MapMixer 3.00 [BETA 1] [Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimbreWolf View Post
    Hmmm, I'm having trouble using Beta1 on LAN as well. Was trying it out between a Vista laptop and XP PC. If hosting on the PC, laptop loads back to main menu after(?) loading the level (to some degree at least). If hosting on laptop I get the following error when trying to join game on PC:

Game loads fine for host in both cases. If not using MapMixer LAN works fine. Also, I think if the host is MapMixer but the other machine isn't it works (or possible the other way around, I can't remember for sure.). I don't recall having these problems with the last alpha version.

Let me know if there's any other info you would like or something tested again.
    Make sure that all clients don't have any old MM files hanging around from previous versions of MM.

You can optionally install the whole Beta 1 folder on clients, however, MM is designed such that client's don't require certain packages, which are relevant only to the server. The MapMixer.u package (from your pic) is a server-only (game host) package. I suspect there is some confusion going on with package versions on the server and client.

In theory, if client's connect to a MM hosted server and they don't have the required client packages then they will automatically download them in the usual UT3 fashion.

The other thing you can do, as always, is check the log file on the client machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomgiver View Post
      Of course this is useful, but I don't mean this. I mean the impression that you (the players) get, if you compare a godlike or inhuman bot for example with default values and a godlike or inhuman bot with everything set to maximum.
      I like it, that you have created a bot manager. Thank you for this feature. This was the main reason for me to download mapmixer. I like it, to create teams with very bots that are very hard to beat.
      You can't really compare the interaction with Bot Difficulty and Attributes without analysing their interaction in code specifically (ie mathematically). So I guess the answer to your original question would be that you could do some comparisons across skill levels with different attribute values but you'd have to do that mathematically across each attribute, taking into account the way each attribute is actually used in code. Some attributes are used to make decisions and others are used to calculate effects.

Glad you like the Faction Editor. I'm all for variety and if it helps spice things up a bit then I'm happy. Considering the real lack of configuration of bots (ie attributes) within the original game, it's nice to be able to actually make them all a little different in a way that doesn't involve editing ini files manually. It's also nice to be able to tame-down some of the unrealistic settings that have appeared in some of the excellent community models that have been released. (Some of these have settings way off the scale and information clipping occurs, which reduces differentiation.)

Comment

Originally posted by sinx View Post
        Make sure that all clients don't have any old MM files hanging around from previous versions of MM.

You can optionally install the whole Beta 1 folder on clients, however, MM is designed such that client's don't require certain packages, which are relevant only to the server. The MapMixer.u package (from your pic) is a server-only (game host) package. I suspect there is some confusion going on with package versions on the server and client.

In theory, if client's connect to a MM hosted server and they don't have the required client packages then they will automatically download them in the usual UT3 fashion.

The other thing you can do, as always, is check the log file on the client machines.

Thanks for the reply. My UT3 (and MM) installation should in theory be identical on both machines. Because of this I don't normally have to download things between the two so if MM requires this it could be a more general problem with my LAN setup. Maybe I'll try cleaning up all the MM files (except the ini files) and re-install Beta 1 on both.
        How do I check the log files? Can I just paste them from the clipboard after something goes wrong?

Comment

How do I check the log files? Can I just paste them from the clipboard after something goes wrong?
          Referring to the standard UT3 log file ...\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Logs\Launch.log on the client machine.

Comment

Referring to the standard UT3 log file ...\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Logs\Launch.log on the client machine.
            Cheers, I'll look into it again and get back to you.

Comment

Excellent. A re-install on both machines seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the help. The client appeared as demo guy on the first few tests but that doesn't bother me too much.

Comment

Can't thank you enough !!

Late arrival, here. Man, what a Godsend for UT3. I had purchased 2 copies of UT3 when it first came out, and up till now it seemed like I had wasted nearly $100. This utility has turned things completely around.

Configurable Bots -- this was so desperately needed, thank you. It has helped make the game desirable to play again. Now we can make the Bots play the game the way we want them to. Definitely shows what a difference maker one man can be, seeing that you succeeded where an entire development team failed.

Love the MapMixer UI, has a nice look to it, and everything works great. I've tested this on my LAN dedicated server and it works fantastic as all I had to do was configure the bots & map lists the way I wanted them on my Client computer and copy the files ( including all the MapMixer .ini files ) over to my dedicated LAN server and it works like a charm. I love the option to be able to have MapMixer automatically log me in as the Server Admin. Very nice to switch maps just by hitting the Z key and bringing up the map list.

This may be beyond what you can do for future releases of MapMixer, but I'll throw the request out there: We were supposed to get the Auto-taunt feature for our own player character in Patch 1.3, but I haven't seen it work, yet. If you can incorporate this feature into any future releases of MM, it would be a nice bonus.

Overall, you've done a great job making the PC version of UT3, feel like an actual PC game. Thanks again & all the best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
                  Late arrival, here. Man, what a Godsend for UT3. I had purchased 2 copies of UT3 when it first came out, and up till now it seemed like I had wasted nearly $100. This utility has turned things completely around.
                  Thanks. MapMixer for UT2003, 2004 and UT3 has always been about extending the functionality (and usability for me) of a great game. I guess it's just my opinion but it always felt to me like the game never truly harnessed its own possibilities. MapMixer was just an attempt to expand the horizons of the game a little with customisation and randomisation (two of my favourite words ;-] ) One of the core assumptions that the standard game makes that MapMixer turns around completely is that each match in a session has to be identical (using the UI), apart from map. This time round, in UT3, I had the most work out of all the games MM has appeared for. At the beginning it almost looked completely hopeless until I realised that in order to make it all work, I had to 're-invent the wheel' to some extent and spend a great deal of time implementing work-arounds for some difficult limitations in the game.

