CTF-Windswept Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    dude, i don't know if you're still working on this map, but you should totally finish this one! =D

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Like the thief of Baghdad, over the roofs and Whoop! Gone! I like it too, but I can see why you would want to make it hard, make it easier to shoot down that flag carrying thief type dude!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is a fantastic CTF map! Even if you were going to leave it just the way it is, I'd still love it. It has a nice clean look, reminds me of the HOLP pack. I love the feel too, the rooftops and the alleyways. The fact that you are going to pretty it up is awesome, you have incredible skills. I can't wait ^_^

Now I know you didn't like the idea of letting the flag carrier on the rooftops but... I sort of wish it was possible. When I saw the screens, that's the idea I liked most, escaping over them. It will be great anyway, just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Glad someone's actually interested in this. I haven't been making much progress lately, though, as all my mapping time has been devoted to working on The Ball. I won't be going back to this until I've finished my contribution to that mod.

Here's some screens of some of the new meshes I've made so far:

When I'm done I plan on using these assets again for some kind of Warfare map in an expanded city.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    *Bump* Hey Setheran, how's it going? Just checking in, hope you're well. Waaahhh!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
    ...People should also realize that because they make a suggestion, the mapper doesn't have to agree, and everybody should be cool with that.
    Hey, I've suggest and explained why Still, he has the last word. I was not angry on my previous post even if it maybe sound like. I'm cool with that and in several months, I'll say thank you for the map

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I didn't play it, so I didn't rate it. I agree with you that people should say why they think its good/bad and how they think it could be better. People should also realize that because they make a suggestion, the mapper doesn't have to agree, and everybody should be cool with that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm always willing to try suggestions if they've been thought through and make sense to me. Mapping and testing is just too much of a time consuming process to go making big changes to a level for no other reason than "just to see what happens". Even if you're just experimenting you still have to have some idea of why you're making a particular layout change and what the results will be.

I'm still trying to learn what makes good CTF gameplay, so if the current layout is bad I'd rather get a thorough understanding of why specifically that is before trying to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I understand your POV but the fact is regardless if I have OR don't have the flag, I would like to take the lower paths AND/OR the higher paths without teleport. That is how UT99-2004 maps where made and that is why they where the best UT CTF maps.

I'm not here to convince you, I'm not a sailor, I'm here to suggest things that could help you. I don't understand why it seem so much complicated to give it a try. Yes I understand what you wrote about gameplay and such but...

Yes, it's essential that we think before acting but sometime, even if it look or sound odd, to try something that does not fit with your principle could surprise you in a good way. I'm the king of guy that think as you AND experiment other ideas to just to see what append.

Anyway, since your not willing to try nothing, I don't see the interest of suggesting anything.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by stevelois View Post
    I agree with you that many paths makes catching up to flag carriers very frustrating sometime since you don't see it. Perhaps, lower the upper walls will show up the flag even if you're on the ground. Don't forget that my suggestions of oppening the buildings are concerning only a 2 buildings (3 with the tower), it is not about changing the layout, but simply make it more diversify, less limited, more open. Try it, you'll see
    Lowering the upper walls would mean less cover in the map, so that would be no good.

I think I may try opening the tower with the pillars, but what exactly is bad about being limited to the streets when you've got the flag? There are still many, many branching paths, but you've got a greater challenge and have to rely on team mates with translocators to cover you from the rooftops. If anything it means more diversity in the gameplay of the map because you'll usually be attacking almost exclusively via the rooftops and then flag-running back to base along a whole other set of paths. So what about that creates bad gameplay in your opinion?

Also I'd love it if those who are giving the map "Bad" and "Terrible" ratings would come out of hiding and tell me what needs improving. There's nothing to be afraid of if you've got some reasoning to back it up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The SR is alrright now IMO, if the towers would end being better sniping places, a quick catch and back with the transocator would do the work, maybe the towers could have snipers ammo thought.

And for accesing the rooftops with teh flag (or withouth the translocator) maybe it could be done via teh towers, and they could have inside spiral stairways, so if you enter, you would need to spend some time without translocator, and rewarding the ones who use it.

I felt like it was part of the idea of the map to encourage the use of teh translocator, that way, roof would be still be accesible via walking, but is still easiera and quicker using the translocator.

and some stinger and DE pickups would be nice.. maybe the stinger one inside the tower? since is not an open area.

hope that ideas are useful

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well if you don't have the flag, yes indeed you can teleport where you want but if you have the enemy flag, the way the layout is ATM, you are stuck to stay on the ground. Only few places give you access to the roof and they are far from the base.

