No announcement yet.

DM-Rocks and Shoals Moved to final!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did delete all 4 files before installing the new files. I always do that like any Noob would do. Wonder why Odedge could run it?
    Added: I deleted the INI and was able to run the map fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
      I did delete all 4 files before installing the new files. I always do that like any Noob would do. Wonder why Odedge could run it?
      Added: I deleted the INI and was able to run the map fine.
      Ahh, so much for calling you a nOOb. I have heard this happen before (.ini file messing things up), though I don't know why it would. I just looked at the one that came with my version and it looks fine.

MasterB, can you copy and paste the info in the .ini file you just deleted (assuming it's in your recycle bin)?

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
        Ahh, so much for calling you a nOOb. I have heard this happen before (.ini file messing things up), though I don't know why it would. I just looked at the one that came with my version and it looks fine.

MasterB, can you copy and paste the info in the .ini file you just deleted (assuming it's in your recycle bin)?
        I didn't keep the INI. I just D/L'ed the file (again) and extracted the 3 files.
        I will D/L the file again and give it another try. If appropriate, I will post the INI.

OK, I downloaded the map again and installed all 4 files and the map ran. It must have been me somehow especially if no one else is reporting problems. The only variable I see is that I install all of my maps with a "Map Installer". I will look at that for a cause.
        Sorry for the false alarm. I try to be helpful with quick comments especially when I find a problem. Maybe I was too quick.
        Love this map (although a bit small for me). I noticed you reduced the player count in the new INI. More accurate.
        Maybe I am a nOOb? Can you be a nOOb if you have been playing FPS's since Wolfenstein 3D??

Comment

About the INI, it is not mandatory to include in your package. Even if you don't have the INI, the engine will create it for you with default values in it.

This map look interesting. I should give it a go tonight

Comment

Just make few rounds on it but I can say I definitively love the layout/flow of this map

I just have some visual suggestions to polished the map :

maybe try to cover straights edges on some of your main big rocks meshes by others littles rocks :
            It's a before/after place example I have made very quickly just to be more clearely :

I think this texture is too stresh :

edit :

I think you would have to keep your stairs here but put a blocking volume as a ramp in this place, it will increase the easy/fast flow :

And what about heigh fog on the ground? Just a suggestion of what it looks :

Don't forget to add music too

Nothing to tell otherwise I can wait the final version !

Good job, we need more maps like this one !

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
              Maybe I am a nOOb? Can you be a nOOb if you have been playing FPS's since Wolfenstein 3D??
              We all have the potential. But you know I say this in jest...

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
              And what about heigh fog on the ground? !
              I second this suggestion. All in favor?

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                Just make few rounds on it but I can say I definitively love the layout/flow of this map

I just have some visual suggestions to polished the map :

maybe try to cover straights edges on some of your main big rocks meshes by others littles rocks :
                It's a before/after place example I have made very quickly just to be more clearely :

I think this texture is too stresh :

I think you would have to keep your stairs here but put a blocking volume as a ramp in this place, it will increase the easy/fast flow :

And what about heigh fog on the ground? Just a suggestion of what it looks :
                Don't forget to add music too

Nothing to tell otherwise I can wait the final version !
                Good job, we need more maps like this one !
                Thanks. I get what you're saying about the harsh edges.

The "stair" part is not stairs, the purpose of it is to slow you down, something you have to jump over.

I don't know about the fog, i'll have to think that over.

Now, a very important question,
                Looking at the terrain in your screenshots, the textures are wrong. they look reversed from what they should be.
                See Here
                What's up with that?

Also, imageshack sucks.

[edit]Also, I don't know how to do music, I always play with the music off.

Comment

Originally posted by danjw_net View Post
                  The "stair" part is not stairs, the purpose of it is to slow you down, something you have to jump over.
                  ok, it's a choice of you, don't care about that

Now, a very important question,
                  Looking at the terrain in your screenshots, the textures are wrong. they look reversed from what they should be.

What's up with that?

Also, imageshack sucks.
                  Humm, maybe a cross package with your older upk, assuming I don't delete properly the olders files...

You would save your customs packages on the map itself, it's always prevent some troubles...

As for imageshack, yeah it's suck, can you plz give me a better way to upload and see sceenshot?

bye

Comment

Hi there

Just play your map & it is quite simple and fun

Therefore, I have some suggestions to you :

Gameplay :

It is not a very big map and IMO, there is to much armor. The vest + the belt is IMO to much & more important to close. I would suggest instead of the belt to put a powerup like the udamage or bezerk.

The Link gun is placed in a odd position. Like the Bio, maybe just put it in somekind of dedicated place.

I found it unbalance to have the sniper + the rl + the flack + the vest + belt all in the higher level. I think that the flack is the one to be move in another place at the ground level. Placing the Flack in this upper, wide open area is not a very good idea. More, the ground lavel as nothing special in term of item placement (powerfull weapon or powerup or armor). So by moving the flack there, you force the player to go lower instead of just make the travel all around the map and grab all the most powerfull stuff. I can suggest you to switch the link & the flack (assuming that you already found a better spot for the link).

You have put some vials near the sniper. I stongly suggest not to do so since a skillful sniper can camp there, grab some health, jump getting the belt and return to the sniper place. My advice is never put some health near the sniper so the player can't stay there and you force him to move.

Last point, you have maybe a bit to much of ammo on the higher level. Removing a bit of ammo from the higher level to the lower level will force even more the players to go down, forcing z-axis fights.

