No announcement yet.

MapMixer 3.00 [BETA 1] [Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I didn't know how to do it and that was the way I found. I think I spent some messing around with the session menus and I wasn't able to configure the game. What's the problem with editing the file? It works. I only use the quick match option for offline matches against bots, and always in deathmatch mode. I always use the same mutators too. When I add a new map which is not DM, what I do is to copy it from the CTF section to DM section in the database file. It's easy. I have also modified all the "friendly names" of the maps, so that they are arranged in order in the list and I can identify the kind of map too.

As you can see I also edited the main screen (editing the files too), removing the characters portraits and also placing the quick match (was that the original name?) directly in the main screen, renamed to setup match. Are we allowed to to this? It's quicker and more confortable for me like that.

Actually, MapMixer is already perfect for me. I'm only missing two things at the moment: map previews set by default, and automatic return to the main menu when the match is over (when the scoreboard appears I always have to hit F2, which is binded to disconnect).

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider View Post
      Sorry, I didn't know how to do it and that was the way I found. I think I spent some messing around with the session menus and I wasn't able to configure the game. What's the problem with editing the file? It works.
      I know where you're coming from but what I'm trying to say is that by shifting maps from their original sections in the UTMapMixer_MapDatabase.ini file, you are not using MapMixer in the way that it was designed to be used, and by doing so you are removing it's ability to do things.

As I described above, there was a much easier way to achieve what you wanted, and it would only take a matter of seconds (as it did for me) and you get to keep everything the way it should be. Moving things around in the UTMapMixer_MapDatabase.ini file takes longer and it's removing some core functionality from mapmixer. I'm trying to be nice here but I really have to say that what you've done is plain wrong and totally unnecessary because mapmixer let's you create your own Custom Gametypes with *any* number of map prefixes - all in a matter of seconds. It's a total no-brainer.

I only use the quick match option for offline matches against bots, and always in deathmatch mode. I always use the same mutators too. When I add a new map which is not DM, what I do is to copy it from the CTF section to DM section in the database file.
      Here again, I'm really trying to be nice but you're making a whole lot of work for yourself and there's a much easier way to do what you want (described above). Let me ask you - would you prefer the longer route that removes a lot of functionality or the shorter route where you get to keep all the functionality?

It's easy. I have also modified all the "friendly names" of the maps, so that they are arranged in order in the list and I can identify the kind of map too.
      Modifying the friendly names is fine - just don't move maps out of their designated sections - you really shouldn't be doing it.

As you can see I also edited the main screen (editing the files too), removing the characters portraits and also placing the quick match (was that the original name?) directly in the main screen, renamed to setup match. Are we allowed to to this? It's quicker and more confortable for me like that.
      That's great to hear. I made it flexible so people could change the way the Main Menu looks.

Actually, MapMixer is already perfect for me. I'm only missing two things at the moment: map previews set by default
      Already done - see Release Candidate 1 - coming soon. (As I say to everyone - just don't come complaining about the delay it causes)

, and automatic return to the main menu when the match is over (when the scoreboard appears I always have to hit F2, which is binded to disconnect).
      I'm not sure why you want to do this. If you are playing Quick Match then perhaps you've missed the Keybind for the Quick Match (now called Quick Session) menu? The point being that you don't need to return to the Main Menu to start your next match - from within the Offline match, *at any time* you just press the key for the menu and launch your next match. This way it's all kept in the Session Map List - so you can navigate back to a map in that session that you have just played.

Comment

OK, thaks for all the explainations. I'll configure it properly.

I'm not sure why you want to do this. If you are playing Quick Match then perhaps you've missed the Keybind for the Quick Match (now called Quick Session) menu? The point being that you don't need to return to the Main Menu to start your next match - from within the Offline match, *at any time* you just press the key for the menu and launch your next match. This way it's all kept in the Session Map List - so you can navigate back to a map in that session that you have just played.
        The way I play is: select quick match, choose the map, and play. When the match is over I see the scoreboard and nothing happens then. I use F2 to disconnect because I don't know the way to go back to the map selection menu, which should be the default behaviour in Mapmixer, I think. Normally, when I finish playing a map, I just want to see again the maplist to choose another map, or just quit to windows (F1).

Comment

The way I play is: select quick match, choose the map, and play. When the match is over I see the scoreboard and nothing happens then. I use F2 to disconnect because I don't know the way to go back to the map selection menu, which should be the default behaviour in Mapmixer, I think. Normally, when I finish playing a map, I just want to see again the maplist to choose another map, or just quit to windows (F1).
          If you are playing in Quick Session mode, then mapmixer deliberately does nothing at the end of the match, in order to give you the choice. In the Advanced Session mode, the assumption is that you will move on to the next map in the map list (or any other one in the Session Map List for that matter) either automatically or manually.

In Quick Match/Session mode, if you exit to the Main Menu at the end of the match in order to play another match then it could be said that you were not using mapmixer correctly, as all you need do is press the key bound to the Quick Match/Session menu - and it opens directly in the context of the current match - it does not return to the main menu, as that is unnecessary.

