• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Rocks and Shoals Moved to final!

Name:Rocks and Shoals
    Version: Beta 6
    Compatibility: 1.3 as far as I know.
    Description: An abandoned excavation site
    Comments: Small map, well suited for duel but made with 6-10 players in mind. I'm very happy with how it plays with bots but i've not played it with real folk.

Preview image is temp, i'll probably use the thrid or fourth screenshot for that in the final. but I'll worry about that later.

The vast majority of it is custom modeled by me.

I can't think of anything else to say so please tell me what you think and ask any questions you like.
    Screenshot:

Homepage: www.danjw.net
    Download: (UPDATED FINAL)PC & PS3

look good downloading

Comment

this looks oddly familiar to another map i've seen.. But good job

-EJon

Comment

Freak'in great map.
        How did you get the power ups and stuff to glow like they do? Nice effect that I don't remember elsewhere.
        Good flow.
        Very nice work.

Comment

Just plain old bloom.
          EpicJon, i posted an alpha of this a while back. I haven't worked on it for quite some time mostly due to creative block.

Comment

MasterB told me about this map, so I checked it out. Glad I did. This is one cool map. I like the simplicity of it, though you don't get bored of it. I really like how you kept the fact that it's still a place where a death match will take place. Too many custom maps feel like they were made for a different game.

Now for the specific feedback...

1. It would be nice to have a second way to get up to the platform that eventually leads up to the stinger. If you are standing at the shield pickup, looking to wards the belt, it's right in front of you to the left.

2. You have some floating foliage near a light on the ground, right behind both of them is a rock walkways that leads from the ground to Flak pickup.

3. Some times, it seems like there's a bit too much ammo next to each other, I tend to like 2 grouped together, instead of 3.

4. Some of your grass/weeds are a bit dark (I am running the default PP and a brightness of 5).

5. You might want to consider moving the rocket launcher. From there, you can easily get to the 2 health pickups, then the Keg of health. You can also get to the shield belt if you are a good jumper. To me, it's too many of the desired stuff in one central area of the map. Also, consider removing either the Keg of Health or shield belt. While the map is big enough, it's may not be big enough to support both, especially in duel matches.

6. You might want to block off the area with the broken fence right before you jump down to get the keg of health. Since there is no reason to go there (you can jump up into the map), it might frustrate players for no good reason.

7. When you delete your custom content from the map, it's hard to get a bearing on where your at while looking at it in the editor.

I think this map is going to be a keeper, even in it's current form it plays very well. Great work!

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback!

1. technicaly the is a second way, by going up by the flac and going accross the sniper platform and down. But I think I get what you're saying. I'll play around with that area alittle.

4. this is something i've noticed and honestly don't know what to do about. as far as I can tell it's caused by the grass shader and the way the mesh is, being only single planes so the back faces don't recieve any light. I'm open to hear options for that.

5. that's a tough one, i'll have to have a think about it.

6. I almost did this but decided to leave it open in case someone found a use for it. So i've got no problem blocking it off.

7. You lost me on this one.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback, it's greatly appriciated!

Comment

Originally posted by danjw_net View Post
                Thanks so much for the feedback!

4. this is something i've noticed and honestly don't know what to do about. as far as I can tell it's caused by the grass shader and the way the mesh is, being only single planes so the back faces don't recieve any light. I'm open to hear options for that.
                The only thing I can think of is maybe put a light with a special light channel and then set up the grass to receive it (but not other actors). I did this to brighten up some areas in a terrain based map.

6. I almost did this but decided to leave it open in case someone found a use for it. So i've got no problem blocking it off.
                You could leave it open and maybe some one can use it for an ambush spot? They hide in there, then blasts someone with some flak or rockets? It all depends on the mentality of the player.

7. You lost me on this one.
                I opened the map in the editor and all of your custom work was missing. I checked my "show flags" and the groups browser. I beleive people deleted their custom work then saved the map? or something similar in UT2003/4.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback, it's greatly appriciated!
                Being a fellow map maker, I know that people need to give specific examples of what they like or don't like. This helps the mapper have a better idea of what people really like.

I look forward to the final version.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                  I opened the map in the editor and all of your custom work was missing. I checked my "show flags" and the groups browser. I beleive people deleted their custom work then saved the map? or something similar in UT2003/4.
                  Do you use "-nohomedir" ?
                  If so, then it might be because the package is not where the editor wants it to be since "-nohomedir" doesn't apply to the editor. (atleast to my knowlege)

Comment

Do you use "-nohomedir" ?
                    If so, then it might be because the package is not where the editor wants it to be since "-nohomedir" doesn't apply to the editor. (atleast to my knowlege)
                    I don't use the that in my shortcut. The only odd thing I do, is I created additional folders to place each type of map in (DM, CTF, and one for the .upk files).

I tried opening another map custom map and all of the custom meshes in the .upk file showed up. Your map must be special!

Comment

lol well yay! It is special. It rides the short bus.

Comment

OK, New version.
                        I added a second ramp up

Also thinned out some of the ammo spots and replaced the grass mesh with a custom one that should accept lights better.
                        New Download(updated beta 5)

Comment

Version 3 crashes on me. Version 1 didn't. Tried 3X, 3 crashes.
                          My other maps do not crash.

Comment

seriously!?! :O

I'll recook. give me a few mins.

[edit] having trouble recooking, try removing the ini file.

Comment

OK, New version.
                              I added a second ramp up

Also thinned out some of the ammo spots and replaced the grass mesh with a custom one that should accept lights better.
                              New Download
                              Regarding the pic, that's the idea I was going for, just one more option to get to that platform from the ground. Will check out the latest version, assuming it works.

Added:

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                              Version 3 crashes on me. Version 1 didn't. Tried 3X, 3 crashes.
                              My other maps do not crash.
                              Because you are a noob? hehehe

I tried the latest version (removed all of the files from the previous version) and it worked fine for me. I wonder if it's an issue with the extra .upk file? You have to replace this one too.

A few thoughts...

Though it might be too lat, it's best if you don't use an external .upk file for custom content. You should added it to the map file. Granted, you will have to place the content in your map before you do either a full build or a cook (can't remember which ) or the editor will remove it to help keep the file size down. This is why I always add it to my map after I import it.

I have also read that external packages can cause problems, which may explain why I can't see the custom content when viewed in the editor.

As for the map, my only concerns, and I know they are very subjective is regarding the item placement.

1. I still think there is way too much health/armor that can be accessed from the rocket launcher area (4 health vials, 2 health, and either a shield or keg o health.

2. Some areas seem like they have a lot of pickups (flak cannon area), while other areas (upper walkways between the sniper and flak areas & the lower platform (where you added that additional ramp) area that leads to either the stinger or 50 shield (which also has 2 health) near it.

I know there is a balance in placing items, but I think a little less is better as the player has to make decisions on what pickups to go for and how to use them wisely. If everyone had all of the pickups, that wouldn't be as fun?

Comment

Working...
                              X