Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera Control - adjust vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel [2009-04-19]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Control - adjust vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel [2009-04-19]

Camera Control
    Beta 1.4, 2009-04-19

Adjust the vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel.

[shot]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9098/cameracontrolfurythirdpwp0.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6769/cameracontrolfuryfirstpst8.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8167/cameracontroldarkwalkeram0.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7195/cameracontrolnemesiscroln1.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5812/cameracontrolcicada1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8488/cameracontrolgoliath1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7554/cameracontrolnemesis1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7844/cameracontrolraptor1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6164/cameracontrolscavenger1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7580/cameracontrolscorpion1.jpg[/shot]

Annoyed by the extreme close-up of the vehicle camera? Want a better view of where you are driving/walking/hovering? Always wanted to know what the rear side of your vehicle looks like? Wondering who you're towing? Then fear not; with a simple flick of the mouse wheel, you too can zoom in or out to your preferred viewing distance.

This mutator offers between four and six camera presets for each vehicle, ranging from right-on-the-nose or aiming-down-the-barrel "first person" cameras to UT2004 style and long-distance third person cameras that provide a view of the entire vehicle.

The game will store your preferred settings in the following config file:

Config\UTCameraControl.ini

As a special bonus feature the Nemesis now supports "looksteer" in lowered mode; it will turn to where you move the mouse. It still supports keyboard steering, which will override mouse steering.

Epic actually implemented this feature somewhere along the game's development but subsequently disabled it. I cannot really understand why, since it seems to work well enough. Probably has something to do with consoles (as per usual). I re-enabled it and tweaked it around a bit so you don't have to scroll so much.

Be sure to check out some of the details that may have escaped your attention thus far:
    • The Cicada is actually quite tall.
    • The Darkwalker blows heat and black smoke out of the back of its guns when it fires and has a complex hinge mechanism that controls the shape of its body.
    • The Fury has unused tri-barreled guns on its shoulders.
    • The Goliath has tiny flames coming from its exhaust pipes.
    • The Hellbender and Scorpion have red and white rear lights that indicate braking and reversing.
    • The Manta has flames coming from its exhaust pipes.
    • The Nemesis looks pretty compact in crouched mode and its powerball flares up in raised mode.
    • The Raptor has a special fin on its back that Hoverboards grapple onto.
    • The Scorpion has a modelled cockpit interior.
    • The Viper has several complex hinge mechanisms that control the shape of its body.
    The following console command has been added as an alternative to summonv (as summonv will not summon Camera Control vehicles):

mutate vehiclename

...where vehiclename is the name of the vehicle you wish to summon. For instance, the following command will summon a Camera Control Nemesis:

mutate nemesis

The Src folder contains the source code, in case anyone is interested.

Compatibility
    • Tested offline.
    • Widescreen support has not yet been tested.
    • This mutator replaces the default vehicles with camera-controllable versions, so it is not compatible with other mutators that replace vehicles.
    Credits
    • Epic for writing the basic system.
    • Farseer for pointing out the important bits.
    • Me for writing the mutator.
    Download (includes source code)
    MediaFire
    FileFront

PS3 cook not (yet?) available. Feel free to cook it for me. Just let me know about it and don't make any unauthorized changes to my work.

Installation instructions provided in the Readme in the download. Basically, place the UTGame folder in your My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder.

Feedback appreciated!

awesome man!

Comment

Nice... Finally, a basic feature back in the game...thank you =)

Comment

Works great.
        Thanks for this, I play VCTF all the time.

Comment

now this is something i could do with

ps Hi Xyx glad to see you again

Comment

Loving this mutator, only thing i would change is make the zoom increment a little less sensitive. As it is now it sometimes feels like you have to choose between zoomed too far out or zoomed in a little too close with no middle option. This is especially true with the Dark Walker. Also, I've noticed that camera control doesn't work on the Nemesis, was this intentional or is it a bug?

Comment

In UT2004, the zoom-in/zoom-out is active by default with the scroll mouse button & it is incremental on every vehicles and turrets.

Is this mutator do the same on all vehicles & turrets ?

Also, it is compatible with 3Rd person mutator ?

If yes, that is awesome

BTW, I love your Color Control mutator

Comment

Cool! thanks dude

Comment

Originally posted by дгthайoѕ View Post
                  it sometimes feels like you have to choose between zoomed too far out or zoomed in a little too close with no middle option. This is especially true with the Dark Walker.
                  I rewrote the system for future vehicles to use preset values rather than exponential increments, so I might have another go at this mutator. That should allow me to tweak the distances much more accurately.

I'm considering predefining the following offsets:
                  • "First person" (meaning really up close)
                  • UT3 style (close)
                  • UT2004 style (far enough to see the whole vehicle... should have been the default)
                  • Far
                  • Extreme (not for all vehicles)

Originally posted by дгthайoѕ View Post
                  camera control doesn't work on the Nemesis, was this intentional or is it a bug?
                  Bug. The Nemesis is a very special case as it zooms on altfire and has different settings for crouched mode. I tried to work with it but apparently failed. Maybe next time.

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                  In UT2004, the zoom-in/zoom-out is active by default with the scroll mouse button & it is incremental on every vehicles and turrets.
                  Epic coded the foundation for this system but then turned it off. I mostly just turned it back on. I suspect the reason they turned it off is because it doesn't seem to work online. We're still looking into that.

Is this mutator do the same on all vehicles & turrets ?
                  All vehicles and turrets that do not already allow you to zoom, at least.

it is compatible with 3Rd person mutator ?
                  You tell me.

Comment

Just put this on my clans server and it works online just fine. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JD8 View Post
                      it works online just fine.
                      That's great! Thanks for letting me know!

I'll see if I can get an update together.

Comment

Holy **** thank you so much .

Comment

Xyx, you rock!!
                          I will test it this week end

Comment

Beta 2 available. See top post.

Changes:
                            • Rewritten code to provide more control over the presets.
                            • Tweaked presets.
                            • Camera distance is now saved between games (stored in Config\UTCameraControl.ini).
                            • Re-done Nemesis.

Please let me know whether...
                            1. it still works online (I have no reason to suspect it wouldn't, but...)
                            2. the Nemesis works now.
                            3. you feel any of the presets should be altered.

Preset 0: "First Person" (not true first person perspective, but close).
                            Preset 1: Epic's UT3 default (which is usually too close to see the rear of the vehicle).
                            Preset 2: UT2004 style, my preference; just far enough back to see the rear of the vehicle.
                            Preset 3: Wide camera.
                            Preset 4: Extreme camera (not on all vehicles - some get glitchy at this range).

The reason I chose to work with preset values is so you wouldn't have to scroll so much. Now a single flick of the scroll wheel can take you from "First Person" to a wide camera setting.

Comment

B2 sound very interesting

I'll try this mut this weekend and comments if I found anything

THX

Comment

Working...
                              X