Visuals

Most of the edges all around the map are cutting straight. You should definitively put some rocks, grass all around the map. For example (check the yellow lines) :

[screenshot]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/203/screenshot00006hx7.jpg[/screenshot]

Check your collisions here, I can see through :

[screenshot]http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5334/screenshot00005lk5.jpg[/screenshot]

I found a lot of places where the texture are very stretched. There is no point to take a pic of all of them but I have them in my face everywhere. Please, at least, rework where the player can see them easily. Like these spots :

[screenshot]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5854/screenshot00004vx6.jpg[/screenshot]

The bloom effect is IMO to high, reducing it a bit will help the players to see at a far more distance & spot the actions. I suggest that you lower the fog a bit and make it reach the ground since the ground level look very "clear" & the higher level to "blurry". The transition between the two is noticeable instead of natural.

[screenshot]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5113/screenshot00003rn6.jpg[/screenshot]

The rocks/bricks textures could be a bit more detailed. Also, the BumpOffset is a bit to much since depending on certain place, I noticed some odd distortion.

Finally, I like the third pic more for your preview pic

In all, it is a fun map with a very good start. Hope that help

THX

Comment

Question about the external package, originaly I was under the impression that it was bad, would cause problems or simply wasn't possible to put large amounts of custom content into the map file itself. This is first time I've heard of external packages causing problems.
                      With that, is there some magic "combine" button that could transfer all the contents of an external package into the map and and change all the references to match?

stevelois, the fog is there to reduce visibity. I want the player focused on what's happening right infront of them rather than accross the map.
                      If someone wants to make or find me a more detailed version/replacment for that texture I'll happily accept it. I'm not a texture artist, sadly, and that's the best I'm able to do on my own.
                      The streched textures you posted are epic's meshes. if you see any streched/bad uvs on my meshes please post them.

[edit]Something else. i've moved the spawns around so that ~3/4s of them are on the ground.
                      Part of my original intention for this was to have most if not all the spawns on the ground and most, if not all, the good pickups on the higherlevels and getting the beggest items (keg & belt) would leave the player back on the ground.
                      I'm working on the hard seams.
                      Also, regarding the fog, the ground level looks clearer because there are more obstacles. the higher you are the farther you can see so the fog is more noticeable but when you drop down the fog is less visible because everything is more cramped.

Comment

[edit]Also, I don't know how to do music, I always play with the music off.
                        Check out this tuturial if you want to assign stock music to your map. He also offers a more in depth ones if you want to create your own. I don't listen to music while playing, but for those who do, I won't deny them their fun. I just hope to pick music that matches the "mood" of the map.

Question about the external package, originaly I was under the impression that it was bad, would cause problems or simply wasn't possible to put large amounts of custom content into the map file itself. This is first time I've heard of external packages causing problems.
                        With that, is there some magic "combine" button that could transfer all the contents of an external package into the map and and change all the references to match?
                        I don't think there is a limit and the amount of content you have won't be an issue. As for the problems, DGUnreal has stated that there can be issue with the map referencing the assets. Though this might depend on how you handle your assets (renaming, ect). Check out his thoughts on the topic.

From what I know, there is no quick and easy way to do it, so it might not be worth it at this point. You would have duplicate all of the assets, then reassign the static meshes/materials to reference the materials/textures that are now in your map file.

Once this is done, you will have to replace each mesh, one at a time. It's possible to copy and paste the original mesehs Movement values, paste them in the new one, then delete the old one. But that may be more work than it's worth at this point.

There may be an easier way that I am now aware of...

Comment

Those tutorials & tips are really helpful.

I'll leave it with the external package for this one and just remeber that for the next map.

Now there is music (assuming I did it right, I'll test it later), I swapped the flak and link.
                          I'm working on fixing the hard seams, I've done the area where the link is(was) the platform with the helmet and about half the sniper platform. Still have quite a few spots to work on but I will get those. For some reason Max keeps crashing on me tonight so i'm going to go to bed and figure out what's wrong tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming.

Comment

To replace a bit faster all your meshes :

then you have re-import all your customs meshes and textures (with news names) in your "DM-RocksAndShoals" package :

1- select a mesh in your "DM-RocksAndShoals" package in the browser.

2- go back to viewport 3d and just select the corresponding mesh, (right clic and make "select matching staticmesh (this class)" if you have a bunch of it)

go to their properties (F4) and search the line "staticmesh" under the section "staticmeshcomponent"

3-clic the green arrow on the end of the line to assign the new one (from your map package).

4-repeat for each mesh...

it will keep all the settings of the previous meshes on the map (scale, position, lighting...)

rebuild and save the map.

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                            I don't listen to music while playing, but for those who do, I won't deny them their fun. I just hope to pick music that matches the "mood" of the map.
                            Plz yes, music take part of the ambience in the map, don't forget it.

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                            I would suggest instead of the belt to put a powerup like the udamage or bezerk.
                            It's true that a powerup miss your map.
                            I vote for Udamage, but in a other place, more higher/difficult to reach than the belt.

Comment

Hello, I tested out your map and I like the game flow a lot. The texture stretching etc didn't bother me so much at all, would just like to see a tad bit more visuals to add to variety. Not much tho, want to keep in line with the theme of the map. But it does play great.

Comment

Thank Kaburan31, can you be a bit more specific?

Comment

Working...
                                X