• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-ActionCity3 (Beta 3)(D/L)(PICS)

Name: ACTIONCITY3
    Version: Beta 3
    Compatibility: PC v1.3
    Description: The City is back! The walls are up, the stage is set, and as of now we are keeping score!
    Comments: It's a beta. Things are still ugly and stuff. It'll get better.
    Screenshot:

Credits: Circus BT who made the original 2k4 masterpiece!
    Homepage: http://www.utforce.com
    Download: http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+Acti.../fileinfo.html

yeesssss!!!!!!

Comment

it a good idea hope bate is wiil be ready soon lol

Comment

Nice, the only thing which might cause some differences in the gameplay, is the original was primarily a manta run map, although if you did want people to stand on the manta, here's something which might help you... link

I haven't tried this, and I have no idea how you'd go about incorporating the code for this into the map, but i'm sure someone here can help.

Comment

I've thought a lot about that problem: that the original map relied heavily on manta runs. I'd rather not insert extra code because I don't like fundamentally changing the game just to make my precious map worth playing.

My favorite flag runs in that map were always on foot, dodging between buildings, paranoid because I had 20 guys fanned out over the whole city hunting me down.

So manta runs, at least in the form we used to know them, are out of the question. I'm pretty sure it's just going to come down to vehicle balance. The first beta will have the tanks where we all know and love them, but if the map ends up with five hour stalemates (like Corruption), then maybe we swap the tanks out for Nemesis's (or however you make that plural), which are easier to kill on foot, due to the lack of splash damage from their shots.

I'm positive with the wide variety of vehicles available, and me not having to stick to only Axon or only Necro or whatever, that I'll (we'll) be able to come up with something awesome.

It's still going to take a lot of teamwork to pull of a cap, but ActionCity was like that in the old version to, even if it was just two guys and a deemer.

Comment

I think manta runs are still feasible, if you put together a capable driver and skilled grappler. Not many people know how to avoid damage while grappling a manta. Not just crouch then move up and down the grapple, but knowing when to detach and attach again is critical. I guarantee if you give me a skilled driver I could run grappled circles around anyone on ActionCity3 (when it comes out ).

I guess it really comes down to feeling it out, and trying some cooperative team play to see how it works. If foot runs are going to be the main basis of caps on this map, there will prolly need to be a lot more foot runs built into the map then what the 2k4 map had. I would suspect some building runs that go inside buildings, jump from window to window, a rooftop here and there, and mad dash type stuff (hopefully less on the mad dash side of it).

I think working out some really technical flag runs involving a lot of fancy foot work will do this map good, but at the same time noobs might have issues, at least until they catch on to the fancy foot work.

Comment

Well, they still wouldn't be manta runs the way you had them in 2k4. You know, you look away from the flag for half a second and woosh, your flag is half way back to the enemy base.

Come to think of it, having those out of the picture will probably be a good thing.

Jumping from building to building via windows or something does sound really appealing. Hm.

Comment

With a much needed face lift, itd make a good level.

Comment

If my version is too... you know... 2k4-ish... someone is MORE than welcome to do a full fledged UT3 crazy static meshed out version.

Comment

This map *should* be ready for an initial beta test, wherein you all get to tell me that the vehicle balance sucks, the level is ugly, and the bots are completely retarded, by the weekend.

Also, Sniper, I talked to Wup a lot over the weekend, but he gave me the vent info and everything over x-fire, which I of course promptly closed like an idiot after getting out of the game.

So can you have him PM the info to me or something? Also, I'm supposed to send you guys the level so you can trick your own version out with your crazy hedsteem mods, so... I'll PM you a link to the uncooked beta after it's ready.

Comment

Manta runs were an exploit in Ut2004 and had nothing to do with map building.
                      Fault the designers and can easily be fixed with class blockers around the flags. ect

Thus Actioncity was not designed as a manta run map but only exploited by those weaker players. Many of BTs maps were redone to include class blockers later to try and rid the infestation. Actioncity was not but 1ANextCity and nextcity2 were along with about 50 other great BT maps!

I would redo them all but lost interest in UT3 and map builds.

Heres circus old map download site still up!
                      http://groups.msn.com/CircusNEWmapsa...st&sortstring=

Comment

ANICK can i ask why you lost you interest in ut3 and mapping

Comment

Well guys it looks like the beta might be a little late, there are still a couple issues I'm trying to figure out, and I don't want to release an inherently broken beta (cough), so I'm going to wait until it's actually ready to release before putting out the beta demo (cough cough)

In the meantime, here's a screenshot:

Comment

Download link!
                            http://files.filefront.com/ActionCit.../fileinfo.html

Getting screen shots as we speak!

Comment

SO MADE FOR HEDSTEEM server and i do remember for ut2004 love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X