This brings me to the point that people should be paying more attention to the Client Menu. Please have a look at all the options in the Client Menu. In your case, the Keys Tab has a keybind specially in there for the Quick Match Menu, which as stated, can be used at any time during or after a match and it is totally unnecessary to exit to the Main Menu after you finish a match in order to launch another one.

The first time you launch a match with mapmixer (after installation) it will draw your attention to the Client Menu. The default behaviour, which can be changed, is to display the default keybind (eg 'Z') for the Client Menu at the beginning of each match, so that people remember it's there. The non-administrator options in the Client Menu are available to every player, whether local or remote, and each setting is stored separately per user-login on the local machine.

I'll say it again - there's no need to go back to the Main Menu to launch your next offline Quick Match!

Comment

I didn't know that I could bind a key to open up the map menu. Well, it would be better if you don't have to press any key (in my opinion, it's what the users would expect to happen), but it's not a bad solution. The only problem I've noticed is that your own character always keeps being the same, whilest if you go back to the main menu and open up the quick match option again, you have random character assignated. I may be wrong, but I think it happens this way.

Comment

I didn't know that I could bind a key to open up the map menu. Well, it would be better if you don't have to press any key (in my opinion, it's what the users would expect to happen), but it's not a bad solution.
              The point of it being on a keybind is that you can open the menu at any time and you don't have to wait for the end of the match. Therefore you decide when is the appropriate moment.

I guess I could try and find a place to put an option in to have the menu automatically open after a number of seconds when the match ends. I just really want to stress the point that this menu can be opened at any time and you do not need to wait till the match ends.

The only problem I've noticed is that your own character always keeps being the same, whilest if you go back to the main menu and open up the quick match option again, you have random character assignated. I may be wrong, but I think it happens this way.
              I can't really comment on this without any further information provided. All I can say is see how RC1 performs, when it is released.

In the version you are using, UT3 manages your personal character model. In the newer versions, MapMixer has its own menu allowing you to set your own character.

Comment

Any news?!
                I can't play UT3 without this mod you know

Comment

Originally posted by Pappi_man View Post
                  Any news?!
                  I can't play UT3 without this mod you know
                  I'm pretty happy with the current state of MM. I've knocked off a lot of bugs in recent weeks, so I'm feeling good about saying that RC1 is ready. I've just got to get the time to make it available and all the other stuff that goes with it. I was hoping to get RC1 out this weekend but other annoying things have come up in that irritating thing called real life. :\

I'd also like to wait till CBP3 vol3 comes out, as I'm interested to see how their new DOM looks. MapMixer is preconfigured to work with the original UTDOM and UTMulti-team gametypes (up to 4 teams), so I'm just interested to see why they went off and did their own thing.

Comment

I'll be seeing how that works as well Sinx I can tell you Bombing run works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazimira View Post
                      I'll be seeing how that works as well Sinx I can tell you Bombing run works fine.
                      I'll have to take a look at the more recent versions of bombing run. I was a big fan of the 2003/04 Bombing Run but I was a little disappointed with the versions of BR for UT3 from a number of perspectives - though I haven't looked at the more recent ones.

One thing that frustrates me is that some of the core game rules for a gametype need to be URL options and not private internal settings, as I'm seeing with some of the community gametypes. I was particularly impressed with UTDom from that point of view, as it is a brilliant example of how things should be done - plus that it came with high quality maps.

Comment

I'm starting to update some of the information on the MapMixer site for the up and coming Release Candidate 1.

Here's a couple of direct links:

A brief description and overview of MapMixer.

Screenshots of the Release Candidate, with descriptions.

If anyone is unclear what MapMixer is all about then this should provide some direction.

The Release Candidate contains a lot of once-off overview dialogs that appear when you first go to a section in the UI, which should also help orient people and help with the 'OMG what the hell is this' factor

Please note that I will be completing the documentation, which currently resides here. I'll start work on that once the Release Candidate is public.

I'd like to thank everyone for your patience - this has been a mammoth project for me but also a very satisfying one. If people can get half as much enjoyment out of MM 3.0 for UT3 that I had in making it then I'll be overjoyed.

We're nearly there, I'm just waiting for UTDom 3.1 and CBP3Vol3. Once I'm satisfied that all the pre-configuration in MapMixer's ini files has been made, you'll be seeing MM3.0 RC1.

Comment

handy tool hell its even better the ut3 interface
                          will download mm 3.0 for shuere when its out

Comment

Theres alot of it but it is much better than the UT3 interface.

Comment

Just a note to say I'll be aiming for Release Candidate 1 to go public this weekend. I still have some specific testing to do but I'm not going to delay rc1 any longer.

It will be important for everyone who is currently running any version of MM 3.0 (this includes any of the Private Beta versions - including latest) to follow the installation instructions. In a nut shell, you are advised to completely remove all mapmixer components (very easy!), including some specific UTMapMixer_ ini files. You'll be able to keep any UTMapMixer_Lists*.ini files but the others must go.

RC1 will include an updated default UTMapMixer_Database.ini file, which includes manual corrections for the discrepancy in the Epic Map Player Counts between the actual Map Info and its Map Description ini file. The file will also include a few community made maps infos as well, which should cut down on your scanning time. You are strongly advised to replace your existing one with this new file!

Comment

We appreciate the hard work sinx!

Comment

Working...
                                X