• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-SKYSCRAPER (Preview Pics Inside)

Name:VCTF-SkyScraper
    Version:FINAL
    Compatibility:PC Currently, PS3 Coming Shortly
    Description:Battle it out on the rooftops of an unfinished Skyscraper, be careful not to fall of the edge its a long fall down.

Comments:This is a Collaboration Map between Myself and Empty_Soul,CaptainSnarf and MapMonkey helped as well, took us about a week to get it to where it is now.
    Screenshot:

Credits:Kevin (Empty_Soul) Hill & Simion (Oldskool0482) Korbra
    Homepage: http://www.clan-bge.com
    Download: http://files.filefront.com/vCTF+Skys.../fileinfo.html

*Updated* this is the final version.
    Linke to Final version Thread:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...7#post25716907

Quick word from Empty

I just wanted to jump in and throw out my two cents.

Oldskool, thanks for posting it up here and to every VCTF-er who loves AnarchyHalls, FeelGoodInc, and ArenaOfDeath....
    you will love this map. We tried to include elements from those maps since there is nothing better than fasted paced, jump-booting, shock-combo-ing, scorpion-chasing, stinger-spraying flag runs. Please download our map and let us know what you think!

Comment

You know, with some more artistic lighting, this map can go from "great gameplay" to "great map with great gameplay and visuals". The geometry is there, just add some more color to the lighting, get some dramatic shadows, throw in a cool skybox and you have much more that a 'good gameplay' map.

Comment

i like this map it is one of the most open vctf map styles i have seen, v nice, especially the way the scavanger and redeemer come about. 2 things maybe that i thought about.
        1. maybe some more vehicles, at the bottom at least, as for a vctf map i felt it was a bit vehicle-less especially at the bottom.
        2. i felt it was a bit easy to get the flag and go on the walkways round the outside to the base, maybe make it difficult, im not sure how.

very good i like the way there are 2 different types of weapon locker.

oh and btw the roof might need tacking down a little bit more...

Comment

Thanks, we tried to make it open vctf map, it will either be a quick match or a long hard fought win with it being 1-0 or 2-1. The Railings on the side, are bots having trouble chasing people through there? More vehicles are a possibility, we didn't want to add anything to powerful that would lopside the map, say having a bender camp the flag, it would be very hard to take that out if the Bender driver was good. Though more scavengers or mantas are a possibility, I'll have to confer with Empty. And the roof peices, I know exactly what you mean, but if you bring them down any further, some of the peices go through the metal IBeams, and it don't look realistic, the only way I can see fixing that is turning it on the axis to try ot make it more straight, but it really don't give much more effect, still appears as it does now, Though we got around the problem of getting caught up on them by turning collision off and putting blocking volumes underneath. Thanks for the input and I'll talk to Empty and see what he has to say about the extra vehicles and I'll take another look at the bot pathing on the outside railways see if I can make that any better.

Comment

Something is wrong with this map for me.. I get very very low fps.. Like 10-20fps, which isn't playable. I don't have a top end computer, but most maps get me 35-50fps quite easily.
            It's not high in detail so something is amiss for sure. Im told it could be a dynamic lighting issue? A few other folks i played the map with also said it wasn't as fast as it could be.

If it wasn't for this, then it would be quite a good and playable map I think

Pop!

Comment

Some dramatic lighting would impove this map hundredfold. Take a look at Warby's map Elevation. With this map I would ethier go, sunset or sunsrise. Either way, this map would gain from the extra colour and dramatic shadows. Also for optimization tips look here: http://www.evilmrfrank.com/Optimizing.htm

The frames on this map are not brilliant at the moment

Comment

To Both Pop and LtCliff, yeah we have a big dynamic light on the top and it was only put there as a work light, and I forgot to take it out, so that would probably be the reason you are getting such bad frames, also on the lighting I am working on it, to be honest i only released it this early to get it on a server that only updates there maps like every 4 months, Either way I'll continue to work on it and try to optimize it the best i can so you guys can get better frames, when I release an updated version would be much appreciated if u could tell me if your frames have gotten better.

Comment

i was thinking, sorry for being so late, about the redeemer crane. i was thiking about the possiblity of putting something on the other side of it or a portal of the metal pole thing, as if u get carried away on it u have to use the redeemer from far away and then have to wait until it respawns again to get carried back, so maybe just a building with a portal or manta on the other side, or just a portal on the metal pole thing would be better.

Comment

*Updated the file, it is now RC4, reworked the lighting with some help from CaptainSnarf it should now play better and get better fps throughout most systems and it looks alot better as well. Let me know how it plays frame wise and if you like the lighting changes.

I Updated the Download up top, people were having problems connecting to servers online due to a downloading a package not found for the music file, so I took out the music out, and there were 4 static meshes that was added as a team static mesh instead of regular, I also changed them as well it should fix any of the problems.

Comment

yeh lighting makes it look at lot lot better now ty for that.

edit: i cant comment on wether playability has changed because it worked perfectly for me originally.

Comment

No problem, thanks for the suggestion

Comment

This is a good map.
                          love the city scape though the mist layer is a little bit sudden.

other than that everything looks good.

Comment

Thanks, and only reason I put it up that high is to give the feel of being high up like its clouds, u think I should move it down some more?

Comment

just soften the cloud line a little so it's more gradual

Comment

Working...
                              X