Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Tomac [Beta1] [PC/PS3] [D/L Link] [Pics] [Video]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Tomac [Beta1] [PC/PS3] [D/L Link] [Pics] [Video]

Name: DM-Tomac
    Version: Beta 1.0
    Compatibility: UT 3 1.3
    Description: An inspired remake of DM-Antalus from UT2003/4.
    Credits/Thanks: Myself (builder), Epic (Original author of map, majority of assets used), MasterB (Feedback and private testing), The Demon Slick (Feedback and private testing), DGUnreal (Allowing me to use assorted custom assets he made, forum help), Musilowski (Setting up the rock material), Thrallala (converting original song to wav format), Hourences/Zynthetic (tutorials) & everyone who posted feedback in the Alpha/Beta threads.
    Homepage: Odedge.com
    Download: PC Version 22.3MB PS3 Version 3 16.1MB
    Comments: I am a big fan of the original Antalus, but I believe it can be improved/changed for a different game play style. This is NOT a port of the original. I wanted to make the fighting to be more face-to-face to suit UT 3, to add a few additional routes, and to make the map play well for offline and on-line players.

I am open to all constructive feedback. I have learned more about the editor, but am willing to learn even more. I have kept enough elements of the original so you recognize it, but hopefully changed enough to make it fresh.

I consider the map 95% done. Every thing is open for critiquing, but keep in mind the following notations.

1. There is no menu preview image (will be added for final).
    2. There is no story (will be added for final).
    3. Player count is always subjective, feel free to make suggestions.
    4. The PC version has the original song mixed in with stock music elements. I did my best to make it sound good. I usually don't listen to music while playing. I will keep the original as part of the music, but feel free to make comments on the other tracks I have used. PS3 version can't have a custom music track, so I used a stock one. Feel free to make suggestions if you don't like it.
    5. The grass isn't finished being placed (placing by "hand"). I am concerned if this will cause a problem in the FPS department. I don't plan on putting any grass on the upper level (where players can't go).
    6. I have essentially limited the players from getting on the very top of the rock wall that defines the playing area. There are little cliffs and ledges that can still be accessed. Currently, all rocks inside the playing area can be accessed. Feel free to comment on if any of them should be off limits.
    7. Everything in the map is set to be displayed on all world detail settings. Map plays well at my usual settings, which I have used to help guage the performance of the map. I don't have the PS3 version of the game, so I will especially need your feedback on how well the map runs.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who takes the time to help make this map a better one.

Update: 10/23/2008
    1. I removed a layouer on the terrain for the PS 3 version. I was informed that the terrain had the primary color glitch. Need a confirmation that it's fixed.

Update: 10/18/2008

1. I recooked the PS3 version and added some new pics.

Video: Low Quality 3.3MB Medium Quality 10.3MB (Keep in mind the video was made before some last minute/minor changes. Video is meant to be light hearted. If you have any suggestions for a video for the final version, please comment.

Screenshot: Link below pictures for a 1680x1050 version.

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_5.jpg[/screenshot]
    1680x1050

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_6.jpg[/screenshot]
    Rocket Launcher base with a new route compared to the original.
    1680x1050

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_7.jpg[/screenshot]
    Udamage base on top of the hill.
    1680x1050

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_8.jpg[/screenshot]
    1680x1050

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_9.jpg[/screenshot]
    1680x1050

[screenshot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-tomac_beta_pic_0.jpg[/screenshot]
    1680x1050

Great, a weekend release. Can't wait until I get home (from work) and try the new version out.
    This is great news to all of us outdoor DM/TDM map lovers that have been to a large extent ignored since the release of UT3. If you like these maps like I do, this is a must download.

Comment

Sorry but I had to bump this. It was posted early Friday and by this weekend made it's way to the middle of page 2. Lot's of people may miss it this weekend. DM-Tomac may throw you. This is basically DM-Antalus redone, but different. This was a classic for UT2004 and plays much better in UT3.

Comment

i installed this on the ps3 and it didnt show up in my map list...

Comment

Great map!!!

I been playing since the afternoon on it and is great!!!

I like outdoors maps and this is one of my favorites!!!

Great job buddy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
            Sorry but I had to bump this. It was posted early Friday and by this weekend made it's way to the middle of page 2. Lot's of people may miss it this weekend. DM-Tomac may throw you. This is basically DM-Antalus redone, but different. This was a classic for UT2004 and plays much better in UT3.
            Thanks for having the map's back (does that sound right?).

Originally posted by UT3fan2008 View Post
            i installed this on the ps3 and it didnt show up in my map list...
            Thanks for letting me know. I think I messed the .ini file and forgot the name of the map. I updated the link with a new cook. Please let me know if it's working.

