MapMixer 3.00 [BETA 1] [Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinx View Post
    The Map Defaults section applies to sessions launched from the Launch->Session Menu.

If you can give me some specifics, I can run through it with you.
    No need, I finally figured out what was the "problem". The values I had in the Setup tab were over riding what I had entered in as the defaults. Also, when I added the map into a "group" on the Map tab, it didn't carry over the values I setup in the Defaults tab, which I expected it to.

One of MM's greatest strength, it's options, maybe it's greatest weakness for the average person to use it effectively. Don't get me wrong, you should know how much I like this "mutator". But stuff like this can be a bit frustrating.

So if you set a certain value for goal score, number of bots, whatever, on the Default tab, that would be considered the lowest priority in deciding how the map is played. I presume, if you change these values in a map rotation on the Maps tab, this will over ride the settings on the Default tab. But, you can over ride either of those by what values you have on the Setup tab.

Presuming I explained that clearly, did I explain it correctly?

Comment

MapMixer has always assigned a sort of priority to settings. Some settings are global and others are overrides. Yes, it can be confusing. I documented this in MM v2.x for Ut2K4, however, I haven't done this for v3.00 yet - although if you look at the documentation for v2.x, it is essentially the same.

You may find it useful to download MM v2.x and have a look at the documentation in there - particularly the section titled "General Concepts", as there is a topic in there on "Settings Priority (or Precedence)".

As far as Map Defaults go, a map should take on the setting assigned there, unless it is overriden elsewhere, such as in a Map List.

I do have a section dealing with Player Counts and Player Caps (two separate things!) that I haven't prepared for the site yet. When I get some time I'll make it available.

I won't deny that things can appear complicated at first but the real problem is that at the moment there is no comprehensive documentation. Without denying that it is possible to make something overly complicated and inefficient, we all know that a simple tool will often only give you simple results. It's a difficult thing to ride the fine line between making something overly complicated but making it useful. I've tried my best to make it as straight forward as I can but I can definitely see people getting no-where real fast without any comprehensive documentation.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

It's a difficult thing to ride the fine line between making something overly complicated but making it useful. I've tried my best to make it as straight forward as I can but I can definitely see people getting no-where real fast without any comprehensive documentation.
        I hear ya. This is a big project for one man to handle and you're doing a fantastic job. Since the project is in beta, there are things to be done.

When I first used MM, i was able to go a lot out of it, in a short period of time. This let me clearly see the value MM had on the UT 3 game experience.

I am sure you know this, but I will say it anyway. It seems to be in the best interest of your project if the documentation was completed right before the 1.0 final version is released, even if it's delays the release date a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
          I am sure you know this, but I will say it anyway. It seems to be in the best interest of your project if the documentation was completed right before the 1.0 final version is released, even if it's delays the release date a bit.
          This is true. Unfortunately I've just started a new job and my brain craves those moments where you have nothing to do but sit and stare into empty space I'm taking a little breather for the moment. When I settle down a bit more I'll start taking on more of the documentation, which is currently a bit sparse and disorganised.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Comment

Hey sinx - only noticed this went Beta now. Congratulations! Can't wait to try it out.

I was going to ask you about the new Elite Machines mutator. It has a transparent configuration menu which makes it unuseable with MapMixer because you just end up with all the text behind it in MapMixer still visible.
            I know this isn't really your fault, just a compatability issue, but is there anything you could do about?

Comment

I've noticed that it also doesn't play nicely with gibalicious.

Comment

Originally posted by TimbreWolf View Post
                Hey sinx - only noticed this went Beta now. Congratulations! Can't wait to try it out.
                Thanks.

I was going to ask you about the new Elite Machines mutator. It has a transparent configuration menu which makes it unuseable with MapMixer because you just end up with all the text behind it in MapMixer still visible.
                I know this isn't really your fault, just a compatability issue, but is there anything you could do about?
                When I get a chance, I'll have a look. From what I can see, it looks like I'll have to make some modifications to allow for mutators UIs that don't provider their own background.

Comment

Originally posted by brisingre View Post
                  I've noticed that it also doesn't play nicely with gibalicious.
                  With regards to the UI ?

Comment

The configureation menu for mutators just overlays that of what is alerady there. instead of haveing its own background. It makes many things harder to configure.

Comment

great work....

but i think its a bit to late ..UT3 is a Dead-Game .....

Comment

When I get a chance, I'll have a look. From what I can see, it looks like I'll have to make some modifications to allow for mutators UIs that don't provider their own background.
                        Cheers. No rush, I'm always happy to wait for a good thing. Have a drink first.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          great work....
                          but i think its a bit to late ..UT3 is a Dead-Game .....
                          Ya know, if more folk would try MapMixer out and take the time to learn how to configure it for themselves and for online servers, I really think UT3 may resurrect itself a bit.

With the flexibility and random settings that MapMixer offers, it almost makes UT3 feel like a completely different game. I know that I play UT3 for quite a longer period of time using MM than I do without it.

Comment

Yes, it's with regards to the UI. I think it may just be ugly, not unreadable. I'm not sure. Also, UT3 isn't exactly dead. We play it. I've got in on my LAN, and mapmixer adds a ton.

Comment

I don't think UT3 is dead. It wasn't the blockbuster out of the door it should should have been either.
                              IMO this was due to:
                              1) Very agravating bugs that still exist.
                              2) The game was pushed out before it was finished. A lot of this relates to the frontend which makes MapMixer so irrelevant and important for us devoted users.

Comment

hey m8 look at the server list´s ...

ut3 have 600-800 players online each day - on weekend (at good days) 1200
                                if i look at ut99 servers i have 900 current
                                --- Pc -Gamer ---

and you think there will be fixed some bugs in the future ?
                                the game work on console fine .. thats all to say about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X