Wow that looks amazing bigdog. Nice work. Redplanet used to be one of my favorites out of the old stock maps. Do u mind if we add it to our pc server(Onslaught 2.0) and cook for ps3? I'm sure it's of great quality like your other beauties but I can't wait to test this badboy!!! Thx for sharing

Comment

ONS 2.0 is exactly what I had in mind. Cook it up for the ps3 as well.

Comment

cool BD, come play with us tonight on GOW server

Comment

Really really nice remake of RedPlanet.

Plays really well, Nice Job and thanks.

Comment

Are you by chance going to make an orb version of your latest maps? I know your a big onslaught player but it would be nice for us WAR guys thx big

Comment

Thanks Shade.

You know Nootsac, I've never even really thought of adding orbs to my ONS maps. I'll have to give that some thought. At this point it would only be to a couple of them since they are in beta form.

Comment

I support the addition of orbs. Please add them! I love the ONS maps, but I love Warfare, not ONS. It's just a small step to create a link setup that includes the orb spawners. If you just have them at the cores, it limits the orb's domination and helps to maintain the ONS balance while still allowing Warfare players to feel at home.

It looks great! Unless you object, I'll be including this in the upcoming map event on Dec 20th. Keep up the good work!

Comment

I'd welcome the use of the map in your event. Let me know of any problems with it that I might need to fix.

Comment

Hi BigDog, again a nice and good remake from you too! GG!

But dont you have forgotten something in the map? something big, like a leviathan at the base? :P
                    RedPlanet needs its leviathan at start ^^

Your map seems have no problems with blocking volumes or invisibles walls , but it coul find one texture bug:

I noticed that tarrydium cristal give damages to vehicles and on foot players, is it normal?

At some places, if you go in raptor at the top of rocks/mantains you can stay stucked in littles holes. To me, its not important, because guys who go there are campers, so they just will have to be careful or use impact hammer. There is just a big one here:

Last thing, is the choice of turrets, on one hand, have 2 shock turrets at prime could be good until you lose your primary, on the other hand, i can already imagine the shock spam defense for oppoent incoming from the base, and they will be annihilated:

Stinger turret at middle, ok why not, but for middle east and west nodes, shock + rocket turret, i dont know... i would prefer have normal turret, like in the original RedPlanet, or you know i am a fan of rail turret ( which IMO are not enough seen in WAR maps), maybe it could be fun to have all strucrre nodes arounded by a circle rail (like Downtown middle node), and each turret could move on a quarter of the circle. Its just an idea but it could be cool.

You did a great job with this remake! and well all stock UT2004 maps are now remade: Torlan, Frosbite, RedPlanet, Dria, Dawn, Arctic, Crossfire, so applause for BigDog and Sanch3z for their work!
                    Can we imagine you will continue to do ONS official remakes like Adara, Icarus, IslandHop, Urban...or other great custom ONS maps?

Comment

Tenebre, what would us WAR mappers do without your reviews? Good stuff.

Going through the rocks, yup, it can be a big problem on maps with scaling up the rocks so much. It exaggerates the fact that the collisions on those static meshes isn't quite exact. I've tried to go through and minimize that problem as much as possible on the map, but it looks like you found one that slipped through the cracks. Thanks!

The crystals giving damage? Yes, that was intentional. The original had glowing stalks in it so I decided to use glowing crystals in mine. They were kind of boring so why not add a twist and give them a low level sound and damage, kind of like they're humming and radioactive.

Getting stuck in the little holes on top of the rocks... Yeah, proceed at your own risk. If you want to chance camping up on top then you can chance getting stuck. What are rock cliffs without a few little crevices to get stuck in? Kinda like real life imo. The original was pretty lame in that you could run around on the tops of the rocks as much as you wanted and not take damage. Not a problem being able to do that, but kind of lame in that there was no risk to it. But yes, you're right, that one spot is kind of deep and should be corrected.

Turrets, this one really made me think on this map. When we played RedPlanet competitively (the few times anyone would actually select the map) the turrets at the corner nodes weren't largely used so I didn't put a lot of time into them, just threw in a mix of turrets and moved on to the next. The prime nodes are of most importance imo because that's what the map comes down to relatively quickly. The regular turrets in UT3 seem really powerful to me, so I was hesitant to use just them around the prime node, thus causing me to add others. My other idea is to use the regular turrets in front of the node to help in defending it as your prime, but something a little less like stinger turrets along the back to make it weaker for the other team to defend when you're trying to take it back as your prime.

Oh yeah, the Levi... I can't believe that I completely forgot to put that in. Lol!

Other maps? I keep trying to ween myself from mapping, but I am dabbling with ONS-Aridoom right now.

Comment

Updated the first post with the link to the newer version, RC2.

Comment

awesome map!
                          i did a few runs, but actually didnt find anything incorrect!
                          i just love the map :P

the small downscaling definitly did the map good!

Comment

Thanks! This one is close to finalizing and should be done before the release of ONS 2.0 which it will be a part of.

Comment

Do you have a update of this for the 2.0 event bigdog? we are getting ready to start packaging all the maps up.

Comment

Working...
                              X