Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Windswept Alpha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Windswept Alpha

Name: CTF_Windswept
    Version: Alpha
    Description: Fast-paced CTF map set in a small desert town with a river running through the middle. Players can use translocators to make their way across the many rooftops and access high sniping points, but are limited to the narrow, branching alleyways when returning with the flag.
    Players: 8-10

PC Download: http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Winds.../fileinfo.html

Screenshot:

Comments:
    This is my first attempt at a CTF map, and I'm far from a veteran of that gametype, so I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on how this is coming along.

As an alpha version it's pretty much pure BSP right now, and the textures are only there to stop it looking utterly dull, so don't take its current looks as any indication of what the finished map will be like. I plan on creating a lot of custom models for the buildings and walls, with the aim of recreating a look and feel similar to the cities in Assassin's Creed, which was my inspiration for the map.

I've already made a start on the modelling, but before I get too far into it I need to finalise the layout as much as possible. I've worked hard on the layout and find the map good fun myself, but there are always things I miss. So how does it play as a CTF map? Is there too much or too little space, enough variation in terrain, etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It plays pretty great so far. I really like the way your map encourages the use of the translocator. The slow field generator is also an interesting twist

I only have two suggestions as of now:

1. It's possible to get on the outer walls of the map and run across them all the way to the enemy base. It kind of feels like cheating, I suggest that you put some blocking volumes there.

2. This place looks like something should be there. Maybe a portal to the opposite wall of the base? Maybe a chamber with a powerup? I'll leave that choice to you.

[shot]http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1623/screenshot00030mq6.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Nice. i like the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
        Name:I plan on creating a lot of custom models for the buildings and walls, with the aim of recreating a look and feel similar to the cities in Assassin's Creed, which was my inspiration for the map.
        That was my initial thought when I saw the picture. Instantly reminded me of the jerusalem areas of Assassin's Creed. I think it might have been the tall towers (will there be eagles flying around them :P).

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far.

I haven't quite made my mind up about blocking off the walls yet. I like the idea of letting the players have full access to the entire town, but it might be a little too far removed from the main layout. Maybe if I break it up with towers and collapsed sections, so it's less of a straight line to run along.

Any more opinions on the slow field generator? I thought it would be interesting as a means of blocking off routes for flag runners, or just helping to defend the flag in a map where it's otherwise very easy to grab it, but in practice I never feel compelled to go for it.

Comment

And here i thought it was gonna be another EPIC looking mega-structure based map.

Comment

Any more feedback? I need to get any major layout changes out of the way before I can start decorating in earnest.

Comment

I think that putting towers on the outer walls might solve the issue, as long as you make sure it's not possible to go around them by side-jumping and translocating back to the outer wall.

The only other thing I can suggest (aside from what I've said before), would be to make the water canal a bit deeper, but that's just a taste thing, I guess.

Originally posted by Mr.UglyPants View Post
                And here i thought it was gonna be another EPIC looking mega-structure based map.
                Do I sense a tone of disappointment? The map plays great already, you should give it a chance.

Comment

the map plays pretty neat..

still, maybe you could expand a little the towers idea, giving both towers an interior top floor from which snipe with more ease, and being accesible via a long stair, so if the flag bearer wants to use it to reach the upper levels, he still needs to spend some time inside where he could get easly ambushed

thought the layout it's pretty nice as it is now, it's only an idea

Comment

Originally posted by sheld0n View Post
                    Do I sense a tone of disappointment? The map plays great already, you should give it a chance.
                    Kind of, i'm just a detail ***** and have loved Setheran's MegaStructure and Steamtemple.

Comment

Maybe leave the top open, but put sniper roosts at the corners? Wide open isn't always the best place to be, especially when someone locks onto you with a Rocket. If there is enough acess to it, so smaller teams can get up quickly and stop that flag carrier, it should be ok. Also, weapons. You stick your head up, sometimes it gets chopped off. As long as the other team can quickly get a weapon and a shot, the top will be a scary place to surf, IMO.

Comment

Well, since you want comments about the layout, I found it interesting.

Therefore, I've got the feeling of been very small even if the map is wide open. I mean, the building are very big, tall and they aren't useful because they are all closed. So in a way, the building are there but the choices that you have is to travel on them or around them but not through them.

The best CTF maps use all possibilities that the structure as to offer. You have the choice of passing on, below and through the structures to go to higher and lower level. You have the choice to use the translocator or not using it passing through the structures. Not using the translocator required having platters easly accessible with fluidity.

I like this map but it miss 3 ingredients.