Configurable Bots -- this was so desperately needed, thank you. It has helped make the game desirable to play again. Now we can make the Bots play the game the way we want them to.
                  Thanks but I can't take all the credit here. The underlying attribute system was always there, I just allowed users to harness it with a UI. Although I did put an enormous amount of work into things like the Customisable Faction System and allowing different bots for each match in a session, which as we all know, isn't allowed in the standard game.

Definitely shows what a difference maker one man can be, seeing that you succeeded where an entire development team failed.
                  Thanks again. MM took a long time and it almost felt like I was part of a team creating a game at times

Love the MapMixer UI, has a nice look to it, and everything works great.
                  The mouse and keyboard are great things! ;-P

I've tested this on my LAN dedicated server and it works fantastic as all I had to do was configure the bots & map lists the way I wanted them on my Client computer and copy the files ( including all the MapMixer .ini files ) over to my dedicated LAN server and it works like a charm. I love the option to be able to have MapMixer automatically log me in as the Server Admin. Very nice to switch maps just by hitting the Z key and bringing up the map list.
                  Stopping and starting a server to change gametypes is a real bummer eh!

This may be beyond what you can do for future releases of MapMixer, but I'll throw the request out there: We were supposed to get the Auto-taunt feature for our own player character in Patch 1.3, but I haven't seen it work, yet. If you can incorporate this feature into any future releases of MM, it would be a nice bonus.
                  From what I understand, yes there are still some discrepancies with regard to how the auto-taunt system is supposed to work and how it does actually work. It would be difficult for me to comment on this without first looking at the code but it may possibly look like it falls beyond the scope of MM - though I have crossed the line before.

Overall, you've done a great job making the PC version of UT3, feel like an actual PC game. Thanks again & all the best to you.
                  Yup, there's always room for improvement in MM but I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to achieve as a one person effort. Thanks for your encouragement.

Comment

Stopping and starting a server to change gametypes is a real bummer eh!
                    Wait, are we supposed to be able to switch maps on the "Z" menu when playing a LAN game? I don't think that works for me but I'll check it again and get back to you. I'm pretty sure though that the "Maps" tab doesn't appear in that in-game menu on a LAN game for me.

Comment

Wait, are we supposed to be able to switch maps on the "Z" menu when playing a LAN game? I don't think that works for me but I'll check it again and get back to you. I'm pretty sure though that the "Maps" tab doesn't appear in that in-game menu on a LAN game for me.
                      Hi TimbreWolf,

If you are still having a problem switching maps on your LAN server, this may be of help to you.

To switch maps, I do believe you have to be logged in as the Server Admin on your LAN server. You can set up an Admin password by opening the UTGame.ini file on your server and look for this header:

[Engine.AccessControl]

If you haven't done it already, manually type this line under the header:

AdminPassword= <--whatever password you want

Then set your server name and MOTD to what you want & click File>Save.

Start your server and go to your Client computer and connect to your server. Hit the Z key and under the Login section type your Server name and admin password and hit the Save button.

If all went well you will be automatically logged in as the Server Admin every time you connect to your server & the Maps lists should appear when you hit your Z key, and you can switch maps whenever you want.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I don't know if I did something out of the oridinary, but now my client menu won't appear. If I remember correctly, I have to use the client menu ot assign which key brings it up.

Can this be edited via an .ini file?

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                          I don't know if I did something out of the oridinary, but now my client menu won't appear. If I remember correctly, I have to use the client menu ot assign which key brings it up.

Can this be edited via an .ini file?
                          Odedge,
                          I'm guessing here...
                          Open the UTMapmixer_Client.INI.
                          Look at the last entry.
                          Mine has the following. Mine is bound to "Z". Maybe add it here. Remember to backup.
                          mmKB_ClientMenu=Z

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                            Odedge,
                            I'm guessing here...
                            Open the UTMapmixer_Client.INI.
                            Look at the last entry.
                            Mine has the following. Mine is bound to "Z". Maybe add it here. Remember to backup.
                            mmKB_ClientMenu=Z
                            You guess well. I did take a look, but looking at .ini files is a challenge at times, lines of code...

It got assigned to the Tab key, but I guess that conflicts with the opening the conole in UT 3.

Thanks for your pearls of guessing.

Comment

Setting the Admin Password can be done using the MapMixer Server Administration Lists Menu. See: Setup Tab->Server Admin. No need to edit ini files!

When you're in-game. Hit your Client Menu key (z default) and go to the 'Login' Tab. Click on the '?' button and then type the Admin Password, then click on save. Now you will automatically be logged in as an Admin for each match on that server name.

There are two ways to switch maps in-game, which both require you to be logged in as an Admin IF the game is in a server-client context.
                              1. Open the Client Menu and the Maps Tab will allow you to see the entire Session Map List. Also, if you are using Manual Map Source Switching, then you'll see a combobox for the Map Sources.
                              2. Use console commands, which can obviously be bound to keys (see Client Menu->Keys) for navigating the map list and switching maps.

The mapmixer client menu is actually the console command 'mutate mapmixer clientmenu', so if you are having trouble opening the menu then try entering that at the console, then go to the Keys Tab and set it up correctly.

Comment

This amazing tool is the best! Thank u sinx! MapMixer UI is much better that original in UT3. Epic Games should hire you quickly! :P
                                I just have got a little 'problem'- how to configure mapmixer to always display maps in Launch/Quick Match in Thumbnail Size1, not List mode? Is it possible to change it in ini files? How and where?

Comment

Working...
                                X