I agree with you that many paths makes catching up to flag carriers very frustrating sometime since you don't see it. Perhaps, lower the upper walls will show up the flag even if you're on the ground. Don't forget that my suggestions of oppening the buildings are concerning only a 2 buildings (3 with the tower), it is not about changing the layout, but simply make it more diversify, less limited, more open. Try it, you'll see

It is not everyone that like to always swith translocator/weapons and that is one of the reason why you most provide access to all the map keeping in mind that you can go everywhere on foot except for special features like powerups.

For the SR, maybe if you put it where the RL is right now, at least, he won't be directly in the tower as you wish to and we can have access to that weapon without teleporting. You don't need to add someting to replace the SR. The visuals will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the layout feedback stevelois. Some of it makes sense to me, but you might have to elaborate on a few of the things before I'd be willing to consider them.
    I've got some example of open up the buildings (yellow lines) or having the possibilities to go from lower level to higher level :

[screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8376/screenshot00001tf3.jpg[/screenshot]
    That's something I could try, but I don't like the fact that it gives you instant access to the rooftops as soon as you've grabbed the enemy flag. The impression I got from playing all of Epic's maps and various others was that CTF layouts shouldn't be too complex or have too many branching paths, probably partially because you've got no radar and too many paths makes catching up to flag carriers too frustrating. So the idea was that getting the flag is easy, but you're confined to the alleyways for the journey back to base.
    The SR is not a bad placement but it is angle of vision is very limited. IMO, it could be more useful in the tower or in the sqare building. If you open uo those, the angle of vision could be 360 degres.
    Those towers were put there specifically for snipers, but that doesn't mean the weapon itself has to be all the way up there. Right now it's positioned so that it's quick and easy to access after spawning while still being in a place where it's a useful weapon. It's not the best sniping spot on the map, but if players want to get to those they can just grab the rifle and translocate there.
    I found 2 RL on both side. I'm maybe blind but I did not find the DE and stinger ? I would replace the RL from the last pic by the DE or the stinger.
    I think I'll definitely replace one of those, but I'm not sure with what yet. I hate the Stinger in maps with open space, though, so I'd rather it wasn't that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, since you want comments about the layout, I found it interesting.

Therefore, I've got the feeling of been very small even if the map is wide open. I mean, the building are very big, tall and they aren't useful because they are all closed. So in a way, the building are there but the choices that you have is to travel on them or around them but not through them.

The best CTF maps use all possibilities that the structure as to offer. You have the choice of passing on, below and through the structures to go to higher and lower level. You have the choice to use the translocator or not using it passing through the structures. Not using the translocator required having platters easly accessible with fluidity.

I like this map but it miss 3 ingredients.

1- The ability to used the inner building.
    2- The amount of cover when traveling on foot.
    3- Most platters are accessible by double jump, it get annoying. By default, going plater to plater should be doable only with jumping and double jump only in certain area only for a nice item to collect.

I've got some example of open up the buildings (yellow lines) or having the possibilities to go from lower level to higher level :

[screenshot]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6273/screenshot00000yq1.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8376/screenshot00001tf3.jpg[/screenshot]

This is another example of merging the different platters together.

[screenshot]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6797/screenshot00002qx3.jpg[/screenshot]

The SR is not a bad placement but it is angle of vision is very limited. IMO, it could be more useful in the tower or in the sqare building. If you open uo those, the angle of vision could be 360 degres. You can see that I just add a way to go from the sniper level to the higher level

[screenshot]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3853/screenshot00004rk0.jpg[/screenshot]

At the bottom of this building, behind the pillars, there could be a room with a lift inside to get the player in the tover or the dome if you apply the previous suggestion.

[screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3750/screenshot00003sy3.jpg[/screenshot]

I found 2 RL on both side. I'm maybe blind but I did not find the DE and stinger ? I would replace the RL from the last pic by the DE or the stinger.

Finally, about the possibility to travel on the higher level with the flag, ATM, it is very easy, to much for my taste but if you put my suggestions, the higher level of the map will be more difficult to pass through from a distance this time.

Keep it up

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe leave the top open, but put sniper roosts at the corners? Wide open isn't always the best place to be, especially when someone locks onto you with a Rocket. If there is enough acess to it, so smaller teams can get up quickly and stop that flag carrier, it should be ok. Also, weapons. You stick your head up, sometimes it gets chopped off. As long as the other team can quickly get a weapon and a shot, the top will be a scary place to surf, IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X