Clear All

DM-FeatureCreep[Beta 1.3][Download][Pics][Updated 10/7/08]

Name
    Feature Creep

Version

Compatibility
    PC only (for now)

Description

Level built with mostly UT3 meshes (only one of them is mine -- the wood bench). I tried to create the best possible atmosphere through the use of scripting, materials, and asset placement. The city is supposed to feel alive, rather than the likely dead and destroyed.

Comments
    This beta is pretty much the final release -- I want to hear everyone's comments after playing as to areas that could be improved upon. This map does not work on my own computer because of a package problem (HU_Walls_Brick); I tested it on a friend's computer so it should work fine. After playing, I would like to hear everyone's system specs and average FPS. I welcome thorough criticism (make sure to be specific, please).

Fixes
    -Map recooked with version 1.3 patch: should fix loading problem
    -Unique meshes replaced with more common ones to use less memory
    -Water Volume recolored
    -Extra detail in killZone area to invoke danger
    -New revolving hurricane/sky
    -Lightning effect added to give more emphasis on thunder
    -Lighting brightened to add more contrast between light and dark[/COLOR]

Screenshots

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/theflashxmwc/Artwork/FeatureCreep08.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/theflashxmwc/Artwork/FeatureCreep06.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/theflashxmwc/Artwork/FeatureCreep05.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/theflashxmwc/Artwork/FeatureCreep04.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/theflashxmwc/Artwork/FeatureCreep01.jpg[/screenshot]

Setting

It was a starry night until the clouds came. First there was a calm darkness, followed by the gentle drips of cascading rain -- the sound of an endless ovation. Ignorant residents disregard any stirring outside as the yells of an angry sky and continue living their sane lives -- slaves to the newscaster on TV. Those outside know the truth, though, and are welcomed by it. What's left standing in this city is supported by the debris of that which has fallen; a frightening reminder that even steel cripples under water. Despite the dissonance from rolling hills and flowery fields, there seems to be an undeniable charm about it all. At least the lights are still on...

Credits
    Michael Trahan (QA), Nate Voss (QA), Brian Magno (helped recook), Hourences (http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsindex.htm), Epic (for making a superb editor and inspiration through great games)

Homepage
    http://JonathanArmstrong.net

Download

DM-FeatureCreep_RE3 (FileFront)
    DM-FeatureCreep_RE3 (Personal Site)

wow nice looking !

remind me movie "Rent"

Comment

nice man will download now

Comment

this map wont load in my pc

Comment

I don't like so much dark maps but I have to say that is very good !!!!!

Good job

Comment

There's something wrong with this map... It just keeps on loading, had to do a hard reboot (twice).

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
              There's something wrong with this map... It just keeps on loading, had to do a hard reboot (twice).
              lol i have the same problem

Comment

Lol, someone gave 5 stars to a map that doesn't even work.

Comment

****, there must be something seriously wrong with this map then. Sorry for the inconvenience, everybody. I will have to go back and look into what is causing all the problems. Did anyone happen to get this map to work?

Comment

I got the map to work, but it took about 15 minutes of loading first.

The map itself is beautifully made, and I love the multi-leveled parking garage; but it definitely needs a lot of optimization. I get the feeling that it not working for some people may have more to do with their computer just not handling the map, than the map being broken.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterTrioxin View Post
                      I get the feeling that it not working for some people may have more to do with their computer just not handling the map, than the map being broken.
                      Uh, Q6600, 8800GT & 3 gigs ram should be more than sufficient for a UT3 map. If it loads for 15 minutes there's something wrong with it, period.

Comment

That's fine and dandy.
                        My point was that there wasn't any one error that was causing it to crash for everyone; it's just not optimized.

My guess would be that people either don't have enough space in their Windows drive/RAM/whatever else, and the computers end up freezing; or people just weren't patient enough, saw the Loading logo stop spinning, and went "d'OMG Crash!".

Optimize the map (toning the rain down a bit would probably be a good start) and all problems should be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
                          Uh, Q6600, 8800GT & 3 gigs ram should be more than sufficient for a UT3 map. If it loads for 15 minutes there's something wrong with it, period.
                          I agree: 15 minutes to load is unacceptable. I myself have a AMD 5600+ 8800 GTS 640 MB and 4 GB of RAM.

Good news, though, everyone! I cooked the map on a friends comp with the latest patch (last map was cooked with 1.2 patch). We tried loading the first version and it never loaded up...until we recooked the level. Thanks to Brian Magno . The level still takes a little longer than a normal map to load, but is way better than 15 minutes (it took around 45 seconds).

I've wrestled with Optimizing framerate so much with this map and the main problem is the main road being so long. I will end up cutting the raindrop emitters and taking out smaller, useless meshes. This will take some time, though, and I would like everyone to at least experience the map.

I've updated the link so everyone can download the newer version (If FileFront is still pending, try the second download link).

Please let me know if you still can't get the level to work.

Jonathan

Comment

nope wont load still. I have intel quadcore 3.2ghz hd3870 6gb of ram so your map wont load still. maybe you cook the map wrong or something

Comment

the map works avter 3 min too loading but the map is great i like that there are cars driving nice map but the rain is too loud and the storm too

Comment

Working...
                              X