Originally posted by KAZUYA217 View Post
            Great map!!!

I been playing since the afternoon on it and is great!!!

I like outdoors maps and this is one of my favorites!!!

Great job buddy!!!
            Thanks for the kind words. If you find anything that can be improved, let me know.

Comment

Odedge,
              I have played this map to death (still having fun).
              The Deemer is perfect. As I mentioned before, it should be placed in an area that makes the person getting it vulnerable to attack. The jumping off ledge where you jump to the Deemer is perfect. Players will wait here for the Deemer to appear. This makes them target practice. Good balance.
              How about putting the UDamage on the small ledge (1/2 way down) the new small waterfall? This would look great from a distance. SOMETHING MUST GO THERE. I can get there fine. I would think bots would get it with Jump boots.
              I also like the new spawn areas. Especially on top of the large rock way up there.

Added:
              The map also passed my patented Jet pack Mutator test (darn, those upper areas sure look inviting).

Comment

Very nicely done!

One thing I did notice is that in a couple areas the water is hard to make out. For instance in the cave it's hard to see where the water begins. Maybe if the texture below the water was colored a little differently it would help. Most real life pools of water would have mud or sediments on the bottom instead of green grass.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                  Odedge,The Deemer is perfect. As I mentioned before, it should be placed in an area that makes the person getting it vulnerable to attack. The jumping off ledge where you jump to the Deemer is perfect. Players will wait here for the Deemer to appear. This makes them target practice. Good balance.
                  This is the best place I could find where it's in an isolated location and is accessable for both bots and human players. I want the player to have a reason to go to all major areas of the map. The jump boots and redeemer give the left side "canyon" a purpose.

[quote]How about putting the UDamage on the small ledge (1/2 way down) the new small waterfall? This would look great from a distance. SOMETHING MUST GO THERE. I can get there fine. I would think bots would get it with Jump boots.

Are you referring to left side of the waterfall, near the jump boots? If yes, then there is a problem. This is where I originally had the Redeemer. I could easily use the jump boots to get there, but the bots rarely ever jumped up there. This failed one of my tests that the bots must be willing to use all of the weapons/powerups. Though it would look nice with the water coming down on it.

The one thing I do like about the UDamage location is that it gives a reason to go on the north side of the hill and it's placed a Y-junction, so you have to be watching your left and right while getting it.

Added:
                  The map also passed my patented Jet pack Mutator test (darn, those upper areas sure look inviting).
                  Well I am glad you can use your jet pack mutator. I could make a special MasterB jet pack version with a little tweaking up top. But it will affect FPS as you are seeing a lot of the map at one time.

Originally posted by JD8 View Post
                  Very nicely done!

One thing I did notice is that in a couple areas the water is hard to make out. For instance in the cave it's hard to see where the water begins. Maybe if the texture below the water was colored a little differently it would help. Most real life pools of water would have mud or sediments on the bottom instead of green grass.
                  Thanks and you make a good point. The water is a bit too clean. I tried many different water materials and this was the one that allowed players to look into the pool of water and still be able to see the players (so they can have a fight).

I will look into improving the look of the terrain too. I originally had some of the "water grass" (that's below the waterfalls) down there to give it some depth. But it just didn't look right when you were constantly looking down at it.

Comment

Odedge,
                    Check out your private messages.

Comment

Hi Odedge! ps3 link currently not working, fyi. I'll try the new pc version right after work!

Comment

kewl map....very different from antalus....i mean.....really better
                        gl with final.....it ll be a keeper one for sure

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                          Hi Odedge! ps3 link currently not working, fyi. I'll try the new pc version right after work!
                          Sorry for the bad link. I presume I know how to copy and paste. But I updated the PS3 link, tested it, and it's working now. Even though I don't have UT 3 on the PS3, I want you guys to be able to play the map, assuming you like it.

I really need to confirm that the map plays for one (first version was messed up) and how it performs (everything in the map will be displayed).

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
                          kewl map....very different from antalus....i mean.....really better
                          gl with final.....it ll be a keeper one for sure
                          Thanks, feel free to post any suggestions for improving it.

Comment

Update: It's confirmed that the current PS3 version will be displayed on the menu. The hitch is that the terrain looks like it's from Rainbow Brite land. This usually happens when there are either too many textures or too complicated textures in the terrain.

I tested the PC version with minimum settngs and it's fine. So I will have to remove atleast one layer for the PS3 version.

Comment

Excellent remake, I like this layout better than the original one, and being in a place that is both familiar and new is very cool. Definitely a favorite.

Btw, the water, esp. near the 4-way bridge, looks a bit strange, but not in a bad way. Reminds me of liquid nitrogen or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X