1- The ability to used the inner building.
                        2- The amount of cover when traveling on foot.
                        3- Most platters are accessible by double jump, it get annoying. By default, going plater to plater should be doable only with jumping and double jump only in certain area only for a nice item to collect.

I've got some example of open up the buildings (yellow lines) or having the possibilities to go from lower level to higher level :

[screenshot]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6273/screenshot00000yq1.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8376/screenshot00001tf3.jpg[/screenshot]

This is another example of merging the different platters together.

[screenshot]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6797/screenshot00002qx3.jpg[/screenshot]

The SR is not a bad placement but it is angle of vision is very limited. IMO, it could be more useful in the tower or in the sqare building. If you open uo those, the angle of vision could be 360 degres. You can see that I just add a way to go from the sniper level to the higher level

[screenshot]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3853/screenshot00004rk0.jpg[/screenshot]

At the bottom of this building, behind the pillars, there could be a room with a lift inside to get the player in the tover or the dome if you apply the previous suggestion.

[screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3750/screenshot00003sy3.jpg[/screenshot]

I found 2 RL on both side. I'm maybe blind but I did not find the DE and stinger ? I would replace the RL from the last pic by the DE or the stinger.

Finally, about the possibility to travel on the higher level with the flag, ATM, it is very easy, to much for my taste but if you put my suggestions, the higher level of the map will be more difficult to pass through from a distance this time.

Keep it up

Comment

Thanks for the layout feedback stevelois. Some of it makes sense to me, but you might have to elaborate on a few of the things before I'd be willing to consider them.
                          Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                          I've got some example of open up the buildings (yellow lines) or having the possibilities to go from lower level to higher level :

[screenshot]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8376/screenshot00001tf3.jpg[/screenshot]
                          That's something I could try, but I don't like the fact that it gives you instant access to the rooftops as soon as you've grabbed the enemy flag. The impression I got from playing all of Epic's maps and various others was that CTF layouts shouldn't be too complex or have too many branching paths, probably partially because you've got no radar and too many paths makes catching up to flag carriers too frustrating. So the idea was that getting the flag is easy, but you're confined to the alleyways for the journey back to base.
                          Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                          The SR is not a bad placement but it is angle of vision is very limited. IMO, it could be more useful in the tower or in the sqare building. If you open uo those, the angle of vision could be 360 degres.
                          Those towers were put there specifically for snipers, but that doesn't mean the weapon itself has to be all the way up there. Right now it's positioned so that it's quick and easy to access after spawning while still being in a place where it's a useful weapon. It's not the best sniping spot on the map, but if players want to get to those they can just grab the rifle and translocate there.
                          I found 2 RL on both side. I'm maybe blind but I did not find the DE and stinger ? I would replace the RL from the last pic by the DE or the stinger.
                          I think I'll definitely replace one of those, but I'm not sure with what yet. I hate the Stinger in maps with open space, though, so I'd rather it wasn't that.

Comment

Well if you don't have the flag, yes indeed you can teleport where you want but if you have the enemy flag, the way the layout is ATM, you are stuck to stay on the ground. Only few places give you access to the roof and they are far from the base.

I agree with you that many paths makes catching up to flag carriers very frustrating sometime since you don't see it. Perhaps, lower the upper walls will show up the flag even if you're on the ground. Don't forget that my suggestions of oppening the buildings are concerning only a 2 buildings (3 with the tower), it is not about changing the layout, but simply make it more diversify, less limited, more open. Try it, you'll see

It is not everyone that like to always swith translocator/weapons and that is one of the reason why you most provide access to all the map keeping in mind that you can go everywhere on foot except for special features like powerups.

For the SR, maybe if you put it where the RL is right now, at least, he won't be directly in the tower as you wish to and we can have access to that weapon without teleporting. You don't need to add someting to replace the SR. The visuals will do the job.

Comment

The SR is alrright now IMO, if the towers would end being better sniping places, a quick catch and back with the transocator would do the work, maybe the towers could have snipers ammo thought.

And for accesing the rooftops with teh flag (or withouth the translocator) maybe it could be done via teh towers, and they could have inside spiral stairways, so if you enter, you would need to spend some time without translocator, and rewarding the ones who use it.

I felt like it was part of the idea of the map to encourage the use of teh translocator, that way, roof would be still be accesible via walking, but is still easiera and quicker using the translocator.

and some stinger and DE pickups would be nice.. maybe the stinger one inside the tower? since is not an open area.

hope that ideas are useful

Comment

Working...
                              X